Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- defiler - 2010-06-06

voip-ninja Wrote:Can anyone else comment about playback performance of uncompressed 1080P .mkv content. Someone earlier posted that it could not handle the 3-4MB/s data rate of Star Trek MKV without stuttering.

I'm really on the fence between this and an Acer Aspire Revo (or maybe Zotac Mag). I have about 150 BD rips which are all created with mkvmerge and are all original uncompressed video and audio.

I think you read me wrongly then. XBMC on the original ATV OS (with Frontrow and all that gubbins running) will not play my Star Trek BD-rip .mkv smoothly. The sound comes out fine, but the video descends into a slideshow because it swaps so much.

XBMC on this Ubuntu image works great on the same file. There were two moments where it appeared to stutter very briefly, but beyond that it was silky. I'm satisfied that it can handle it. I've added a swap partition to the internal drive, and we'll see if that makes life better when it can swap out unnecessary applications and make space for bigger buffers.

As for the Nvidia ION platform, I've played with XBMC Live on a dual-core Atom/ION machine (on a Zotac board), with 2GB of RAM, and it works perfectly. If you must have a machine that just *works*, must have it *today*, are prepared to put in the mucking about to get the remote working, and are happy to spend the extra cash, then it's an excellent platform. If the ATV doesn't work out for me, that's exactly what I'm going to do. If you already have an ATV, grab a CrystalHD card and have a play - no great loss if you don't find it overwhelming.

Bear in mind the following:
1) This is not exactly an optimised installation of Ubuntu (and Sam has never claimed that it is). It could likely be made a lot smaller, and perhaps a little quicker, if it were stripped down a bit. It's a convenient image for those of us who don't have the time or can't be bothered.
2) This is a development version of XBMC. I expect that once they get the release version out it'll have some of the kinks ironed out, and may have these couple of stutters sorted.
3) The CrystalHD support is still *very* new, and appears to need a little work. Again it's a work-in-progress, so we can't expect it to be 100% today.

In other words, I expect that the few flaws with this release will be tidied up given a little time.

- mauzzz - 2010-06-06

This is great! I got it working with a sandisk cruzer 8Gb (removed 3U crap). All 720p files play perfectly, even BBC planet earth. XBMC will however crash on the few 1080p files that I have. We'll see what new chrystalHD driver versions will bring.

Many thanks for your work Sam!

I do have a problem now with audio. I unchecked 'DTS capable reciever' to fix a problem with a .mkv file. That fixed it. But the next day I have no sound with any file. The DTS setting has no effect. Mute is not activated as far as I can see (in alsamixer on terminal the master setting is 100, just as PCM, others are set at 0). I'm probably overlooking something very obvious. Any suggestions?

Connected through hdmi.
xbmc.log:
http://pastebin.com/T8nP7SP7

- pin87a - 2010-06-06

mauzzz Wrote:I do have a problem now with audio. I unchecked 'DTS capable reciever' to fix a problem with a .mkv file. That fixed it. But the next day I have no sound with any file. The DTS setting has no effect. Mute is not activated as far as I can see (in alsamixer on terminal the master setting is 100, just as PCM, others are set at 0). I'm probably overlooking something very obvious. Any suggestions?

Connected through hdmi.
xbmc.log:
http://pastebin.com/T8nP7SP7

Did you try restarting the ATV? Under Linux if the ATV boots up with the hdmi device disconnected (or receiver / tv set to a different source) hdmi audio won't work.

- voip-ninja - 2010-06-06

defiler Wrote:I think you read me wrongly then. XBMC on the original ATV OS (with Frontrow and all that gubbins running) will not play my Star Trek BD-rip .mkv smoothly. The sound comes out fine, but the video descends into a slideshow because it swaps so much.

XBMC on this Ubuntu image works great on the same file. There were two moments where it appeared to stutter very briefly, but beyond that it was silky. I'm satisfied that it can handle it. I've added a swap partition to the internal drive, and we'll see if that makes life better when it can swap out unnecessary applications and make space for bigger buffers.

As for the Nvidia ION platform, I've played with XBMC Live on a dual-core Atom/ION machine (on a Zotac board), with 2GB of RAM, and it works perfectly. If you must have a machine that just *works*, must have it *today*, are prepared to put in the mucking about to get the remote working, and are happy to spend the extra cash, then it's an excellent platform. If the ATV doesn't work out for me, that's exactly what I'm going to do. If you already have an ATV, grab a CrystalHD card and have a play - no great loss if you don't find it overwhelming.

Bear in mind the following:
1) This is not exactly an optimised installation of Ubuntu (and Sam has never claimed that it is). It could likely be made a lot smaller, and perhaps a little quicker, if it were stripped down a bit. It's a convenient image for those of us who don't have the time or can't be bothered.
2) This is a development version of XBMC. I expect that once they get the release version out it'll have some of the kinks ironed out, and may have these couple of stutters sorted.
3) The CrystalHD support is still *very* new, and appears to need a little work. Again it's a work-in-progress, so we can't expect it to be 100% today.

In other words, I expect that the few flaws with this release will be tidied up given a little time.

I didn't misunderstand, you said you had a couple of stutters as well as some blockiness at times on the screen.

This is simply unacceptable to me. What point is there to having a media player solution if the playback is interrupted in any fashion?

My PCH has its own issues but at least it can playback my entire BD MKV library without any playback performance issues.

I like XBMC better but seems that we are not quite there yet with a player that can offer comparable performance for .mkv playback.

- mauzzz - 2010-06-06

pin87a Wrote:Did you try restarting the ATV? Under Linux if the ATV boots up with the hdmi device disconnected (or receiver / tv set to a different source) hdmi audio won't work.

