Kodi Community Forum
Zbox hd-id11 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Zbox hd-id11 (/showthread.php?tid=73052)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- matchsmalone - 2010-08-22

StoneT Wrote:Hi guys,

Your feedback is much appreciated - I have now ordered a Zbox and am on my way to become the latest XBMC user Big Grin

If anyone has any hot tips on any pitfalls getting this to work (I will be using Windows 7 as the OS and an Emprex 3009 RF remote) I would be grateful to know Wink

CheerZ,
StoneT

Is there a reason you've chosen not to use Live? I've never tied xbmc on win7 personally, but it seems to me that people have more issues getting things to work on Windows.

With live, you can get the best of both worlds. You can have the fully functioning Windows OS, and run xbmc from a flash drive when you need it.

Perhaps you have other considerations but this is just my two cents.

- StoneT - 2010-08-23

matchsmalone Wrote:Is there a reason you've chosen not to use Live? I've never tied xbmc on win7 personally, but it seems to me that people have more issues getting things to work on Windows.

With live, you can get the best of both worlds. You can have the fully functioning Windows OS, and run xbmc from a flash drive when you need it.

Perhaps you have other considerations but this is just my two cents.

Well - it is basically because I know nothing about Linux/Unix/whatever-flavour but do know my Windows .....
One of the reasons for getting out of the "NMT business" is to have no more headaches over an OS/filesystem I am not familiar with ....

Also - as far as I could gather reading through a LOT of posts - is that you can easily get everything to work with Win7 whereas Linux causes you to have to fiddle around a LOT more .....
But I may be wrong - and I am ready to try it out .... what is the best and easiest way to get this to run (NOTE that I will have an internal disk and will NOT run anything from an USB stick) ?

Thanks,
StoneT

- tcghost - 2010-08-24

StoneT Wrote:Well - it is basically because I know nothing about Linux/Unix/whatever-flavour but do know my Windows .....
One of the reasons for getting out of the "NMT business" is to have no more headaches over an OS/filesystem I am not familiar with ....

Also - as far as I could gather reading through a LOT of posts - is that you can easily get everything to work with Win7 whereas Linux causes you to have to fiddle around a LOT more .....
But I may be wrong - and I am ready to try it out .... what is the best and easiest way to get this to run (NOTE that I will have an internal disk and will NOT run anything from an USB stick) ?

Thanks,
StoneT

I would say that your assumptions are right and it would be easier to setup and maintain XBMC under Windows from my experience. You'll have to configure/install/troubleshoot something sooner or later, like HDMI audio, sound not working in a certain video, etc, and if you're not comfortable doing that on Linux and not willing to learn you should probably stick with Windows. However, XBMC Live under Linux is very easy to try and play around with to see if you like it.

Personally I use XBMC under Linux in a minimal installation environment to eliminate any extra resource overheads and minimize boot time (since it's a computer dedicated for XBMC). On Windows it's usually not as easy to remove all the unneeded services and customization options are not as broad.

- OJey - 2010-08-24

isn't there stil the problem that gpu decoding (VDPAU) isn't supported under windows? if it is than you have to use xbmc live or you mighty ion2 gpu is doing nothing while watching 720p+ content ... believe me i'm a total linux noob, but have no problems getting xbmc live to run. it's fairly easy !

- Hannes The Hun - 2010-08-24

OJey Wrote:isn't there stil the problem that gpu decoding (VDPAU) isn't supported under windows?

the xbmc nightly builds for windows (dsplayer) fully support DXVA since some time now

- ampersand - 2010-08-28

I just got one of these. Updated bios fan silent from across the room.

Put xbmclive stable on a usb stick. Could not get the tv to stay at 1080p24hz.

Also playing a 720 mkv i was getting frame drops.

Put xbmcfreaks most recent build, updated to newest nvidia drivers....same 2 problems. I'm tearing my hair out.

- ampersand - 2010-08-29

UPDATE: Anyone who reads this and has the eyes to see incorrect framerates:

After 12 hours of working...the easiest fix is to run the script in this thread, also make sure your tv does not over scan:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068

Drops some frames in first 5 seconds...but none after that. Loving this box.

UPDATE: Still Frame Drops, returned the box.

- StoneT - 2010-08-29

Guys,

Thanks for your feedback and thus help - am now have [almost] successfully implemented my HD-ID11/Win7/Dharma media center Cool

It runs using Eventghost (for the remote) and that's about it ...

I am looking into an issue where XBMC seems to loose the network share set up when my NAS is spinning down and/or sleeping the HTPC .... I've done some changes and need to see how it pans out.

The only BIG issue I have is that I use HDMI for my TV and optical out for music - I have to change the output device every time I use one or the other but I am looking into this ....

All in all - I am TOTALLY happy with the ZBOX HD-ID11 (AFTER the latest BIOS to alleviate the extreme fan noise !!) and the quality of the video's is just so much better that the NMT I had before Nod

Just my 2 cents and thanks for the replies Wink

Cheers,
StoneT

- dirtylion - 2010-08-31

someone got wake up from MCE remote working ?

i enable S3 in bios.

