Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- pkolkkal - 2010-06-09

legato23 Wrote:In my case the ATV starts booting from the stick, but it doesn't continue because something cannot be found.

Just like in my case. Maybe the partition table is not written on the stick correctly. Others here, like davilla, will know the reason better. My point was that it might not just depend on available disk space, but something else.

- reddeath - 2010-06-09

Now that we have possibility to swap XBMC linux images so fast and easily using USB stick, there is another issue which is a natural consequence of this innovation. How to keep most of the settings after changing the image?

Could someone compile a noob-level guide about which files need to be copied over (e.g. using SFTP) to a backup location, in order to save all possible settings and configurations, including video and music libraries and storage sources list?

It would be nice if there was only two steps required after changing the image:
1. Mount network drivers (fairly easy and once done can be scripted).
2. Copy XBMC settings files so that customized configuration is completed. (I am missing the information about which files store all the settings.)

Hopefully, the files with settings can be separated into XBMC version specific files and user setting files.

- Angrenost - 2010-06-09

Uhmm is the network connection ok now? Cannot SSH my ATV with r2,using Sam's img instead,no problem.
It's me or..?

Minimal Image networking - pin87a - 2010-06-09

Not sure what's going on with that. It works fine for most, but for some it's new renewing the dhcp lease.
I didn't do anything special regarding networking. It's just using the standard ubuntu dhcp client. Gonna take a look at Sam's image and see if there is a different networking package in use there that might handle things better.

If you are having networking problems, what networking information is displayed under system information -> network?
Also, can you try booting the ATV with no network cable connected, going to the network information panel in xbmc (scroll down to system, press right, choose sys info, then networking) and then plugging in the ethernet cable? In a minute or so the link should switch to connected and it should pull a ip address via dhcp. Is it pulling a invalid ip address (wrong scheme) or nothing at all?

- Angrenost - 2010-06-09

I am on Mac,on Airport Utility->Advanced->Diagnostic->Client DHCP
using r2,on boot ATV is not recognized and no IP assigned,using Sam's it's ok

pin87a Wrote:Also, can you try booting the ATV with no network cable connected, going to the network information panel in xbmc (scroll down to system, press right, choose sys info, then networking) and then plugging in the ethernet cable? In a minute or so the link should switch to connected and it should pull a ip address via dhcp. Is it pulling a invalid ip address (wrong scheme) or nothing at all?
Trying right now let you know asap

- Angrenost - 2010-06-09

No change if i boot with network cable connected or not,result is the same:

Sam's img: link :connected and ip address assigned and correct

R2 img: link not connected (even booting with net cable) and no ip of course No

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-09

See this is why Usenet and torrents can be a p.i.a. The second revision has networking problems, which is fine, people make mistakes, but now someone may download that from Usenet, and outdated versions could start floating about.

(pin87a says he is redoing the image)

- pin87a - 2010-06-09

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:See this is why Usenet and torrents can be a p.i.a. The second revision has networking problems, which is fine, people make mistakes, but now someone may download that from Usenet, and outdated versions could start floating about.

(pin87a says he is redoing the image)

Agreed.
I'm putting together a new release will be ready tonight.
Anyone who was having networking problems with the minimal release please shoot me a PM and I will get you a link to a test version. Gonna make sure we have this bug resolved for sure before I post another version.

- frumpy_uk - 2010-06-09

Angrenost Wrote:No change if i boot with network cable connected or not,result is the same:

Sam's img: link :connected and ip address assigned and correct

R2 img: link not connected (even booting with net cable) and no ip of course No

With the exception of Sam's img (which I haven't used, don't have a USB stick big enough), I have the same experience as Angrenost.

Whereas with the previous release System Info showed the aTV was looking for a DNS server at 192.168.1.1, in release 2 it shows DNS server 0.0.0.0.

I hope that helps!

If I have time in a couple of a weeks (room is being decorated now so computer access is limited and I have exams), I might make an uber minimal distro Big Grin. I'm thinking Arch Linux with the bare minimum required to make it all work. Add an auto-update script for future XBMC and CrystalHD releases and we're golden Smile

- bolle - 2010-06-09

That would be super !

- scorneil - 2010-06-09

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:If I have time in a couple of a weeks (room is being decorated now so computer access is limited and I have exams), I might make an uber minimal distro Big Grin. I'm thinking Arch Linux with the bare minimum required to make it all work. Add an auto-update script for future XBMC and CrystalHD releases and we're golden Smile

yes please!

- sraue - 2010-06-09

pin87a Wrote:Mirrors appreciated. Server it is on is kinda slow and quickupload died.

here are an mirrored file: :-)
http://snapshots.openelec.tv/tmp/

- sraue - 2010-06-09

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:If I have time in a couple of a weeks (room is being decorated now so computer access is limited and I have exams), I might make an uber minimal distro Big Grin. I'm thinking Arch Linux with the bare minimum required to make it all work. Add an auto-update script for future XBMC and CrystalHD releases and we're golden Smile

Hi Sam,

if you look for an really small distro please contact me (per PM) and try OpenELEC.tv. my wish is to let it run on ATV, but my time is a bit limitited in the moment to try how i can boot OpenELEC.tv and make it startable on ATV. i have an unused ATV here for tests, but i still have not the time to do this.

maybe you can help a bit with this - i will support you.

OpenELEC.tv is an very fast booting small Linuxdistribution to start only XBMC. its around 55-80MB (depending on included hardwaresupport) and its not based on any distribution (all things are developed from scratch). the CPU and Memory usage compared with XBMC installed on any other distribution is very small. ChrystalHD drivers are included (but not tested, because my CHD card is defect). there is also an updatescript for an easy update of the complete system. its also bootable from USB stick but i would like to run this also from internally HDD.

ok will pm you about it. by the way the file you have mirrored is discontinued because the image has issues.