Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.25 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.25 (/showthread.php?tid=74778)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

- Tyler Durden - 2010-07-15

Bingo!

I have now been through the entire install again, and I am gutted to say that the speed issue has not been resolved. If anything it is worse.

It is impossible to browse for Movies in file mode as it never seems to connect and requires a hard restart, and playing Movies takes at least 5 minutes.

Is there anything else to try?

- harryzimm - 2010-07-15

That sucks mate. How are you adding sources to xbmc? are you adding a network location or are you just browsing smb?

Hold on, I may have jumped the gun. This problem now seems to be isolated to just one of my hard drives.

I'm looking into it.

Very strange.

On the PC that holds all my Movie files, I have 4 hard drives, MoviesW, MoviesX, MoviesY and MoviesZ. I created a link using MKLink to all 4 called "MovieShares", and this is the link I set as my Movie Source via SMB in XBMC.

Now, I can access MoviesX, MoviesY and MoviesZ but MoviesW cannot be accessed! What's all that about!? I have changed nothing on that PC with regards to permissions etc for ages, but I guess that's where I'll start looking.

*EDIT* Think I've found it. For some unknown reason the Guest Permissions had "fallen off" that particular drive. WTF!!!?

- harryzimm - 2010-07-15

I would forget MKLInk, xbmc can combine multiple shares from the add source screen.

Thanks for the tip, if it doesn't work as expected I'll try that. I did the link proir to having an XBMC set up, and still need it for my NMT which now resides in the bedroom.

- Tyler Durden - 2010-07-16

Okay, perhaps I was a little hasty in saying that the issue was down to one hard drive.

I have removed all my previous sources and used XBMC to combine my multiple shares into one "Movies on PC" share. I think I used the network locations way when browsing rather than SMB.

Currently it takes about 2 mins for a film to start. Also there is a similar delay to return to the menu when pressing stop.

Another strange anomaly is that when a film is playing there is an on screen display showing a time line and the word "Seeking" at the bottom right corner in the Confluence Skin, and just a time line across the entire bottom of the page in the Night Skin.

- Roelio - 2010-07-16

I don't think there is anything wrong with your XBMC software.
More likely your are using a wireless connection or a 100Mbit connection Oo

I am using a 100Mbit wired connection. Exactly the same one that showed none of these speed issues before I tried this guide to get the lossless audio. Surely if it worked fine before there should be no question that it should work fine now.

The network still works fine with very little delay on my Network Media Tank player.

- harryzimm - 2010-07-16

The problem has to be with your network shares. I have used this guide multiple times and never had any issues with network speed. I even set up a smb share from my desktop running windows 7 to check. It all went fine and can browse my machine as normal. Thats using a dual core revo with lucid. Try checking all cables on your network. Do you have another pc you can test smb shares with?

cheers

I have 3 PCs,

1 x Acer Revo 3610 I use for browsing, and general desktop stuff, and for sorting files etc
1 x Acer Revo 3600 which is my XBMC machine
1 x Tower which is my file server.

They are all connected to a Philips Connect-X router using the Lan network, and I have never had a problem with speed before now.

Transfer speed from the PC to the XBMC machine is normal at 10.8MB/Sec, I checked this when moving my music library to it.

How can I check SMB shares from my PC or Revo 3610 to the XBMC Revo?

If I access the shares on my Tower PC, from my Revo 3610 then they play fine with no delay.

A bit more testing now shows that this issue is only present in Library mode. I have just managed to start and stop several films using file mode without any delays. I then switched to Library mode, and tried to play the same movies and the delay returned.

- harryzimm - 2010-07-16

Assuming your using windows, just right click on a folder on the revo 3610 and share it. Then in xbmc go to add source then browse then add network location, type the name or ip of the revo 3160 and fill in your username and password then hit ok. If it connects, choose the share and test.

cheers

Okay, I created a share on the 3610 Revo, and added it as a source on the XBMC. Updated the library and tried to play it in Library Mode, and the long delay was there. Tried to play it in File Mode and this time the delay remained.

I am going mad, it doesn't make sense.

The films that are on my PC, still play quickly when in file mode, but delayed when in Library Mode.