Kodi Community Forum
Zbox hd-id11 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Zbox hd-id11 (/showthread.php?tid=73052)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- BoxFreak - 2010-10-07

Tuning continues...

I got this HP Mediacenter ir-receiver from ebay and now Zbox can be controlled with Harmony One. Most of functions work ok, even shutdown to S3, but power on doesn´t. Whenever I shut down my machine to suspend it won´t wake up with my remote. If I turn on the machine with the power button, the remote doesn´t work (indicator flashes ok, but xbmc doesn´t react). Restarting removes this problem.

I´ve enabled usb-wake-up in bios and the receiver isn´t connected to usb-slots next to esata. Is it normal that the red indicator in that ir-receiver stays on when machine is put to S3? Normally it just blinks whenever I send an ir-command with my remote.

- BoxFreak - 2010-10-08

OK, with this http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Enable_Wake-On-Device I got it to wake up from S3. Now only problem is that remote doesn´t work after waking up from S3. Laugh After restarting PC it works fine.

Maybe it´s time to get to know XBMC´s error logs...

I´ve just updated Live, I guess... Now there´s no audio. I cannot select these anymore:

audio output device: hda nvidia hdmi
passthrough: hda nvidia hdmi

Some settings that I select give "Failed to initialize audio..." and some don´t give error, but there´s no sound. Strange :S

- Gnaddel - 2010-10-11

Hi there,

I just received my box and I can't seem to get the ubuntu (9.10) installer to boot from usb. I can select the startup device but it just stops at the syslinux copyright screen. I've tried to create the stick on osx, windows with the universal usb creator and the utility provided on the ubuntu .iso itself. All to no avail. I have also tried using a different image (xbmc freak), same result.

Could this be caused by some bios setting or does anyone have an idea what could cause this?

ps.
I am able to boot to freedos using the universal usb tool, no idea what is different with that though...

edit:

Solved -> Works with sticks created using UNetbootin Smile

Bluecop Video Plugins (Daily Show, etc.) not working on Zotac? - derekvan - 2010-10-14

Hi everyone,

I had been testing XBMC on my Macbook for a while, and loved it. Just bought a HD-ID11 and have successfully gotten XBMCfreak up and running from a USB drive (and flashed the BIOS).

However, I haven't been able to stream Hulu, The Daily Show, or The Colbert Report using Bluecop's Video Add-On. I can browse these shows using the addon, but the video won't play when an episode is selected. Is this impossible with the Atom and XBMC? Will I need to install Win7 and Flash to make this work? Or is there a setting I'm ignoring?

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind. Everything seems to work now. Maybe the network was done when I was testing.

Green/Red Blinking Light on S3 - derekvan - 2010-10-15

Hi All,

Has anyone worked to edit the lights on the power button? It seems kind of annoying to have it constantly blinking red and green when the unit is in standby.

Derek

- BoxFreak - 2010-10-17

derekvan Wrote:Hi All,

Has anyone worked to edit the lights on the power button? It seems kind of annoying to have it constantly blinking red and green when the unit is in standby.

Derek

There´s some options in bios, but I´m not sure if they help...

Live-users asound.conf etc.? - BoxFreak - 2010-10-17

Could you live- version users with hdmi-output in use show what kind of asound.conf and sound settings you have. I still have this problem that I don´t have any sound if sample rate is under 44100 and I wonder if there´s something that could be done.

Using Dharma beta 2.

Networking Issues - angrycamel - 2010-10-17

I have been having a horrible time getting this box setup. I'm really hoping someone can help me out. I've tried a couple setups but both have networking issues.

My Setup
Wirelss connection to the Verizon FiOS router/modem using WPA2
Signal strength is usually 40-50%
I have tried both xbmcfreak on a USB stick (which is running XBMC good minus these networking issues) as well as installing windows 7 64 bit onto an internal HDD like someone here did
Unfortunately they are both having trouble with the network connection

With the xbmcfreak ubuntu install, wicd-curses says that I am connected, and XBMC says that I am connected, however whenever I try to browse to anything on the network (SMB) I get a message saying it is not connected. (even though I have an IP). I get the same message when trying to view the addons. It repeats the word "Program" or something in the error dialog in XBMC.

