Kodi Community Forum
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS (/showthread.php?tid=70603)

- boulala - 2011-02-19

Quote:Just add "skip-name-resolve" in your mysql ini file in the mysqld section.
As for library slowness...try the indexes.

Sorry i still don't get it. have to browse the net a little bit. sure gone find some info on that one.
i already added the indexes. will see if it still runs smooth when i import some files.
thanks anyway for all the help

- darkscout - 2011-02-19

16000 actors.
Took 4 seconds.

- gundam83 - 2011-02-19

This may sound like a stupid question as I haven't fully tackled XBMC yet, but it'll be perfectly fine if I stored all my movies on a server, and have my htpc clients keep their own databases/thumbs/info/etc correct? All of this mySQL database stuff is making my head spin, plus I don't like the idea of slowing down library access. The only drawback is wasting a few extra seconds updating thumbs/info for each client right?

- tboooe - 2011-02-19

gundam83 Wrote:This may sound like a stupid question as I haven't fully tackled XBMC yet, but it'll be perfectly fine if I stored all my movies on a server, and have my htpc clients keep their own databases/thumbs/info/etc correct? All of this mySQL database stuff is making my head spin, plus I don't like the idea of slowing down library access. The only drawback is wasting a few extra seconds updating thumbs/info for each client right?

yup, this is the standard way and you will probably be pretty happy with this setup. For some, there is no slow down at all. For me, the benefits are worth it. Keeping playcount, play position, thumbs etc synced between multiple clients is very convenient. Try it out and see what you think.

- castortray - 2011-02-20

darkscout Wrote:16000 actors.
Took 4 seconds.

Shocked
how did you do that ? (just add skip-name-resolve to my.ini ? )
Are you use SSD ? Where you have MySQL installed ?

Mine is on Windows 7 (ASRock ION 330HT)

- blacklist - 2011-02-20

buges Wrote:@ avus m3 No problems here with movie sets added a few last night all working fine. Don't know if this helps you, but im running mysql v5,1,41 on ubuntu. It should'nt make any difference being linux or win, but you never know.
xbmc r35744

Do you guys have any tricks for easy creation of sets? I've been building mine in EMM but its always kind of a pain and slow to do, then removing all the movies and rescraping them.

Didn't know if someone maybe had a better technique.

- darkscout - 2011-02-20

castortray Wrote:Shocked
how did you do that ? (just add skip-name-resolve to my.ini ? )
Are you use SSD ? Where you have MySQL installed ?

Mine is on Windows 7 (ASRock ION 330HT)

Added skip-name-resolve.
It's SSD, but a very CRAPPY one (no faster than a good SATA drive).
Running on my HTPC from a barebones Ubuntu install.
Tested on both localhost and on my Macbook. (Over N wireless.)
Both are around 4-"one thousands" counts.

- tboooe - 2011-02-20

blacklist Wrote:Do you guys have any tricks for easy creation of sets? I've been building mine in EMM but its always kind of a pain and slow to do, then removing all the movies and rescraping them.

No tricks...here is my technique...let XBMC scrape, export library into individual files, modify the NFO to create sets. Not the best but I find XBMC's IMDB scraper to be very good, especially with trailers. I know that the other media organizer, Media Companion can create sets pretty easily.

- buges - 2011-02-20

Media Companion That's what i use for sets.

- PatK - 2011-02-20

blacklist Wrote:Do you guys have any tricks for easy creation of sets? I've been building mine in EMM but its always kind of a pain and slow to do, then removing all the movies and rescraping them.

Sets are easy with XWMM listing showing up in your browser (when XBMC is active) and a tool item for making sets. Bit clunky but it works.

- avus m3 - 2011-02-20

buges Wrote:@ avus m3 No problems here with movie sets added a few last night all working fine. Don't know if this helps you, but im running mysql v5,1,41 on ubuntu. It should'nt make any difference being linux or win, but you never know.
xbmc r35744

Interesting. I am still using the DB created from the Beta 2 setup a long time ago. Maybe I need to trash it and re-create it using the final stable build?

Mlink for linux - p0504 - 2011-02-20

charrua Wrote:You're very welcome.

Yes, mklink is a windows command.
If you want to use the same server for hosting the MySQL db and the shared cache folder, then you should share the folder thumbnails inside the userdata folder of XBMC on your Win7 server and then create the symbolic link to that folder from the Linux clients running this command from the linux shell from inside the userdata folder of XBMC
Code:
ln -s [i]shared_cache_folder[/i] thumbnails
where shared_cache_folder is the name of the network shared folder holding the image cache in Win7.

Hi Charrua,

I tried the linux command on my Apple TV. However unfortuently I am not abl to see any thumbs thereafter. I shared the tumbnail folder on my QNAP NAs with all rights available. Is it really sufficient to just state the shared name? I also tried to include the refernce to the NAS
Code:
ln -s [i]//NAS/Thumbnails[/i] thumbnails
however without any success. Do you you have any ideas?

Thanks and regards

Peter

- tboooe - 2011-02-20

p0504 Wrote:Hi Charrua,

I tried the linux command on my Apple TV. However unfortuently I am not abl to see any thumbs thereafter. I shared the tumbnail folder on my QNAP NAs with all rights available. Is it really sufficient to just state the shared name? I also tried to include the refernce to the NAS
Code:
ln -s [i]//NAS/Thumbnails[/i] thumbnails
however without any success. Do you you have any ideas?

Thanks and regards

Peter

Peter, I cant speak to your issues in linux but I tried doing a symbolic link to my Thecus NAS. I got it to work but was painfully slow. My Thecus N4100pro nas is not the fastest out there however. I then tried linking it to one of my HTPCs that has a SSD in it and everything was much faster. Clients that are wireless are still too slow for me though.

- castortray - 2011-02-20

darkscout Wrote:Added skip-name-resolve.
It's SSD, but a very CRAPPY one (no faster than a good SATA drive).
Running on my HTPC from a barebones Ubuntu install.
Tested on both localhost and on my Macbook. (Over N wireless.)
Both are around 4-"one thousands" counts.

after adding skip-name-resolve in my.ini

Code:
[mysqld]
skip-name-resolve

and the creation of the index:

Code:
mysql> ALTER TABLE movie ADD INDEX ix_idFile(idFile);
Query OK, 681 rows affected (1.01 sec)
Records: 681  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

my time change from 13 min to 6 min for 4899 actors, it's better but should be much faster I think Sad

- myrison - 2011-02-21

avus m3 Wrote:Is anyone having issues creating movie sets once switched over to SQL? I created one set that was imported into the SQL DB a long time ago which works great. I have recently tried creating other sets (like all the Bond movies) and when the movies are added into the DB the set info is ignored?

Works fine for me. I'd say double-check your syntax on the nfo files and also make sure that you completely remove the movie from your library and then rescrape. That's the only way XBMC will pick up the fact that you've added set info the the file.