Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- ringgh0st - 2010-10-28

BDPNA Wrote:Definitely. I've tried a few different versions of Aeon which all support it. Avus, how do you store your extrathumbs? I store mine locally in an "extrathumbs" folder within each movie folder. Maybe you are storing yours differently but I didn't know there was another way. They load fine when using XBMC on the host machine where they actually are stored, but they do not load on any of the remote machines. What skin are you using, Avus?

Fanart and Thumbnail work fine.

i'd also like to get fanart/thumbnails working on my remote clients. is there any tutorial to get it working while using a mysql db?

what i already did: i scraped all the movies and series with ember media manager and let store the posters, fanarts and covers in the movie folders themselves.

but no luck. i only can see the fanart... and only in some movies.

and where are the thumbnails stored?

- BDPNA - 2010-10-28

Ring - Try here.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84130

I've been scouring this thread, but don't see any answer to this one -- Has anyone else had freezes/slowness for around 10/15 seconds anytime you enter or exit the homescreen? When I first load xbmc, there's around 10/15 seconds where the UI is choppy and unusable, then it clears up and goes back to normal speed. Same delay when switching into the movie library, and then again, same delay anytime I return to the main homescreen (even going from the settings screens, for example, and back to the homescreen, I get this slowdown).

This only happens on my Linux machine running xbmc live. It does not happen on my Mac Mini. Both are running Dharma 3 and the same skin/config. Both are using MySQL and accessing a remote DB (neither are local) and both using a remote thumbnails folder.

I'm wondering if anyone else on a Linux box has seen this. Oh, and yes the box is hardwired on gigabit LAN (all boxes are).

- mwkurt - 2010-10-28

BDPNA,

I have the same problem as you do except that I am running windows 7 32 bit and XBMC Dharma Beta 2. I am wired through a gigabit lan, am using the mysql db and am using a remote thumbnails folder (in the XBMC installed folder on my server) that is connected using symlinks. I always have a 10 to 15 second delay when first entering the home screen as well as going to my movies and TV Shows. I attributed the slowdown to the fact that my server is using 5400rpm hard drives. I am currently using the Transparancy skin.
Mark

- BDPNA - 2010-10-28

Kurt,

Do you see the same slowdown on all your connected systems or just one of them? I have a server (Win7) and two Clients (Mac Mini and a Zotac Ion running Linux).

The Win7 server (where the DB and all the media is) has no speed issues and neither does the Mac Mini. Only the Zotac Ion running Linux exhibits this problem.

Do you only see this on one client system or on your server and all clients too?

- mwkurt - 2010-10-29

BDPNA,

Unfortunately, I have only one client operating now. Will have three more in a month or so.

Mark

- iltasu - 2010-11-05

BDPNA Wrote:Kurt,

Do you see the same slowdown on all your connected systems or just one of them? I have a server (Win7) and two Clients (Mac Mini and a Zotac Ion running Linux).

The Win7 server (where the DB and all the media is) has no speed issues and neither does the Mac Mini. Only the Zotac Ion running Linux exhibits this problem.

Do you only see this on one client system or on your server and all clients too?

I have a setup, not similar, but surely equivalent to yours: 1 NAS (Synology DS410J, which hosts mysql and the Thumbnails), one Zotac ION client and an Asus Ebox b202 client in another room, both show the same behaviour since beta 3 (and beta 4, too), switching from home to video or music takes 20secs or more, going back, the same, I experience such freezes/slownesses even entering the archive (it takes really long to enter the TV Shows, etc.) whenever I play a song or a movie, or an episode, it take lot of seconds to play it, and when I stop it, it takes forever to go back to the list of episodes/movies/songs, when in party mode, it takes a lot to switch the info on what's playing now (say I'm listening to a song, then the song ends and the other starts, before I can see the new songs infos and album cover, the screen stays freezed for abount 30 seconds, it freezes even the visualization effect in the background.

I'm using Confluence as the skin.

Is there a bug report about this? Let's we have to open one?

- BDPNA - 2010-11-06

ilatsu,

I'm not quite sure how to report the bug yet but plan to scour the log to see the exact spot it hangs.

The weird thing is that the xbmc install on my mac mini (apple build of xbmc) using the same sql database remotely shows no signs of delays at all.

I agree, my zotac ion build using ubuntu linux also has delays when starting a video as well, and of course the 20 second hang when switching in or out of the main menus. Not too tolerable.

I'm using Aeon as a skin so this doesn't seem skin related. It seems to be a problem with the linux build of xbmc and the network when sql is enabled (since you have it on your asus ebox as well, I'm assuming it's the linux build as you are running it on both right?)

My guess is that as the network calls are running against the sql database the build is hogging 100% of the system resources causing the hang.

- chaoticmaster - 2010-11-06

I am unable to delete/add any new movies after switch to the mysql. I was able to import my previous movie database. Set content is also unavailable. In the logs below I was trying to remove Zombieland from my Movies.

http://pastebin.com/fAdqnbFm

I am using:
Win 7
MySql 5.1
Dharma Beta 4
Movies are located on a Drobo connect by ISCSI.

- pyramidd - 2010-11-07

chaoticmaster Wrote:I am unable to delete/add any new movies after switch to the mysql. I was able to import my previous movie database. Set content is also unavailable. In the logs below I was trying to remove Zombieland from my Movies.

http://pastebin.com/fAdqnbFm

I am using:
Win 7
MySql 5.1
Dharma Beta 4
Movies are located on a Drobo connect by ISCSI.

same issue. fresh install of dharma4, on win7 with mysql5.1
set content doesnt work, preventing library scan / update
importing an export of my library worked; all movies made it to mysql fine; visible from other machines (same config as above).
all of them have the same issue regarding updating the DB

- Cribbe6 - 2010-11-08

Having the same problem with slow homescreen and video loading.
Just to add to this thread so we can solve it.
I'm using the advanced settings redirect and mounting the Thumbnails dir to the server using fstab.

