Kodi Community Forum
DTS/DD 3-2 not working on optical out - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: DTS/DD 3-2 not working on optical out (/showthread.php?tid=73522)

Pages: 1 2

DTS/DD 3-2 not working on optical out - eelco69 - 2010-05-09

Hi,

I have appletv with dvi to tv, and separate cable optical to receiver. Receiver is fully capable of DTS/DD, i have a bluray connected to it as well, and have had other devices DTS/DD capable (DVD etc) connected to it.

When I set XBMC to analog output, all is well. On tv, sound, on receiver, sound, so far so good.

When I set XBMC to digital output, on TV, helicopter sound, on receiver: NO SOUND. The receiver does recognise the audio stream, the display states the correct audio input (DTS3/2 or Dolby Digital 5.1, etc) when movie starts. But there isno sound, and the HDMIconnection to TV will produce hissing sound. In analog, all is ok, though it is a bit 'low, bassy, sound'

The weird thing is: when the ATV starts up, the opening animation does not get any sound either. i think this is not XBMC specific, but what do Ineed to check to fix it?

This only happens on DVD images, not on mkv files or music.

I have this problem with the 9.11 and the svn28256 version. I have a crystalHD card installed, driver works, I am getting 23fps on 1080p video...

And a side question: how do you play bluray ISO files? Is it possible?

More details on situation - eelco69 - 2010-05-09

Crystal driver r26
Launcher 3.2.4
XBMC 28256
Videorender:crystal broadcom hd
Audio outputsetto digital

Where can I find the audiocodec and container?

Any news or ideas on this?? - eelco69 - 2010-05-13

.... Not a single reply. If I need to know the magic word, or am forgetting something, or proving to be a dumb guy, please let me know, so i can improve..

- davilla - 2010-05-13

"opening animation does not get any sound either", reinstall NitoTV. know bug with it and might also be causing your other problem.

"can I find the audiocodec and container", I have no clue what you are asking.

"how do you play bluray ISO files", if decrypted, select it and play.

Thanx - eelco69 - 2010-05-14

Will try if reinstall nitotv helps. Install take 2, right? My appletv is on 2.3, should I downgrade it to 2.1?

On the question you have no clue about, never mind. In the stick note it says you should provide audio codecs and container (i am assuming mkv or isoHuh) and I did not know where to find the audio codec installed in XBMC or Perian.

On the bluray ISO, that does not work somehow. I will log it and post a separate thread.

Thanx for reply, now I have something to try!

BTW my compliments to your work, it is really impressive how well this all works! You are doing some tough job! I regret my 'native' language is java, cannot contribute to this project (out of my league I guess, haha, real programmers do c/c++)

- davilla - 2010-05-14

eelco69 Wrote:Will try if reinstall nitotv helps. Install take 2, right? My appletv is on 2.3, should I downgrade it to 2.1?

On the question you have no clue about, never mind. In the stick note it says you should provide audio codecs and container (i am assuming mkv or isoHuh) and I did not know where to find the audio codec installed in XBMC or Perian.

That's not asking which codec are installed, it's asking which codecs the video file uses and you can find that out using an application called MediaInfo.

Oops - eelco69 - 2010-05-14

My mistake, kind a dumb.. However, i am using iso files with a 100% decrypted copy of dvd/bluray.. MediaInfo only supports vob for that matter. It is either AC3 or DTS, disks I play are mostly AC3 with 5 channels.

cheers!

darn... not working - eelco69 - 2010-05-14

Reinstalling NitoTV does not help. All DVD movies & Opening movie of AppleTV itself is still without sound when digital output is turned on. I have version 3.0.2. of AppleTV system installed, dutch version, nito tt 0.9.0, xbmc 28256, crystalhd r26.

dolby digital not functioning - eelco69 - 2010-05-15

Some more tries.. when movie is in DTS, it works with digital output. TV gives helicopter noise, but receiver works fine. When a movie is in dolby digital, sound on receiver is gone, and TV still hissing in digital output mode. Analog, no problem, only missing the multichannel digital surround sound...

It is specifically dolby digital related. Any ideas on this?

- Tobermory - 2010-05-15

eelco69 Wrote:Reinstalling NitoTV does not help. All DVD movies & Opening movie of AppleTV itself is still without sound when digital output is turned on. I have version 3.0.2. of AppleTV system installed, dutch version, nito tt 0.9.0, xbmc 28256, crystalhd r26.

I have recently bought an Apple TV and installed XBMC. I noticed that if you turn Dolby Digital Out from On to OFF in the Apple TV settings ---> Audio/Video menu then you get sound during the Apple TV startup sequence.

Is there anyway to get rid of the helicopter sound and stop sond being sent over HDMI?

- davilla - 2010-05-15

Tobermory Wrote:I have recently bought an Apple TV and installed XBMC. I noticed that if you turn Dolby Digital Out from On to OFF in the Apple TV settings ---> Audio/Video menu then you get sound during the Apple TV startup sequence.

Is there anyway to get rid of the helicopter sound and stop sond being sent over HDMI?

Yes, simple, stop sending ac3/dts digital audio to devices that can't decode it. So turn off those settings and enable downmix.

expected behavior.. - eelco69 - 2010-05-15

Davilla,

I agree with you that a solution for the hiss sound would be to stop sending audio to devices that cannot decode it. However, in a pretty standard setup one will have a digital out connected to a digital receiver capable of dts and ac3, and have his flatscreen HD tv connected via HDMI. Expected behavior in this specific setup when turning on digital audio would be to have digital audio on the digital optical out, and have hdmi produce downmixed signal. This is what happens with a lot of dvd players as well.

I can understand that this might be hard to implement as i can see setups where hdmi device IS capable of doing digital audio as well, so how to make the difference.. Maybe it is an idea to add the digital/analog switch to the menu that you can popup during movie when holding play. hat makes fast switching possible, easing the problem somewhat.

Furthermore, my problem is a little more obscure, producing no sound with ONLY dolby digital signal on the digital optical out when set to digital audio. I have the hiss on hdmi, but that is the least of my worries... I have a sony av receiver capable of AAC, AC3, DTS and dolby prologic I & II.

Thanx for your patience, hard work and devotion!

- davilla - 2010-05-15

switch to atv(linux), atv(osx) has no ability to send different audio to hdmi vs spdif devices.

- eelco69 - 2010-05-15

eelco69 Wrote:Davilla,
Furthermore, my problem is a little more obscure, producing no sound with ONLY dolby digital signal on the digital optical out when set to digital audio. I have the hiss on hdmi, but that is the least of my worries... I have a sony av receiver capable of AAC, AC3, DTS and dolby prologic I & II.
And this part? That is what this thread is about...

- Tobermory - 2010-05-15

eelco69 Wrote:Davilla,

I agree with you that a solution for the hiss sound would be to stop sending audio to devices that cannot decode it. However, in a pretty standard setup one will have a digital out connected to a digital receiver capable of dts and ac3, and have his flatscreen HD tv connected via HDMI. Expected behavior in this specific setup when turning on digital audio would be to have digital audio on the digital optical out, and have hdmi produce downmixed signal. This is what happens with a lot of dvd players as well.

I can understand that this might be hard to implement as i can see setups where hdmi device IS capable of doing digital audio as well, so how to make the difference.. Maybe it is an idea to add the digital/analog switch to the menu that you can popup during movie when holding play. hat makes fast switching possible, easing the problem somewhat.

Thanx for your patience, hard work and devotion!

That's exactly my scenario. Looks like I will just turn the volume down on the TV Eek