/proc/acpi/wakeup
USB0 S3 enabled pci:0000:00:1d.0

but i can't start the box Sad

- matchsmalone - 2010-08-31

dirtylion Wrote:someone got wake up from MCE remote working ?

i enable S3 in bios.

/proc/acpi/wakeup
USB0 S3 enabled pci:0000:00:1d.0

but i can't start the box Sad

I had issues with this at first as well, so I asked for help from Zotac customer support. See my discussion here.

Hopefully this helps.

- therock - 2010-08-31

so any of you guys got the HDMI audio to work with the new Dharma Beta1 ?

i cant seem to get any audio out of my zbox hd-id11

- calibos - 2010-09-07

Apologies in advance for being a moron but I need help!! I've tried reading all HD-11 related threads and whether its the device for me or whether I will run into problems with my setup being that I am a linux virgin but its just information overload for me.

I've got all my content on a pair of DNS323 Nas boxes. I don't need to store any content on the XBMC machines at all.

At the moment I need two XBMC machines both connected to 720p Panasonic Plasmas via HDMI. Atm I need these XBMC machines to output 2 channel audio to the plasmas via HDMI because the only av cable I have ducted behind the walls to the TV locations is a single HDMI cable. In the future however I will have 5.1 speaker systems and Old 5.1 AV receivers in these rooms and will want to output 5.1 to these via Spdif. I have no interest now or in the future to output HD audio formats via HDMI nor Spdif. I'll want to control the boxes with IR dongle and MCE remotes.

Is the ZD11 capable of all that right now with the latest Dharma beta with little or no messing about with linux code/scripts to get everything to work?

If I were to order a pair of ZD11 right now what do I need to order with them. 2x 2gb sodimm ram? 2x ?gb usb sticks? 2x USB IR dongles and MCE remotes? Should I get the smallest cheapest 5200rpm HDD seeing as all my content is on a nas or a 7200rpm or do I need an SSD for a smooth UI experience even if I enable the dds images and am booting of a Live USB stick? Actually, do I even need a HDD of any kind if all my content is on a Nas and I boot off Live on a USB stick?

- calibos - 2010-09-09

bump

- jvdb - 2010-09-09

calibos Wrote:Apologies in advance for being a moron but I need help!! I've tried reading all HD-11 related threads and whether its the device for me or whether I will run into problems with my setup being that I am a linux virgin but its just information overload for me.

I've got all my content on a pair of DNS323 Nas boxes. I don't need to store any content on the XBMC machines at all.

At the moment I need two XBMC machines both connected to 720p Panasonic Plasmas via HDMI. Atm I need these XBMC machines to output 2 channel audio to the plasmas via HDMI because the only av cable I have ducted behind the walls to the TV locations is a single HDMI cable. In the future however I will have 5.1 speaker systems and Old 5.1 AV receivers in these rooms and will want to output 5.1 to these via Spdif. I have no interest now or in the future to output HD audio formats via HDMI nor Spdif. I'll want to control the boxes with IR dongle and MCE remotes.

Is the ZD11 capable of all that right now with the latest Dharma beta with little or no messing about with linux code/scripts to get everything to work?

If I were to order a pair of ZD11 right now what do I need to order with them. 2x 2gb sodimm ram? 2x ?gb usb sticks? 2x USB IR dongles and MCE remotes? Should I get the smallest cheapest 5200rpm HDD seeing as all my content is on a nas or a 7200rpm or do I need an SSD for a smooth UI experience even if I enable the dds images and am booting of a Live USB stick? Actually, do I even need a HDD of any kind if all my content is on a Nas and I boot off Live on a USB stick?

I am doing almost exactly the same thing. Just a few comments:

I am running the 9.11 live image (installed on a fast 4gb flash drive using unetbootin). I have tried several of the xbmc freak svn live images, and the beta 1, but they seem really slow (menu is choppy) compared to 9.11. for me toslink sound worked out of the box (stereo and surround), but hdmi audio has not worked in any of the default live images I have tried.

I have used those D-link NAS boxed before and they are really slow. I don't know if they're too slow to stream HD. You'll have to test that yourself. I have a FreeNAS box with cheap intel D510MO board and it has no problems streaming blu ray ISO's over gigabit ethernet.

The HD-ID11 only has 1 sodimm slot, so don't order 2x kit.

The MCE USB IR receiver and remote I have work perfectly out of the box except for powering on. I have not tried to fix that.

- ToBe - 2010-09-10

@calibos
Sorry if I sound rude, but if you would have bothered to read the whole thread you'd know that the HD-ID11 is capable of all that.
Besides to complement what jvdb just said, it is also possible to get sound via HDMI. At least 2.0 sound works well, there were some issues with 5.1 when I tried. Sound via toslink/optical is no problem at all and should, as jvbd just pointed out, work right out of the box.