Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- indy5 - 2010-07-14

sladinki007 Wrote:HI,

it is explained in this thread but for linux

for windows
symlinks will do the trick

see this site for some info

Thanks! This worked out just fine for me. It will be a good workaround to something a bit more "built in" comes along.

- Larzjg - 2010-07-15

Installation took a bit, but I have a MySQL solution running on a WHS and I'm connecting with svn31755 from a few different machines and it's mostly going well - a few issues have cropped up, tho.

1. Last episode of Deadliest Catch is not appearing in the library. No matter how much I work on it, it doesn't want to - manually adding it won't do the trick, update library doesn't work either. It's there in the file list, and plays fine - just never finds its way to the Library. Since this is the first episode I've gotten after switching to MySQL, I'm a little worried.

My TV-source won't keep the setting "Run Automated Scan" when I edit the source, whenever I leave XBMC it forgets the setting. Might be related - what am I looking for in logs here? Last log was 2 mb long, not really able to read through it all.

2. The fanart/posters just refuse to update without me doing it manually, and this happened after the MySQL update. On the NAS I have .tbn for each episode, and a folder.jpg banner in each folder - but they're banners, not fanart. In XBMC the only fanart I get is if I edit the show manually and choose one - they were there before I changed to MySQL.

3. (Semi-offtopic here, I'm guessing?) I'm using the XBMC Remote iPhone application, and after switching it's giving me three instances of the same tv-show in the show list - and the names of shows tend to end with a </record> or similar end-tag. Any clues where I look for help with that?

Appreciate whoever you are taking the time to read this.

- RockDawg - 2010-07-16

I'm having some problems with the centralized thumbs. I know how to create a mount to the central thumbnail location and it works fine when I run it manually. The problem is trying to get the mount to be auto-created at boot. As per some advice from way back in this thread, I put the following line in my /etc/init.d/rc.local:

Code:
mount -t cifs -o file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 //192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails  /home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails

This worked for me for months. Recently, I upgrade to a new build of XBMC running on Lucid and putting that line in my /etc/init.d/rc.local no longer auto-creates the mount on boot (tried on two different machines). I can still run it manually and it works great. I also got some advice that it would be better to do this via fstab so I put the following in my /etc/fstab:

Code:
//192.168.1.20/disk7/xmbc_thumbs/Thumbnails  /home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails   cifs   _netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

That doesn't do it either. I just need a way to get this to run automatically at boot since the old method doesn't seem to work anymore. Can anyone help?

- bmillham - 2010-07-16

RockDawg Wrote:I'm having some problems with the centralized thumbs. I know how to create a mount to the central thumbnail location and it works fine when I run it manually. The problem is trying to get the mount to be auto-created at boot. As per some advice from way back in this thread, I put the following line in my /etc/init.d/rc.local:

Code:
mount -t cifs -o file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 //192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails  /home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails

This worked for me for months. Recently, I upgrade to a new build of XBMC running on Lucid and putting that line in my /etc/init.d/rc.local no longer auto-creates the mount on boot (tried on two different machines). I can still run it manually and it works great. I also got some advice that it would be better to do this via fstab so I put the following in my /etc/fstab:

Code:
//192.168.1.20/disk7/XBMC_thumbs/Thumbnails  /home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails   cifs   _netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

That doesn't do it either. I just need a way to get this to run automatically at boot since the old method doesn't seem to work anymore. Can anyone help?

Here's whats in my fstab:

Code:
//192.168.0.200/Movies /tardis/movies cifs auto,credentials=/root/.credentials,uid=1000,umask=000,user 0 0
//192.168.0.200/Thumbnails /home/brian/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails cifs auto,credentials=/root/.credentials,uid=1000,umask=000,user 0 0

and the .credentials file:

Code:
username=brian
password=passwordgoeshere
No problems for me with this setup.

- RockDawg - 2010-07-16

Maybe it's the "credentials=/root/.credentials" part that is screwing me up. My 192.168.1.20/disk7/XBMC_thumbs/Thumbnails share is not password protected (as far as I can tell) so I've never used the "credentials" portion. When I manually run the command I don't have to enter any credentials. Just the password to run as root.

