Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- charrua - 2010-08-27

mwkurt Wrote:Hello,

As a continuation of the plea for help above I am writing this.

I tried to install mysql again. I think because I reinstalled mysql more than once, I got an error message on the security settings, so I installed without security settings. Is that okay?

Now.....when I add the advancedsettings.xml with the videodb part, as described in the 2nd post of this thread, my "Movies" and "TVShows" selections on my home menu disappear and I can not get into Library mode. Is that what is supposed to happen?
After importing my db back into XBMC, those two menu items are still not there. Anything I can do short of reformatting? All help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
Post a debug log from XBMC, otherwise it's not easy to guess what's happening.

- mwkurt - 2010-08-27

Hi Charra!

Here is the log:

http://pastebin.com/1WANKrhq

A couple things...

I uninstalled mysql numerous times, first by the configuration tool, then by control panel and then deleted the folder and restart.

Trying to reinstall, It always asks me for the previous password then enter a new password and confirm. If I remember correctly, the first time I tried to install, there were only two boxes, one to enter password and one for confirmation.

Ever since the first try at installing, I can not get past the "configuring security settings" portion of the last window. I get an error that say 1045, I think it is.

I hope that you can help me.

Thanks,
Mark

- charrua - 2010-08-27

Hi, you are typing the wrong old password for root when reinstalling (error 1045).
Then when you start XBMC it's trying to connect to the MySQL server with a wrong password.

Reinstall, change the root password, create the xbmc user, and then start XBMC.
If you don't remember the old root password, you can reset it with this procedure.

- RockDawg - 2010-08-27

mwkurt - I don't see where you mention creating the db in mysql? Have you done that? I'm pretty sure XBMC won't automatically create it. I manually created mine.

- charrua - 2010-08-27

RockDawg Wrote:mwkurt - I don't see where you mention creating the db in mysql? Have you done that? I'm pretty sure XBMC won't automatically create it. I manually created mine.
XBMC will automatically create the db if it's not there (or just the tables if the db already exists but it's empty), it just needs the right credentials to login to the MySQL server.

- craigd - 2010-08-27

install the workbench tool on your sql server and you'll easily be able to see what db's and users have been created and be able to edit permissions etc.

- mwkurt - 2010-08-27

Craigd,

I did install the workbench tool, but by the looks of it, I didn't have time to try to figure it out. It looks pretty complex, with lots of options to select. I couldn't figure out what to do with it once I opened it.

Thanks,
Mark

- mwkurt - 2010-08-27

Charra,

Thanks for the reply. Does this "root" password have anything to do with the "user" and "password" that we put into the advancedsettings.xml? I am sort of, well alot, confused about these passwords. Is it possible to operate mysql without the passwords, just leave them blank? Am I going to have to enter a password everytime I try to peruse the database through XBMC?

Thanks,
Mark

- craigd - 2010-08-27

I don't think sql will work without a password. You won't need to enter them again as they go in your advanced settings.xml

The root password should be set up when you install sql. Once installed install workbench and in the left hand column connect to a server and input 127.0.0.1 which will connect and show you schemas and users are setup on the system.

create and xbmc user if you didn't do this during setup and easiest is just to give it full rights.

start xbmc then log back in to check if the databases have created successfully

once you get there with the databases created you should be able to scan and import as usual.

I'll try to do a step by step with screen shots over the weekend if you still have problems as my memory is pathetic at remembering what goes where when I'm not right on front of the screen.

- charrua - 2010-08-27

mwkurt Wrote:Charra,
Thanks for the reply. Does this "root" password have anything to do with the "user" and "password" that we put into the advancedsettings.xml? I am sort of, well alot, confused about these passwords. Is it possible to operate mysql without the passwords, just leave them blank? Am I going to have to enter a password everytime I try to peruse the database through XBMC?
Thanks,
Mark

The "root" account is the administrator account, that's why MySQL asks for a password for that user upon installation, but for XBMC is much better if you use an account other than root. You can create a new account after installation using the workbench tool as craigd recommended, or you can use third party tools such as HeidiSQL which has simpler interface.

- mwkurt - 2010-08-27

So the password that I need to put into mysql when setting it up is the same password that I use to log into my computer? Or am I wrong about that. When you say "Asministrator account" you mean Admin for MySQL and not my computer as a whole?

- charrua - 2010-08-27

mwkurt Wrote:So the password that I need to put into mysql when setting it up is the same password that I use to log into my computer? Or am I wrong about that. When you say "Asministrator account" you mean Admin for MySQL and not my computer as a whole?
No, is not the administrator password of your PC, I meant that "root" is the administrator user of MySQL server.

- mwkurt - 2010-08-27

charrua,

I tried resetting my root password according to the url that you posted. Here is what I did and what happened:

I installed mysql to the C: folder ---> C:\mysql

I created a text named mysql-init.txt with the following inside of it:

UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('MyNewPass') WHERE User='root';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

I was going to use PASSWORD as my new pasword.

Opened a command prompt and entered the following:

C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt --init-file=C:\\mysql-init.txt

I got the following error message:

C:\mysql\bin\mysql-nt' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Looks like I am F-cked!

I am at a loss now.

I also tried HeidiSQL and got the following error:

SQL error (1045): Access denied for user 'root@localhost (using password: YES)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

- charrua - 2010-08-27

mwkurt Wrote:charrua,
I tried resetting my root password according to the url that you posted. Here is what I did and what happened:
I installed mysql to the C: folder ---> C:\mysql
I created a text named mysql-init.txt with the following inside of it:
UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('MyNewPass') WHERE User='root';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
I was going to use PASSWORD as my new pasword.
Opened a command prompt and entered the following:
C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt --init-file=C:\\mysql-init.txt
I got the following error message:
C:\mysql\bin\mysql-nt' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Try C:\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe --init-file=C:\\mysql-init.txt

- mwkurt - 2010-08-27

Charrua,

Here is an update to my problem.

I went through my computer and found all instances of mysql, and deleted them. This allowed me to go back and reinstall mysql and enter new passwords. In my case I made the passwrord "xbmc", without the quotes.

I started XBMC and expected something to happen in the way of making a datbase and nothing happened. Here is my log file:

http://pastebin.com/RzDKYg3W

XBMC still can't open the database and it says (1045) but HeidlSQL works now and I can open my db structure when I enter the password "xbmc".

How do I get XBMC to integrate with mysql now?

Thanks,
Mark