Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.25 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.25 (/showthread.php?tid=74778)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

- slashr - 2010-07-29

Greetings , thanks for this guide , followed it with my asrock ion 330ht bd and pretty pleased with it (well still need to do more sound and video testing but at least it's running smooth atm) , tried a full ubuntu desktop install before this and xbmc felt pretty sluggish in the menu compared t the minimal install so this will be my prefered method in the future as well .

Anyway ran into some "issues" , well it's more of wanting everything to look good than anything else , when i first booted up after install the framebuffer was perfect on my tv , perfectly fitted the whole screen and such .

After installing the nvidia drivers the frame buffer goes capuff and seems to have a low resolution by default and doesn't fit the screen anymore , after that i found a fix to enable frame buffer and the ubuntu logo on ion platforms and fix the resolution but it still didn't fix it as it still won't fit the whole screen .

How did you guys deal with this ? i guess you also have this "issue" as it seems to be a problem with ion (and maybe more nvidia drivers) and plymouth , did you let it be or found a solution ? (screen fits fine once xbmc launches . it's just the 5 seconds or so before xbmc launches that are bothering me .

I have installed the latest ion drivers 256.35

Thanks in advance and cheers for a great guide

Ok more progress , found out that the framebuffer / ubuntu splash screen goes bunkers when you blacklist all those things and not when installing the nvidia drivers , well the nividia drivers won't install without blacklisting that so yeah , well mostly just want to know if others also have this issue and if they found a way to fix it or if they just let it be as everything else seems to be working nice , just a bit nitpicky i guess

- BurningSky - 2010-07-29

I have the same issue, but didn't find a way to fix it jet.
You can change the Plymouth background color to black, so you won't notice that it didn't fit your screen.

- slashr - 2010-07-29

thanks for the reply Smile puts me at ease to know it's a common issue but sad that it's there but oh well , now just need to find some plyouth black theme as the ubuntu ones are all bad for that , thanks : )

- BurningSky - 2010-07-29

You can change the backgrund color by editing the ubuntu-logo.script file.
Code:
sudo nano /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.script
Change line 166 and 167:
Code:
Window.SetBackgroundTopColor (0.19, 0.04, 0.14);     # Nice colour on top of the screen fading to
Window.SetBackgroundBottomColor (0.16, 0.00, 0.12);  # an equally nice colour on the bottom
like that:
Code:
Window.SetBackgroundTopColor (0.0, 0.00, 0.0);     # Nice colour on top of the screen fading to
Window.SetBackgroundBottomColor (0.0, 0.00, 0.0);  # an equally nice colour on the bottom
Apply the changes:
Code:
sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Baustelle/Plymouth

PS: My Bootsplash looks like that:

- slashr - 2010-07-30

thanks man , appreciate it Smile will try it and let you know if run into any problems , cheers

- slashr - 2010-07-30

It worked perfectly thanks : ) , just one last thing , between the plymouth splash and xbmc launching it usually shows the console for login , is there a way to hide it or it's bound to be there ?

Thanks and sorry for nitpicking on this small details but mostly just want to know if there is a work around otherwise will let it be , may as well try to get it as seamless as possible , thanks

- BurningSky - 2010-07-30

If you find a work around for that let me know. Wink

- slashr - 2010-07-30

will do Smile , something else that i didn't give much attention to but seems to be here for the last 2 days , tried reinstalling and such .

since yesterday when i install xbmc-live i get a error saying :

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/xbmc-live missing LSB information
update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>

anyway i rebooted as usual and before xbmc starts up it comes up with :

(process : 315): GLib-WARNING : getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

it still auto starts xbmc and all but yeah it's some new error , i guess something went wrong with latest nightly or so .

also happens to you ? i also tried to do :

sudo rm /etc/init.d/xbmc-live*

sudo apt-get install xbmc-live

even tried to purge and reinstall but all the same

Thanks for all your patience to help me thus far and hoping i can start focusing on the media center part soon instead of the reinstalls to try to get everything perfect ;o damn me and my quest to aways run into issues .

doing some further testing to figure if the issue is related with plymouth or the latest xbmc nightly now , will update it soon ;o

Ok looks like the glib error was due to the plymouth fix for nvidia cards i was using , using this method now : http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Fix-the-Big-and-Ugly-Plymouth-Logo-in-Ubuntu-10-04-140810.shtml , and the glib error seems to be gone .

