Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- tboooe - 2011-02-16

crayonman Wrote:Make sure db settings are correct. I ran into this before, and XBMC is too busy re-trying db connection.

Good point. Check your logs right after you start up XBMC. Right after the portion where the logs show the advancedsettings.xml file loading you will see if there are any issues connecting with mysql.

As an aside, I have no idea why XBMC gui completely slows down when it has issues connecting to remote shares, mysql, etc. It should have a configurable time out then pop up a message instead of grinding the gui down to a halt without any explanation.

- myrison - 2011-02-17

The skip-name-resolve suggestion above is a good one. I'd forgotten about that when I made my answer and that can speed things up a fair amount. It'll be interesting to hear if the two suggestions above help speed things up for you.

- boulala - 2011-02-17

simplest anwser is often the best one. gone try it tonight, it's very well possible that the problem lies there.
it didn't come to my mind because i thought i would get an error if it can't connect or it wouldn't even launch the profile but as everything seemed to work i didn't even check.

- castortray - 2011-02-18

I've got about 600 movies and when I go to Movies --> Actors it took around 13 minutes (4882 actors) Sad
Any chance to speed up ? Maybe I have something wrong in MySQL configuration. Huh
Everybody has the same issue ? What are your times ?

hopefully someone can help.

• Running Dharma rev.35744 on Windows 7 (ASRock ION 330HT)

Apple TV2 - p0504 - 2011-02-18

Hello,

I very much enjoyed reading this very interesting tread over the past three days and I would very much love to implement the solution @ home.

Currently, I have a nas, a zotac and a 2nd tv with allshare (samsung). I would very much love to introduce the Apple Tv2 in the bedroom for the 2nd TV. However, does anyone set up the descripted solutions with a Apple TV2? Or does any one know wether the advancedsettings.xml setup is possible with the apple tv?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks and regards
Peter

p0504 Wrote:Hello,

I very much enjoyed reading this very interesting tread over the past three days and I would very much love to implement the solution @ home.

Currently, I have a nas, a zotac and a 2nd tv with allshare (samsung). I would very much love to introduce the Apple Tv2 in the bedroom for the 2nd TV. However, does anyone set up the descripted solutions with a Apple TV2? Or does any one know wether the advancedsettings.xml setup is possible with the apple tv?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks and regards
Peter

answer in this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91485

- boulala - 2011-02-18

Quote:Good point. Check your logs right after you start up XBMC. Right after the portion where the logs show the advancedsettings.xml file loading you will see if there are any issues connecting with mysql.

As an aside, I have no idea why XBMC gui completely slows down when it has issues connecting to remote shares, mysql, etc. It should have a configurable time out then pop up a message instead of grinding the gui down to a halt without any explanation.

Sorry couldn't check it, because know my HDMI port seems to be broken and i can't get a image on the tv. had to search my parents basement for a dvi-vga cable so that i can connect it directly to my tv. gone try it this weekend and make some tests and post some logs if it still appears.

- milchkuh - 2011-02-18

indy5 Wrote:Could permissions cause only the tables to be created and not the views? This is what I am seeing now. I did scan the entire music source to the library, but no views are created. In confluence, if I try to switch from file to library mode, the radio button for library is greyed out.

Update:
To answer my own question, YES. I wiped out the sql databases and re-created them from XBMC. Since I run mysql on an unraid server, I had to reinstall that package and start from scratch. XBMC created all tables and views just fine for both video and music. Thanks for helping me find the right direction to go in.

I have the same problem. Video database is working fine but for music database xbmc creates data tables on my mysql server but i cannot switch to library mode. I did also erase the table but library mode on music is still greyed out. Is there any solution for this?

- p0504 - 2011-02-18

castortray Wrote:answer in this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91485

Perfekt Thank you!

Regards
Peter

- tboooe - 2011-02-18

castortray Wrote:I've got about 600 movies and when I go to Movies --> Actors it took around 13 minutes (4882 actors) Sad
Any chance to speed up ? Maybe I have something wrong in MySQL configuration. Huh
Everybody has the same issue ? What are your times ?

hopefully someone can help.

• Running Dharma rev.35744 on Windows 7 (ASRock ION 330HT)

Did you add the index to mysql?

tboooe Wrote:Did you add the index to mysql?

nope,
I'm not good in SQL,
I would be grateful If you helped me with the command

CREATE INDEX ... Huh

thx

- boulala - 2011-02-18

so well now i came around and could finally try some of the solutions you guy suggested.
the main problem with the slow interface was absolutly my fault, because the connection to the mysql couldn't be established. so thats fixed. know i have the thing that when i open the music or video library/folder it takes some time to load the library even if i don't have any movies or music files in the library. any suggestions on that one? guess the index thingy could solve that problem for the music library but how about the movie library?

PS: could try the resolve-name conf. because i couldn't finde out how to do it. gone ask my friend google and his brother bing if they can help me Big Grin

- tboooe - 2011-02-18

boulala Wrote:so well now i came around and could finally try some of the solutions you guy suggested.
the main problem with the slow interface was absolutly my fault, because the connection to the mysql couldn't be established. so thats fixed. know i have the thing that when i open the music or video library/folder it takes some time to load the library even if i don't have any movies or music files in the library. any suggestions on that one? guess the index thingy could solve that problem for the music library but how about the movie library?

PS: could try the resolve-name conf. because i couldn't finde out how to do it. gone ask my friend google and his brother bing if they can help me Big Grin

Just add "skip-name-resolve" in your mysql ini file in the mysqld section.

As for library slowness...try the indexes.

- avus m3 - 2011-02-19

Is anyone having issues creating movie sets once switched over to SQL? I created one set that was imported into the SQL DB a long time ago which works great. I have recently tried creating other sets (like all the Bond movies) and when the movies are added into the DB the set info is ignored?

- buges - 2011-02-19

@ avus m3 No problems here with movie sets added a few last night all working fine. Don't know if this helps you, but im running mysql v5,1,41 on ubuntu. It should'nt make any difference being linux or win, but you never know.
xbmc r35744