Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO launch applications from XBMC Live (e.g. Firefox) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO launch applications from XBMC Live (e.g. Firefox) (/showthread.php?tid=71664)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

- shassino - 2010-06-23

I can confirm that it works well on svn 31329

With addon system u don't have anymore launchers.xml so i suggest u to use scripts like that otherwise u must delete and readd a launcher to edit args.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
fluxbox &
zsnes -m -s -v 22 -r 6 "$@"
killall -9 fluxbox

"$@" is needed because xbmc will pass rom name as args. To lauch a progs and not a rom isn't needed.

Ty for tips about fluxbox Smile

- manemies - 2010-06-29

Xenomes Wrote:For the font problem add
Code:
Monitor "Monitor0"
to the screen section under device.

Thanks for this excellent tip ! Now the font is big enough to read Nod

The only problem I have left is the size of the Firefox window. When it launches it doesn't fit the screen. I have to manually pull it downwards to be able to see the navigation toolbar.
Even if I press F11 (full screen), the window is too big for the screen.
Any ideas on what I could try to make the window a bit smaller by default ?

- vikjon0 - 2010-06-29

I dont know how to fix that. If you start fluxbox is the desktop bigger than the screen?

You could always try to use another windowmanager and see if it makes any difference, but I assume this can be configured in xorg and/or fluxbox config but I have never had to do it.

- htpc_ion - 2010-07-01

Thanks for the detailed steps. I now have firefox installed and working within my xbmc Live.

I was wondering if there is anyway to have apple.com/trailers work within this firefox?

- Csimbi - 2010-08-08

To get the correct vertical and horizontal DPI settings, follow this link:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Display_Size_and_DPI

Make sure bc is installed:
Code:
sudo apt-get install bc

Here's my calculation for my Philips 5520D10:
- 37" diagonal size
- panel resolution 1366 x 768

Code:
echo 'scale=5;sqrt(1366^2+768^2)' | bc
result = 1567.09284

So, the appropriate physical horizontal and vertical lengths:
Code:
echo 'scale=5;(37/1567.09284)*1366*25.4' | bc
result = 819.182
Code:
echo 'scale=5;(37/1567.09284)*768*25.4' | bc
result = 460.56499

Therefore:
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    DisplaySize 819 461    # In millimeters
EndSection

Ergo:
Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Driver  "nvidia"
        Option  "NoLogo"              "true"
        Option  "DynamicTwinView"     "false"
        Option  "NoFlip"              "false"
        Option  "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
        Option  "ModeValidation"      "NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes"
        Option  "UseDisplayDevice"    "DFP-1"
        Option  "ModeDebug"           "true"
        Option  "HWCursor"            "false"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "screen"
        Device          "nvidia"
        SubSection      "Display"
                Option         "DynamicTwinView" "false"
                Depth          24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite"           "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Monitor0"
        DisplaySize 819 461    # In millimeters
EndSection

But.
I could not find any way for fluxbox to apply pixel aspect ratio setting - therefore the aspect ratio is totally wrong. Pictures and text are too wide.

Note: manual measurement yielded almost identical results: 822 x 464

I found that XBMC stores your settings for each resolution:
Code:
more ~xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml |grep pixelratio
Mine is 1.415 after calibrating XBMC under the system settings.

So, there is a way to re-use the pixel aspect ratio settings from XBMC, the only question is: how?

- vikjon0 - 2010-08-08

Quote:I was wondering if there is anyway to have apple.com/trailers work within this firefox?

I guess so. You need to install whatever ff plug -in that is needed. I havent tried it. Google firefox ubuntu apple trailers plugin
and see what shows up

- DejaVu - 2010-09-09

I followed this thread to get FireFox working with Fluxbox and seems to run great.

Is there anyone that can help get Google Chrome doing the same thing?
Also, when the browser opens - the toolbar is off the screen (at the top).

It loads at position 0,0 and for some reason on my screen that's off. If it loaded at 48,147 it'd be perfect.

That said, the browser close icon is also too far over and not viewable unless I drag the window over.

Ideally, I would love a walkthru for a Google Chrome alternative that loads the browser in a Maximised state.

Anyone able to help?

- vikjon0 - 2010-09-09

Quote:Is there anyone that can help get Google Chrome doing the same thing?
Just install chrome and replace ff with crome in the script.

Quote:Also, when the browser opens - the toolbar is off the screen (at the top).
Would love to help you but I am very lucky with my TV, no issues at all with linux.
The problem is overscann and in xbmc it is easy to fix but outside I am not sure. google <overscan xorg> or <fluxboc overscan>

one thing...if you are using VGA, try hdmi and make sure the vga is not connected anywhere.

- DejaVu - 2010-09-09

I managed to install Google Chrome Stable with no real problems. I'm guessing I have to investigate the overscan switches. It turns out it is X that needs to be adjusted fluxbox wont do it.

If I change the settings will this not screw up XBMC as well though?

Is there perhaps a way to add an argument to the program in Executor to get it to display correctly?

Nevermind. I'm a muppet!
My Screen was on 'Subtitle Zoom' for some reason. That would explain a lot!
Put it too 'Widescreen' and all is well - apart from it's everso slightly off (the close button and 'File' has been cut off. But I'll try a tweak that at a later date. Smile

- mandrake - 2010-10-04

Hi

I just installed xbmc live on my Acer 1600 Revo this weekend. I have never used lixux, ubuntu, xbmc or anything before, so I am noob to say it at least. However, I'm pretty good with computers, so I hope to advance to a beginner user soon =)

I have at this point got my xbmc live(minimal ubuntu version) working. I have downloaded filezilla on another machine, aswell as putty. I set all the basic video and sound settings in my xbmc live. I set up the video library, set thumbs etc.

Thats all. Now I really want to move on to installing Firefox. Would anyone be superkind and compose a reply with all the info from the start to the end in how to get the firefox to work? I do now know how to write commands in the terminal, but I have yet to do anything with scripts.

Could anyone make the time to help me? I am noob, so please write in the simplest way possible. I am sure your reply would be a big hit with the beginners out there, like me.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Sincerely,
Mandrake

- SpitIV - 2010-10-04

Mandrake,

Try to follow the first post of this tread and ask a specific question when you get stuck. I'm sure people are willing to help you, like myself, but can't guess where you'll get hung up.

vikjon0 has listed the script content. nano is an editor you can use to create them. Open up a terminal and start typing.

- mandrake - 2010-10-05

Ok-i will try-but how do i install/use nano??

- Flomaster - 2010-10-05

mandrake Wrote:Ok-i will try-but how do i install/use nano??

nano comes with xbmc-live

to open and file you type

nano file.name.here

if it complains about permissions

sudo nano file.name.here

-=Jason=-

- Csimbi - 2010-10-05

mandrake Wrote:Ok-i will try-but how do i install/use nano??

It's a command-line text editor.

- mandrake - 2010-10-06

So, all the script commands etc is written in terminal? just with f.ex sudo nano first? So everything in this thread could be done by writing in the terminal?

Sincerely,
Mandrake