Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.25 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.25 (/showthread.php?tid=74778)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

- Tyler Durden - 2010-07-15

My XBMC machine is an Acer Revo 3600, and the files are held on a wired network PC, and accessed via SMB.

Before I did this install playback was virtually instant.

- harryzimm - 2010-07-15

Thats pretty weird. What i would do is copy a movie to your 300gb partition and play the movie. If it plays instantly then its an issue with your network pc. Is it running windows 7 by any chance?

cheers

It is running 7, but as I say there was no problem before.

I'll try a local film and see how that goes.

FYI, SD films are quicker to start than HD, and music files play almost instantly.

Transfer speed when moving a file from my PC to the XBMC is 10.8 MB/Sec

- harryzimm - 2010-07-15

After a quick google search it appears ubuntu lucid has a known problem accessing windows 7 shares with certain nics. Solution? A complete reinstall using ubuntu karmic mini instead of lucid. Shouldn't take you that long now you know the basics. Smile

cheers

I think I'm going to cry.

Should I decide to go down the re-re-reinstall route, is the guide on page one adaptable to install Karmic instead?

- harryzimm - 2010-07-15

yes, the only change is remove udisks and upower from the command.

cheers

- Flomaster - 2010-07-15

Tyler Durden Wrote:I think I'm going to cry.

Should I decide to go down the re-re-reinstall route, is the guide on page one adaptable to install Karmic instead?

yeah you should be able to use the guide to install karmic just fine

-=jason=-

Thanks for that info. Obviously, I download the Karmic mini.iso instead of the Lucid one!

Is it worth adding this issue to the guide to save anyone else having the same issue as me?

And for the record, a fairly high bitrate MKV file played instantly when stored locally on the XBMC computer.

It appears that it may not be so straight forward.

I have got to this part
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils binutils gcc upower udisks pm-utils policykit

Where I used the following
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils binutils gcc pm-utils policykit
as instructed.

However I get the following info:

Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.

xbmc: Depends: xbmc-data (= 1:10.08~svn31718-karmic1)but is not going to be installed

xbmc: Depends: xbmc-skin-confluence (= 1:10.08~svn31718-karmic1)but is not going to be installed

xbmc: Depends: xbmc-web (= 1:10.08~svn31718-karmic1)but is not going to be installed

E: Broken Packages

What do I do now?

- harryzimm - 2010-07-15

try

Quote:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa

Quote:sudo apt-get update

Quote:sudo apt-get install -f

Quote:sudo apt-get install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils binutils gcc pm-utils policykit

cheers

It seems as though you have done it again!! It's running through the install now, so fingers crossed.

I assume when it stops I should carry on with the guide, ie the next command is
Code:
sudo usermod -a -G audio xbmc
BTW - Is there a way I can copy and paste these commands rather than having to type them out?

- harryzimm - 2010-07-15

Yes, on your windows pc, download putty. Run putty and type in your revo ip adress and your username and password, hit connect and you will be in a terminal connected to your revo via ssh and you can copy and paste the guide into the window.

cheers

I have putty installed, but whenever I try to copy with ctrl C, then paste with ctrl V I just get a ^V in the terminal window.

- harryzimm - 2010-07-15

just right click in the terminal, that should paste