Thank you Smile I rebooted a few times but most likely with the tv set to a different source. Now it is fixed.

- reddeath - 2010-06-06

Sometime it happens that XBMC crashes and an Ubuntu login screen is presented. Is there a way to start XBMC from ssh without rebooting the whole system?

- JDizzy - 2010-06-06

reddeath Wrote:Sometime it happens that XBMC crashes and an Ubuntu login screen is presented. Is there a way to start XBMC from ssh without rebooting the whole system?

Same here, occasional crash dropping to the ubuntu login screen. I wish it would just reboot back into XBMC without me having to pull plug (which is difficult with stick in USB slot... fat fingers!)

Here is my experience so far: (Windows 7 PC (4) 1TB HDDs set on shares)

Bought a Sandisk 8GB flash drive (there was no U3 software on it).
Copied the image over, plugged the flash stick into ATV and voila, linux on my ATV.

First boot, the remote would not work.... rebooted and now it is working (although I really don't like the little white remote and wish to get my other ones working that I setup through the ATV).

Sound would not work right off the bat, so played with those settings. I set it to the 'ieXXX' setting (not 'Custom' or 'HDMI', the 'other' one), and now I have sound. (HDMI and toslink to Yamaha receiver).

Tried some music and realized that crossfade does not work. (every other song will have no sound). I disabled crossfade and now music plays every song. I think I remembered reading that crossfade would be broke. (and wish we could get that option again)

I only have 1 HD movie (Big Buck Bunny) so I use it as my benchmark. Under OS it would not play.... under Linux, it plays quite well so I say big success there!

Also, the UI is much, MUCH faster! (using Night skin)

Good tip (IMHO) on setting the screensaver to blank/black. I left ATV on all night and this morning it was warm, but not hot as usual.

Truthfully, I had removed my Crystal HD card from the ATV and bought a WDTV Live to use as my 'main' machine. (I had written off the ATV, and unfortunately XBMC was a casualty also). I have reinstalled the video card and am using the ATV again with XBMC. (which I really missed)!

Looking forward to future development and,
A BIG thanks to all involved! Nod

- defiler - 2010-06-06

voip-ninja Wrote:I didn't misunderstand, you said you had a couple of stutters as well as some blockiness at times on the screen.

This is simply unacceptable to me. What point is there to having a media player solution if the playback is interrupted in any fashion?

My PCH has its own issues but at least it can playback my entire BD MKV library without any playback performance issues.

I like XBMC better but seems that we are not quite there yet with a player that can offer comparable performance for .mkv playback.

Sorry - you're quite right. The couple of stutters I *expect* will be fixed by allocating some swap space. I'll give it a try later.

The blockiness was actually some large shadows on the image that came and went. None too pretty if I'm honest. I don't know if it'd do it again right now.

As I say, if you want an XBMC that just *works*, the ION platform is excellent right now (even though it's an SVN version). Hopefully it won't be long before the next full release, and this could clear up these issues. It will be the first proper release since (a) the CrystalHD support was added, and (b) Apple released details of the video acceleration API in MacOS X. Since the latter was very recent (due to Apple's spat with Adobe), I don't expect that to be implemented in the next release, but CrystalHD support should be coming along nicely.

If you don't currently have an AppleTV, I'd suggest you stick with the PCH right now. It's a proven system that you've already paid for. Wait for the next major release and see what people are saying about it then. On the other hand, if you love getting a new toy and you're impatient (like me), this USB image is excellent for the money Smile

- voip-ninja - 2010-06-06

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of the very hard effort that goes into these projects. It's just frustrating that there is nothing turn-key out there that delivers the bulk of the capabilities without having to go in and tweak tons of stuff, add aftermarket hardware (IR receivers, etc).

Hopefully hardware makers like Acer and Zotac realize there's a market for an off the shelf fully integrated solution running XBMC and will bring something like that to the market sooner rather than later.

- oezkan12 - 2010-06-06

i get it work, the problem was that my myth-backend did not have the name mythtv, it's computername was different. because i installed mythbuntu a few times i did not recognized it... /etc/hosts was already edited.. thanks although

- defiler - 2010-06-06

voip-ninja Wrote:Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of the very hard effort that goes into these projects. It's just frustrating that there is nothing turn-key out there that delivers the bulk of the capabilities without having to go in and tweak tons of stuff, add aftermarket hardware (IR receivers, etc).

Hopefully hardware makers like Acer and Zotac realize there's a market for an off the shelf fully integrated solution running XBMC and will bring something like that to the market sooner rather than later.

Well, there is. It's the Popcorn Hour Smile I know what you mean though. XBMC is such an outstanding system, it really deserves its own hardware platform. For what it's worth, the shadowy blocks reappeared on my next test with Star Trek. On the other hand, it managed to swap out 50MB of stuff (a lot more smoothly than the ATV OS did too), so that's a lot more buffering space for it.

Right - The Isle of Man TT is on telly, and it's the sidecars today. Those boys are mad! Big Grin

- reddeath - 2010-06-06

defiler Wrote:XBMC is such an outstanding system, it really deserves its own hardware platform.

I think that Apple TV + Crystal HD can be such a platform, which was proven with this first release of Linux USB image. Having a common hardware platform, XBMC image could be tweaked to perfection.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-06

When I get time I may make a minimal install and tweak it nice (with new XBMC)

- Riderzzz - 2010-06-06

Are there "safe" steps" to copy the usb-installation of ubuntu to the internal HDD-Drive?

So i can boot up without the usb in the atv and the speed will be at best?

I searched for the way todo it. but i have never tried this linux world.

- Einkoro - 2010-06-06

Is there anyway to get AirTunes working with an AppleTV running Linux?