With the windows 7 setup, I haven't even made it to doing an XBMC install yet. Just a base install of the OS so far and the internet connection is unusably slow (1KBps). I installed the latest Atheros Wifi drivers for 64 bit windows 7 but that didn't make a difference at all.

Is this thing just no good with Wifi? Should I have only attempted to set this box up as a living room media center if I had a wired connection there?

I have spent a few weekends on this now and I'm getting pretty frustrated. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I really hope someone can point me in the right direction.

- wiz561 - 2010-10-17

BoxFreak Wrote:Could you live- version users with hdmi-output in use show what kind of asound.conf and sound settings you have. I still have this problem that I don´t have any sound if sample rate is under 44100 and I wonder if there´s something that could be done.

Using Dharma beta 2.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what's going on with your sampling rate issue. I'd suggest maybe posting it in the Linux General Support here on the forum. It sounds like it may not be a machine problem but maybe an OS/programming issue.

I can tell you that I've been able to play everything that I threw at it so far. This includes avi's, mkv's, m4vs, mp3's, and hulu content.

Oh! If you're handy with the command line, you might want to try 'aplay <filename>' when you're not in xbmc. This will play an audio file through alsa without xbmc running. I haven't tried it on the zbox, but I'm assuming that it would work over hdmi. I'm just trying to exclude XBMC to see if it's XBMC or the box.

I'm really not sure what's going on with yours...it's really odd. Like you mentioned earlier, check out ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log. Just 'tail -f' it and see if anything pops up.

- wiz561 - 2010-10-17

angrycamel Wrote:I have been having a horrible time getting this box setup. I'm really hoping someone can help me out. I've tried a couple setups but both have networking issues.

My Setup
Wirelss connection to the Verizon FiOS router/modem using WPA2
Signal strength is usually 40-50%
I have tried both xbmcfreak on a USB stick (which is running XBMC good minus these networking issues) as well as installing windows 7 64 bit onto an internal HDD like someone here did
Unfortunately they are both having trouble with the network connection

With the xbmcfreak ubuntu install, wicd-curses says that I am connected, and XBMC says that I am connected, however whenever I try to browse to anything on the network (SMB) I get a message saying it is not connected. (even though I have an IP). I get the same message when trying to view the addons. It repeats the word "Program" or something in the error dialog in XBMC.

With the windows 7 setup, I haven't even made it to doing an XBMC install yet. Just a base install of the OS so far and the internet connection is unusably slow (1KBps). I installed the latest Atheros Wifi drivers for 64 bit windows 7 but that didn't make a difference at all.

Is this thing just no good with Wifi? Should I have only attempted to set this box up as a living room media center if I had a wired connection there?

I have spent a few weekends on this now and I'm getting pretty frustrated. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I really hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I'd recommend not using wifi. It sounds to me as if your wifi connection is weak at the zbox. To verify this, is it possible to temporarily relocate the zbox close to the AP and see what happens?

I don't have a lot of faith in wifi and video. Yeah, it might work, but your mileage may vary.

If you absolutely must do wifi, try to relocate it as a test and see if it's better. If it is, you might want to look at getting a better usb wireless dongle. I remember reading someplace that the wireless in the box sucks, and you may have better luck with an external/usb card.

- BoxFreak - 2010-10-17

wiz561 Wrote:I'm sorry, but I have no idea what's going on with your sampling rate issue. I'd suggest maybe posting it in the Linux General Support here on the forum. It sounds like it may not be a machine problem but maybe an OS/programming issue.

I can tell you that I've been able to play everything that I threw at it so far. This includes avi's, mkv's, m4vs, mp3's, and hulu content.

