Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO launch applications from XBMC Live (e.g. Firefox) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO launch applications from XBMC Live (e.g. Firefox) (/showthread.php?tid=71664)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

- vikjon0 - 2010-10-06

Quote:So, all the script commands etc is written in terminal? just with f.ex sudo nano first? So everything in this thread could be done by writing in the terminal?

indeed. The commands should be entered in terminal, preferable over ssh terminal emulator e.g. putty.exe on windows.

The only thing not in the guide is how to exit nano.
Save
CTRL+o
Exit
CTRL+x

- linuxluemmel - 2010-10-06

If you are on windows connect with putty to your linux-box .....
For the connection you need username / password / ip

As son you are loged in ......

nano ff.sh

#!/bin/bash
firefox
exit

Press <Ctrl><X>

and type chmod +x ff.sh

this script can now be executed over the launcher ....

Almost there.... - tbeardenjr - 2010-10-09

I was able to follow the instructions all the way up to this point....

fbsetbg -b -solid black

When I run this, I get:

Error: Couldn't connect to XServer

AND, when I restart to go back into the GUI, Firefox will load, but I have two problems......

(1) I get a fbsebg background error
(2) There is no way to close the firefox window via an X at the top right hand of the window - basically no window wrapped around the Firefox instance and therefor no toolbar to close, maximize, minimize it.
(2b) Also, when I open Firefox Addons, there's no way to make that window go away either.

Any suggestions about setting the Fluxbox background or how to manage the Firefox instance? Thank you everyone for all your work thus far.

- vikjon0 - 2010-10-09

Quote:When I run this, I get:

Error: Couldn't connect to XServer
As the instruction indicate you need to run it in fluxbox.

Quote:(2) There is no way to close the firefox window via an X at the top right hand of the window - basically no window wrapped around the Firefox instance and therefor no toolbar to close, maximize, minimize it.
Strange. If I follow the these instructions it works fine.

I'm in worse shape now... - tbeardenjr - 2010-10-10

Ok, so I need to run this command inside of Fluxbox right?

fbsetbg -b -solid black

The problem is, there is no mention of how to even run fluxbox... I'm a newb, so this step isn't so obvious to me. Anyhow, I googled it like any troubleshooter would and I found this link here.

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title=Start_fluxbox_from_the_command_line

After following those instructions and restarting, I discovered that makes (what I believe to be) Fluxbox start when the system starts. So now the XBMC GUI is no where to be seen, but after some looking around in Fluxbox, I finally found the commandline and commented out this line that the previous link told me to use.

exec `which startfluxbox`

Now that line of code looks like this.

#exec `which startfluxbox`

Now when I restart the system, i get nothing... No splash screen, no fluxbox GUI, and no XBMC GUI. I even started the system up in recovery mode. Still, I get nothing... Just a black screen that occasionally flickers.

As long as XBMC has been around, it seems like a web browser should come standard by now, and WiFi too! I wish I weren't such a newb, but if someone can help me get my system back that would be really great.

- vikjon0 - 2010-10-10

Quote: I discovered that makes (what I believe to be) Fluxbox start when the system starts
Okej...so why did you do it? You dont want that, you want to keep xbmc.
You can start fluxbox by typing "startx" (without "").

Or as stated
Quote:a) Get ride of fluxbox error message
Start fluxbox by running the launcher (or from the console)
If needed, minimize firefox and start a terminal by right-clicking on the desktop.
Enter

- Numus - 2010-10-11

Am i the only one having a problem find and using launcher on dharma?

- vikjon0 - 2010-10-11

Quote:Am i the only one having a problem find and using launcher on dharma?
Use the program executer instead. Works with this instruction.

- Numus - 2010-10-12

Not getting any audio in flash and flash is stuttering a lot (trying to run espn3.com) any ideas?
Also the resolution is off (the screen fill is larger then my screen so i loose the top bottom and sides)

- vikjon0 - 2010-10-12

Quote:Not getting any audio in flash
To get hdmi audio you have to create an asoundrc as per the instruction. If it does not work for you I have no clue.
Quote:flash is stuttering
There is no hw acceleration in flash linux I think. Could be that or could be the network speed or the service it self. Nothing to do but lower the res.

- Numus - 2010-10-12

vikjon0 Wrote:To get hdmi audio you have to create an asoundrc as per the instruction. If it does not work for you I have no clue.

There is no hw acceleration in flash linux I think. Could be that or could be the network speed or the service it self. Nothing to do but lower the res.

I have had asoundrc since the beginning (HDMI audio works fine in XBMC)...

- vikjon0 - 2010-10-12

Quote:I have had asoundrc since the beginning (HDMI audio works fine in XBMC)...
Ok, since it does not work in ff I suppose the solution is to edit that file so that is also work in ff.

- Numus - 2010-10-12

vikjon0 Wrote:Ok, since it does not work in ff I suppose the solution is to edit that file so that is also work in ff.

What about the size/resolution issue?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7636490&postcount=5
I never did your "or perhaps".. it appears that is necessary for flash... will try this when i get home from work

- vikjon0 - 2010-10-12

The first asoundrc works fine at least on asrock ion 330.
What is important is to set it to default.

Quote:What about the size/resolution issue?
It can be fixed in xorg but I never had that problem. The last person asking that had the TV on zoom....

- kLAcK - 2010-11-01

Got my install working starting over fresh from this guide. DELL XPS 410 motherboard. Works great through SPDIF, no asound settings needed.