Either way there is that new error when installing xbmc-live wich i could swear wasn't there 3 days ago but anyway doesn't seem to have any impact on xbmc or it's start up from my experience .

Got the splash like yours with xbmc logo etc now and will try to figure a way to skip the tty screen between states , and then focus on the xbmc itself , thanks for everything so far Smile

slashr Wrote:Ok looks like the glib error was due to the plymouth fix for nvidia cards i was using , using this method now : http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Fix-the-Big-and-Ugly-Plymouth-Logo-in-Ubuntu-10-04-140810.shtml , and the glib error seems to be gone .
Have the same error, but also with this solution it still appears.

- slashr - 2010-07-30

confirming that i'm seeing it again now ;( hmm another reinstall for science ;o as i started seeing it again after doing the nforce_smbus2 fix , will post updates , also figured a way to remove the tty login screen before xbmc shows up .

warning : probably not the cleaner way of doing this but well i can still ssh to the machine and can still open the tty's from the box itself (just not tty1)

all it took was sudo nano /etc/init/tty1.conf and comment everything and reboot .

so between the plymouth and the xbmc splash there will just be the usual blinking cursor .

The best way would be to make upstart or whatever ubuntu uses now as the init system to load xbmc-live so we wouldn't have that broken synergy between the plymouth splash and the xbmc one , but now to try and sort the glibc issue as i hate errors Wink

and yeah removing the acpi force thing and updating grub didn't get rid of the problem , so yeah reinstall is the best option as i'm sure the error didn't pop before doing that fix , i shall see .

I think the proper way is to edit the console-setup:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/console-setup
Code:
ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[2-6]"

- slashr - 2010-07-30

yeah that would be much better Smile .

anyway reinstalling atm and gonna leave out the acpi fix out and see if the message doesn't pop up and well we can go from there .

about the booting i think removing the tty is as far as we can go and think it's impossible to make it 100% seamless , then again i plan to set the standy button on the remote to suspend and not actually shutdown or reboot so i guess having to actually boot up won't be a big thing , would be nice to have it all perfect but think it's enough with a minimal install anyway , probably easier with a normal ubuntu install but i don't wanna do that due to xbmc feeling slower on the menus .

will post results asap Smile

edit :

ok , can't hide the tty like that as edited it and it was still showing the tty with the welcome screen and login stuff .

the glibc error still shows even without the acpi fix so either it's the current xbmc-live or maybe it's a ion issue but i could swear i didn't see that error the first 2 days affter i got my system and was playing around and testing stuff .

edit :
editing /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf and setting runlevel to 5 seems to make the transition faster and makes the glib error flash by fast

once again it's just some fast workaround with no focus on system stability so beware , works fine for me plus the tty1 method.

think i'll just let it be like this for now and work on setting up xbmc itself and watch some stuff to relax , but knowing me i'll keep trying hehe

- nitr8 - 2010-07-31

To Disable extra TTYs in upstart

By default ubuntu has 7 consoles, this uses memory and delays startup time. The console-setup defines how many ttys are created.

xbmc:$ sudo vi /etc/default/console-setup

Change

ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"

to the number of consoles you want. Lets say, 2 ttys, then change it to:

ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-2]"

xbmc:$ sudo rm -Rf /etc/init/tty3.conf /etc/init/tty4.conf /etc/init/tty5.conf /etc/init/tty6.conf

NOTE: Even though you've reduced the tty number, X is still on Alt-F7.

- slashr - 2010-07-31

right yeah the goal was to remove tty1 so there would be no welcome screen between the plymouth splash and xbmc-live splash such as "mediacenter login:"

what i did was comment out tty1.conf , so it doesn't happen anymore , you get the plymouth splash and a quick transition to xbmc-live specially if using runlevel 5 opposed to the runlevel 2 that ubuntu has by default .

anyway it's just the way i came up with the hide the stuff i don't like and try to make the whole boot up process as clean as possible in a easy way .

not really the best way i guess but for now it works for me Smile

thanks

i guess changing ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]" to 2-6 and then deleting or renaming tty1.conf also works but by placing # before every line in tty1.conf alone works .

either way probably don't even need to comment everything just the exec /sbin/getty -8 38400 tty1

- BurningSky - 2010-07-31

The glib error is a bug in plymouth.