Oh! If you're handy with the command line, you might want to try 'aplay <filename>' when you're not in xbmc. This will play an audio file through alsa without xbmc running. I haven't tried it on the zbox, but I'm assuming that it would work over hdmi. I'm just trying to exclude XBMC to see if it's XBMC or the box.

I'm really not sure what's going on with yours...it's really odd. Like you mentioned earlier, check out ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log. Just 'tail -f' it and see if anything pops up.

I forgot to mention that I have run into this problem only with video-content, mainly youtube, but also one item in my library which works fine with Windows, or PS3. I guess it´s not possible to test video´s with aplay?

It seems that there´s not many music sources that have that lower sample rate. I just browsed through some web-radio´s, but everything seems to work there.

- angrycamel - 2010-10-17

wiz561 Wrote:I'd recommend not using wifi. It sounds to me as if your wifi connection is weak at the zbox. To verify this, is it possible to temporarily relocate the zbox close to the AP and see what happens?

I don't have a lot of faith in wifi and video. Yeah, it might work, but your mileage may vary.

If you absolutely must do wifi, try to relocate it as a test and see if it's better. If it is, you might want to look at getting a better usb wireless dongle. I remember reading someplace that the wireless in the box sucks, and you may have better luck with an external/usb card.

Thanks wiz, but in my living room I do not have a wired connection unfortunately, so I need a good wireless connection. I guess I didn't do my homework well enough with this thing, especially since I needed wifi to work.

After reading this thread, I am really disappointed in this purchase. I am considering returning it to newegg for a refund and get something else instead.

Can anyone recommend a similarly performing device that has a better wifi chipset?

- wiz561 - 2010-10-18

angrycamel Wrote:Thanks wiz, but in my living room I do not have a wired connection unfortunately, so I need a good wireless connection. I guess I didn't do my homework well enough with this thing, especially since I needed wifi to work.

After reading this thread, I am really disappointed in this purchase. I am considering returning it to newegg for a refund and get something else instead.

Can anyone recommend a similarly performing device that has a better wifi chipset?

Can't argue with that there. Smile Sorry to hear that the wireless sucks on it.

As far as something else, I don't know. I was between Shuttle's XS35 and this one. I picked this one because it was cheaper and didn't include a Windows license.

A lot of others have chosen Acer's or Lenovo's. Just a thought to check those out as well.

good luck!

- wiz561 - 2010-10-18

BoxFreak Wrote:I forgot to mention that I have run into this problem only with video-content, mainly youtube, but also one item in my library which works fine with Windows, or PS3. I guess it´s not possible to test video´s with aplay?

It seems that there´s not many music sources that have that lower sample rate. I just browsed through some web-radio´s, but everything seems to work there.

You're right, you can't test video with aplay. And you are right, I mostly play videos with my box from files, and not streaming. I wonder if it's a plugin problem more than a hardware issue. Sorry, but I don't know much experience with the youtube content.

- angrycamel - 2010-10-18

wiz561 Wrote:Can't argue with that there. Smile Sorry to hear that the wireless sucks on it.

As far as something else, I don't know. I was between Shuttle's XS35 and this one. I picked this one because it was cheaper and didn't include a Windows license.

A lot of others have chosen Acer's or Lenovo's. Just a thought to check those out as well.

good luck!

Good news! I was able to install a wireless USB dongle (TEW-424UB) I recently purchased using NDISWrapper and then used wicd to get it connected. The light on the usb wifi dongle is green and it picked up a different IP address as I would expect. XBMC shows that it is connected and wicd-curses shows the signal strength has gone from 35-40% with the built in wifi hardware all the way to 85-90% and I am on the 3rd floor of the house while the router is on the first!

So now for the bad news... I still get an error when trying to connect to SMB shares and the addons repo in XBMC. I turned on debugging hoping to get a log of whats going on so someone willing may be able to help me out, but I am not able to SSH into the box remotely. SSH to local host from the console works, and I even restarted SSH to be sure, but I get "Network error: Connection timed out" from Putty.

Anyone have any ideas?