- bmillham - 2010-07-16

RockDawg Wrote:Maybe it's the "credentials=/root/.credentials" part that is screwing me up. My 192.168.1.20/disk7/XBMC_thumbs/Thumbnails share is not password protected (as far as I can tell) so I've never used the "credentials" portion. When I manually run the command I don't have to enter any credentials. Just the password to run as root.

I added the credentials because while my shares were open, I could never get things to work correctly until I added the credentials. I had to set up the user brian on the windows server and give full access.

Like you are seeing, sometimes things would mount OK when booting, and othertimes I'd have to manually mount. Adding the credentials took care of it for me.

- RockDawg - 2010-07-16

I'll try that. What is the format of your .credentials file? Should it be:

username=xxxxx
password=xxxxx

or

smbusername=xxxxx
smbpassword=xxxxx

- bmillham - 2010-07-16

RockDawg Wrote:I'll try that. What is the format of your .credentials file? Should it be:

username=xxxxx
password=xxxxx

or

smbusername=xxxxx
smbpassword=xxxxx

username=x
password=x

And the /root/.credentials file must be mode 0600

- RockDawg - 2010-07-16

That worked! Thanks so much! I just now saw that you previously showed the format of the .credentails file. Sorry for not reading thoroughly before asking additional questions. Thanks again!

EDIT: For future reference the final entry in /etc/fstab that worked is:

Code:
//192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails  /home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails   cifs  credentials=/home/kevin/.credentials,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

where .credentials contained:

Code:
username=root

- bmillham - 2010-07-16

RockDawg Wrote:That worked! Thanks so much! I just now saw that you previously showed the format of the .credentails file. Sorry for not reading thoroughly before asking additional questions. Thanks again!

EDIT: For future reference the final entry in /etc/fstab that worked is:

Code:
//192.168.1.20/disk7/xbmc_thumbs/Thumbnails  /home/kevin/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails   cifs  credentials=/home/kevin/.credentials,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

where .credentials contained:

Code:
username=root

You may not have seen the credentials because when I posted I didn't have that info. I added it about a minute later, so that's why you probably didn't see it.

Glad to be of help however Laugh

- ijhammo - 2010-07-16

Apologies if this has been posted and answered elsewhere, but as yet I have not been able to find an answer to this question.

I am about to start playing with the centralised MySQL based library but there is one thing I need to check.

Is the audio offset delay for each piece of media stored centrally as part of the library or locally on each machine?

The reason I ask is that although both my XBMC installs are running on Acer Revos (Awesome btw) they are configured slightly differently (one uses HDMI for audio, the other SPDIF) and are connected to different AV Amps. The upshot is that for the same file I need a different offset depending on which Revo I am viewing on. This is fine for me as I can quickly adjust, but not so great for the WAF.

[Edit - this goes for the view as well (16:9, 14:9, 4:3 etc etc) which may need to be different per player]

If anyone knows the answer to this or could point me in the right direction that would be ace!

- robinsj - 2010-07-16

Those would all be device specific. You shouldn't have to do anything for audio offset, that should all be automagically handled.

- ijhammo - 2010-07-17

robinsj Wrote:Those would all be device specific. You shouldn't have to do anything for audio offset, that should all be automagically handled.

I am not so sure it is. The audio offset can be set per video file - ie, it can be different for each piece of media - which is a good thing as not everything I have uses the same offset. But, I suspect that the offset info (as well as aspect ratio etc) are held in the library for each piece of media - rather than locally.

If your source file has been created with the audio of synch with the video, or your AV equipment introduces some form of delay - there is nothin XBMC can do about it automagically (as much as I wish there were! Laugh)

- MrDVD - 2010-07-18

Hallo, anyone have the same error like me ?

The error is follow:
Code:
<cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
inside advancedsettings.xml works for me only for tv shows and not for movies Sad

- charrua - 2010-07-18

ijhammo Wrote:Is the audio offset delay for each piece of media stored centrally as part of the library or locally on each machine?
If anyone knows the answer to this or could point me in the right direction that would be ace!
Yes, audio offset and subtitle delay settings are stored in the central db, in the settings table.