Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- legato23 - 2010-06-05

Since my new Imation Nano Pro 4GB usb stick is too small for restoring the image (like many others here in this thread) hereby some info on 4GB usb sticks, like speed and actual size.
Maybe the information comes in handy here.
http://usbspeed.nirsoft.net/?g=4gb

- odinb - 2010-06-05

Restored it to an external USB drive I had lying around (not flash).

Ran gparted to move/resize the swap drive to 1024MB and be in front of the Linux/ext3 filesystem for it to not be last on the drive.

Then I wanted the Linux/ext3 filesystem to use the rest of the drive. Gparted gave me an error here ("Not all of the space available to /dev/sdb appears to be used, you can fix the GPT to use all of the space or continue with the current setting?"), and could not do the resize!!
This seems to be a bug in gparted.

Had to run "sudo parted /dev/sdb" (change sdb to correspond to your drive), and then do the "print" and "Fix" command. After that I was able to rerun gparted and extend the drive.

Now I just need to figure out the remote commands to get it to behave as with XBMC on AppleTV....

- Angrenost - 2010-06-05

poofyhairguy Wrote:http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20100212135148675

Uhmm nice,i will try as soon as back home,thanks.

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-05

Well good news is I finally got the 6gb Passport Pocket to work. Not sure if just running the dd command again did it or if I used bs=8192.

Either/or, I'm now rockin'......except, I'm not seeing my smb shares out there. Is samba running automatic for people or are you having to edit your smb.conf file? When I go into Browse for new share in SMB, I don't see my WORKGROUP like I did on the ATV OS XBMC side. Although that had been flakey as well since I was connecting to a Snow Leopard box with known samba issues.

I've also manually entered smb://servername/share but it fails as well.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-05

Ok let me set some things straight. All I have done is make an image, this disk image is based not only on subversion (unstable nightly) distros of XBMC, but on an immature driver. Yes stuff will crash, malfunction, not work as planned, don't expect perfection because you will be disappointed.

To all those saying max cstate is 8, you are wrong. I passed the max c state as a kernel argument rather than how it's done on the Wiki so it will not be reflected with the cat command and will still read 8, ignore this. If you'd rather do it the way on the Wiki you will need to remove the kernel argument from com.apple.boot.plist. Then when you make the changes you will need to recompile initrd.gz/img. Then and this is why your changes aren't being reflected, you will need to recompile the mach_kernel to include the new ram disk. I've also clocked the processor down to 600Mhz. This results in better synchronisation between CrystalHD and the CPU.

@narf: to use HDMI, set up hdmi settings correctly in frontrow. For using component use the atvdisplay wiki page on the atv-bootloader google project page, as I stated previously

@zeus: Ubuntu has root access disabled by default, but using sudo you can get root privilleges, password is xbmc:xbmc (I said this before on the very first post)

@Angrenost: HDMI sound is set up perfectly, odds are you changed your audio codecs/output and set up downmuxing, analog/digital. I told you to do this in the first post. As for SMB issues, no issues communicating with WS2K8R2 shares.

@tuckbodi: Add sources thru sources.xml, the UI can lock up browsing network sources on r28256 anyway, so it's best to do it the CLI way with nano

To be honest, for me it's working pretty much near perfect, with some issues on high-end 1080p content, but that's understandable. I'm going to try the new XBMC builds soon. Obviously these issues have started once you bung a load of new platforms such as OS X and Linux and bring them into the scene.

This disk image is a showcase of CrystalHD, things like Skins, Samba Shares etc, can be easily customised yourself and if you run into a problem use a little Google.

Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to be quite pre-occupied so I won't be able to help you with the image that much.

Good luck

- Angrenost - 2010-06-05

Let me say that most of the problems here are caused by our (and my) noobish!
Your job is great and it's out of doubt,this is my first Linux install and it took 5 minutes doing nothing,i was waiting for this since months Nod
Audio issue is my fault of course,tonight i will try solve my smb connection problem.

- defiler - 2010-06-05

Got to agree - it does work almost 100% for me, and didn't exactly take long to implement. Even switching it over to component only took 5 mins. Not had any big playback problems, and they're due to bugs with the (still early) CrystalHD handling.

My only real concern at the moment is the heat generated. Reading up about CPU autothrottling here...

Edit: And I have the answer. Or all the answer I can actually use just now.

sudo cpufreq-selector -c 0 -g powersave

That'll force it to throttle back the CPU as far as it can go. The CPU will only throttle to 1000, 800 or 600MHz though. You can manually set it much lower but it won't ramp up again.

If it's already forced to 600MHz, then it might just run hot. That'll be a nuisance. Hoping it'll be a bit cooler than it has been. I've told it to shut down the hard disc and stuff like that by playing with the laptop_mode config. I'll see how I get on.

I've throttled it to 600Mhz to stop CrystalHD fighting and the CPU fighting. Chime in Davilla if this is is wrongful thinking.

As for power, it takes pretty much 23W idle or active. Remember aTV is designed to get fairly hot (it's a heatsink). I haven't had any overheating, but if you do find a way to get it a little cooler, I'd like to hear it Smile

- dafranca - 2010-06-05

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:I've throttled it to 600Mhz to stop CrystalHD fighting and the CPU fighting. Chime in Davilla if this is is wrongful thinking.

As for power, it takes pretty much 23W idle or active. Remember aTV is designed to get fairly hot (it's a heatsink). I haven't had any overheating, but if you do find a way to get it a little cooler, I'd like to hear it Smile

http://www.digitaltrends.com/features/apple-tv-heat-test/

- feikenberg - 2010-06-05

Thank you Sam.Nazarko for this image! It's working like a charm for me, even with 1080p content that would never play with OSX + CrystalHD.

I'm trying to setup my Harmony remote. For that I have to change the input device to universal remote, but in the Input Device section there is nothing to choose. In the same release for OSX I can choose between different input devices. Any ideas on what i have to do?

The aTV has always been hot I don't see the Linux install having a direct effect on this. If your that concerned about heat pull out the HDD or turn it off (it's automounted at /media/Pata)

Feikenberg you'll need to use LIRC and keymap.XML. Search I saw a guy do it on Linux with a harmony the other day

- odinb - 2010-06-05

How do I see the remote codes the remote sends? The command "irw" does not work...

- jarod71 - 2010-06-05

couple of questions.
So If i boot off the USB thumb drive, Can I use the internal drive for storage? What thumb drive do you recommend?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-06

Yes you can use the internal drive (/media/Pata). I'm using a Sandisk Cruzer Titanium 4GB