Server: Ubuntu 10.04 server mysql and thumbnail sharing.

First HTPC is running Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.00 beta4 nuvoton (http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/xbmcfreak-livecd-10-00-beta4-nuvoton/)
No problems here.

Second HTPC is running the official Dharma 4 LiveCD (http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/win32/)
This one have major issues with slow playback and 20s homescreen.

All on Gb network and both HTPC are ION machines.

Update:
Just remembered that I'm using the same dushmaniac's PPA (https://launchpad.net/~lars-opdenkamp/+archive/xbmc-pvr) on both machines.
So maybe it's a problem with the linux compilation coming with Dharma 4 XBMC LiveCD since that is the base for the HTPC with problems.
I also tried disabling shared sql server but leaving the mounted Thumbnails folders intact and that made a difference.
So it might be something wrong with how Dharma 4 XBMC LiveCD handles multiple calls to the sql server, just a shot in the dark.

/Chris

- pyramidd - 2010-11-15

pyramidd Wrote:same issue. fresh install of dharma4, on win7 with mysql5.1
set content doesnt work, preventing library scan / update
importing an export of my library worked; all movies made it to mysql fine; visible from other machines (same config as above).
all of them have the same issue regarding updating the DB

found solution, guessing the problem:

the following paths work locally, not with mysql setup:
-network drive: N:\movies
-IP: \\192:168.1.10\movies

switched to a samba url smb://192.168.1.10/movies and works

I'm guessing the "\" in the first 2 setups break mysql queries
but not the "/" in the samba path

- angrycamel - 2010-11-15

I can't get the latest Windows build to use the localhost mysql database. I have built up the database of content, exported, then imported like others have said to do, but it's still not writing anything into it. Can someone help?

Here is some info (I installed xampp)

Code:
MySQL

* Server: localhost via TCP/IP
    * Server version: 5.1.41
    * Protocol version: 10
    * User: root@localhost
    * MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

Web server

* Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.3.1 mod_apreq2-20090110/2.7.1 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1
    * MySQL client version: 5.1.41
    * PHP extension: mysqli

phpMyAdmin

* Version information: 3.2.4
    * Documentation
    * Wiki
    * Official Homepage
    * [ChangeLog] [Subversion] [Lists]

Here is my log from doing the import of the exported library database.

http://pastebin.ca/1991907

Code:
#
02:03:40 T:2156 M:678719488  NOTICE: Starting XBMC, Platform: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 build 2600.  Built on Dec 23 2009 (SVN:26017, compiler 1500)
#
02:03:40 T:2156 M:678719488  NOTICE:               Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
#
02:03:40 T:2156 M:678719488  NOTICE: Desktop Resolution: 1680x1050 32Bit at 60Hz
#
02:03:40 T:2156 M:678719488  NOTICE: Running with administrator rights
#
02:03:40 T:2156 M:678719488  NOTICE: special://xbmc/ is mapped to: C:\Program Files\XBMC
#
02:03:40 T:2156 M:678715392  NOTICE: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: C:\Program Files\XBMC\userdata
#
02:03:40 T:2156 M:678715392  NOTICE: special://home/ is mapped to: C:\Program Files\XBMC
#
02:03:40 T:2156 M:678715392  NOTICE: special://temp/ is mapped to: C:\Program Files\XBMC\cache
#
02:03:40 T:2156 M:678715392  NOTICE: The executable running is: C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe
#
02:03:40 T:2156 M:678715392  NOTICE: Log File is located: C:\Program Files\XBMC\xbmc.log

Code:
#
                                            <advancedsettings>
#
                                              <gputempcommand>echo &quot;$(nvidia-settings -tq gpuCoreTemp) C&quot;</gputempcommand>
#
                                              <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
#
                                              <videodatabase>
#
                                                <type>mysql</type>
#
                                                <host>localhost</host>
#
                                                <port>3306</port>
#
                                                <user>xbmc</user>
#
                                                <pass>xbmc</pass>
#
                                                <name>xbmc_video</name>
#
                                              </videodatabase>
#
                                              <musicdatabase>
#
                                                <type>mysql</type>
#
                                                <host>localhost</host>
#
                                                <port>3306</port>
#
                                                <user>xbmc</user>
#
                                                <pass>xbmc</pass>
#
                                                <name>xbmc_music</name>
#
                                              </musicdatabase>
#
                                            </advancedsettings>

Thanks,
Rob

- chaoticmaster - 2010-11-16

pyramidd Wrote:found solution, guessing the problem:

the following paths work locally, not with mysql setup:
-network drive: N:\movies
-IP: \\192:168.1.10\movies

switched to a samba url smb://192.168.1.10/movies and works

I'm guessing the "\" in the first 2 setups break mysql queries
but not the "/" in the samba path

This worked for me also.

- buges - 2010-11-16

I dont know if this is of any help but..

There seems to be a problem when using vista & when the server is ubuntu (maybe other linux,dont know)

My server runs ubuntu 10.10 mysql v5.1.41 & everytime xbmc on my main pc running vista connected to the server i was getting 2 connections my username & unauthenticated user & no hostname from vista either! so i added skip-name-resolve & skip-host-cache to /etc/mysql/my.cnf on the server. now when i load xbmc it takes about 1sec for the home screen & about 7sec to load the library with 235 movies. My revo running ubuntu is even faster & both have symbolic links to the thumbnails.

- tuckbodi - 2010-11-17

angrycamel Wrote:* MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

Try character Set: latin1 and Collation: latin1_general_ci