Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- myrison - 2011-01-14

zosky Wrote:i through about doing this too, but i'm worried about seek time & how it would impact the UI when scrolling through large lists (~1k movies)... thats why i've kept the cache local to each box & setup cron to rSync @hourly (per my last post).

when you get this working, would you please let me know if there's any merit to my concerns

cheers
~z

I've done this on several different (Win & Linux) machines that all connect back to a shared Thumbnail folder on a Windows server. There are no concerns with speed, particularly once you've converted everything to DDS images. Using DDS, I get instantaneous switching of fanart and thumbs on a Acer Revo 1600 (hardwired and using Gigabit ethernet). If you haven't read about DDS images yet, search for it on the forums. If you're using a modest CPU platform like the Revos, it makes a gigantic difference in fanart load times.

- myrison - 2011-01-14

ti_gusus Wrote:Anyone Huh?

Now my problem , Each time I need to reboot, the shortcut is not created. Have to "Mount -a" each time
What wrong ??
This is the last item on my list to get it work at 100%

Please help.
Thank

If you haven't read this guide already, check it out. I've followed this exactly several times and it always does the trick.

- colbert - 2011-01-14

Well, I have wiped the MySQL database and readded, followed this: http://lifehacker.com/5634515/how-to-synchronize-your-xbmc-media-center-across-every-room-in-the-house even and any time I create the database, user, get it going... I check the show databases and still missing all the tables. Huh

edit: I did post a separate thread as well if any log output is needed that could help, it's here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90233

- kri kri - 2011-01-14

^^^^^

Same thing is happening to me.

- lestat1977uk - 2011-01-14

Been using this method for awhile now and works brilliantly! One question thou, will MS SQL 2008 ever been supported?

- ti_gusus - 2011-01-15

myrison Wrote:If you haven't read this guide already, check it out. I've followed this exactly several times and it always does the trick.

Perfect... Not sure what was my problem but this guide help me to recreate my link and now the link is functionnal after every boot.
Thank...a+++

- myrison - 2011-01-17

Cool, glad it worked out. Smile

- colbert - 2011-01-24

Well, I finally got my issue resolved about the MySQL DB being incomplete, thanks to user guere in this post!! Big Grin

I then rsync'd over the Thumbnails folder to the laptop and everything looks right (I even marked unwatched an episode on the laptop and saw it reflected on the desktop, just to test.)

However, I then ran into the issue that no videos were actually playing from my laptop Rofl Of course, the issue was that my desktop-- where all files are and on which I play everything locally-- has video mounted to /media/stuff/video and so the path was the same on the laptop as now the database is shared.

I was already using autofs w/nfs4 just fine and made a symlink on my laptop to the autofs location, and now it works grrrreat! Any other users experiencing the MySQL issue I hope this helps Smile

- myrison - 2011-02-10

I'm fairly certain this is a long shot, but has anyone found a way to have Windows & Linux machines share the same library when NOT using smb? I can't think of any way to have the <drive letter:\folder> of Windows match up with the </mount> structure of Linux, but I'm hoping someone else might have an idea I didn't think of.

Right now I use SMB so that my mix of Windows/Linux machines can both use the same DB, but I really want to start using nfs mounts for improved performance and to get rid of an annoying samba timeout that causes XBMC to crash.

If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.

- boulala - 2011-02-15

Hy everyone

I'm sorry if i ask somthing that has already been asked but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
I finally set-up my xbmc media center (zbox hd-id34) yesterday and had everything configured in a breeze. Because i think of adding a second htpc in the bedroom i already configured the mysql db (synology nas) and connected the htpc to it. But when i use the mysql db, the whole xbmc ui is really slow and slugish (it even crashes sometimes). When i remove the advancedsettings.xml everything works just fine and xbmc runs smoothly.
Does someone else have this problem?

greetings

- myrison - 2011-02-15

If you have a large library, there are some suggestions in this thread for adding indexes to certain tables to speed up queries. Search the thread for indexes to give that a try.

With that said, if "everything" is slow when using the MySQL DB, you might have other problems, as the indexes were really only used to address very slow loading of your movie/music list in library mode.

If everything is slow, I'd look more to your network for troubleshooting... are you on wireless for example?

- tboooe - 2011-02-15

myrison Wrote:If you have a large library, there are some suggestions in this thread for adding indexes to certain tables to speed up queries. Search the thread for indexes to give that a try.

With that said, if "everything" is slow when using the MySQL DB, you might have other problems, as the indexes were really only used to address very slow loading of your movie/music list in library mode.

If everything is slow, I'd look more to your network for troubleshooting... are you on wireless for example?

Agreed, if browsing your library is slow add the indexes. If your entire UI is slow perhaps you can try adding the line 'skip-name-resolve' to your mysql ini file. I have read that this could help with slowness issues.

- boulala - 2011-02-16

Thanks for the inputs. I actually tested it without any files in the library. Just added the advancedsettings.xml and the startet xbmc and everything was very slow.
@myrison: I'm on a wired 1G network so there should be no problem.
@tboooe: gone try that tonight and let you know.

thanks for the help so far

Apple TV2 - p0504 - 2011-02-16

Guys,

great thread. Just one short question, does this also work with the newly XBMC version for Apple TV2?

Thanks and best

Peter

- crayonman - 2011-02-16

boulala Wrote:Thanks for the inputs. I actually tested it without any files in the library. Just added the advancedsettings.xml and the startet xbmc and everything was very slow.
@myrison: I'm on a wired 1G network so there should be no problem.
@tboooe: gone try that tonight and let you know.

thanks for the help so far
Make sure db settings are correct. I ran into this before, and XBMC is too busy re-trying db connection.