Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

Ultimate Image - lalaw - 2010-06-10

Great work and thanks for your contributions to the community to Sam, Pin, and Davilla.

Just wondering, for any one considering yet another minimal image of crystalubuntu, would they be willing to through this step in the build process:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=548939&postcount=68. It is a modification to ATVclient to allow for full Harmony support on the ATV.

I'd love to see an option to dual boot ATVOS with a minimal Linux setup. If I ever get around to picking up a usb hub and keyboard, I may try to set this up myself. In the meantime, if there is a way that I'm overlooking to restore a linux image to a partition instead of overwriting the entire device, I'm all ears. If I'm able to do the work via terminal, I should be good to go.

(My ultimate hope/plan is to run this dual boot system with the in-development external database support running--hosting my libraries via MYSQL on my NAS while I have multiple clients including the ATV throughout the network)

trying to resize partitions - brock_gonad - 2010-06-10

Hey guys,

Using pin87a's R3 image, working great - thanks! Didn't have any issues with smb shares like others are seeing (Win 7 source). Was able to browse them fine at default settings from XBMC when adding source.

Anyway - 2 questions. I'm able to boot off the hard drive, but rebooted off of USB so I could resize the internal hd permissions. I'm trying to move swap to the end of the HD, but it's telling me that /dev/sda4 is mounted.

I can't see it mounted, and sudo umount /dev/sda4 tells me it isn't mounted. I thought that booting the USB image would use the swap partition on the USB... How can I umount /dev/sda4 so I can change the partitions on the internal HD?

Also - do you also need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to /dev/sda3 when setting up the internal hd as the booting device?

Thanks.

- docentore - 2010-06-10

@openelec.tv: I would like to try to build the atv image if you don't mind, jsut for learning experience.

Any tips or guides? you can pm me if you want.

thanks

- Jennero - 2010-06-10

Just got a quick question. Finally got my crystal HD!! Since .mkv were giving be a bit of trouble. If I install this image I can't use normal AppleTV functions right? Like rent movies and such?

- defiler - 2010-06-10

Jennero Wrote:Just got a quick question. Finally got my crystal HD!! Since .mkv were giving be a bit of trouble. If I install this image I can't use normal AppleTV functions right? Like rent movies and such?

No - it takes over the whole ATV. If you install it on a USB flash drive, you could use the flash-boot into Ubuntu/XBMC, and then shutdown/switch-off, remove the USB device and restart as a "proper" ATV. Seems a bit of a pain to me though.

Some people are suggesting a dual-boot, but I don't see how that would work with only the remote control as an input device.

- wojo - 2010-06-10

I think to replace my atv 160GB disk with 8GB CompacFlash Card and install ubuntoxbmc on it, do you have any suggestions?

Is it possible put 8GB drive to ATV?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-10

JDizzy Wrote:Question, I have Sam's version pretty well dialed in (although an occasional crash when entering the Movie area). Does having it little less make much of a difference? (although I would like the auto-reboot for the above condition).

I though Sam said he was working on including those 2 options in a later release.

I would be happy if there was a way to have the databases, thumbs, config, etc., saved somewhere that doesn't get written over every time you upgrade..... I have a very slow (satellite) connection that is metered (200MB per day), so it takes a while (a few days) to get everything back to 'normal'.
I actually go and download the images from a computer elsewhere.
No DSL or cable available where I live (yet).

At the moment, just symlink your videos database directory. You could have issues if you had multiple XBMC installs on at the same time or multiple versions. The new version 10.05 will have support for centralised databases.

@wojo: Yeah you can replace with an SSD. Some have done it. Bare in mind as it will be the first device (you will have it on the internal drive), you will need to modify com.apple.boot.plist.

- davilla - 2010-06-10

wojo Wrote:I think to replace my atv 160GB disk with 8GB CompacFlash Card and install ubuntoxbmc on it, do you have any suggestions?

Is it possible put 8GB drive to ATV?

Replacing the internal PATA driver with a CompacFlash has been troublesome. Some have had success, many have had failures. The choice of CompacFlash to PATA adapter is critical as most will not work correctly. I don't know why. I just know that I did it a long time ago as a test but no longer have the adapter anymore (don't ask, opps Smile

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-10

legato23 Wrote:I've changed the useraccount/password on my windows machine to xbox/xbox, but still can't connect from Pin87a R3 image to a windows share.
Which image do you use, Sam's or Pin87a's R3?

Using Pin's image my samba (to a Mac) started working without me doing anything else other than what Sam suggested way back when, which is to add my shares into the sources.xml file manually. Albeit, with Pin's I just checked and I can now also browse into my WORKGROUP whereas I couldn't before.

<source>
<name>McGee Movies_E-L</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://MINIRAWK/McGee/Movies_E-L/</path>
</source>

- Jennero - 2010-06-10

defiler Wrote:No - it takes over the whole ATV. If you install it on a USB flash drive, you could use the flash-boot into Ubuntu/XBMC, and then shutdown/switch-off, remove the USB device and restart as a "proper" ATV. Seems a bit of a pain to me though.

Some people are suggesting a dual-boot, but I don't see how that would work with only the remote control as an input device.

Yeah, I planed on putting the image on a flash drive. At least there is a way to do it, but that is not my main concern. Just want great streaming with XBMC. Thanks for the input.

- sraue - 2010-06-10

davilla Wrote:Replacing the internal PATA driver with a CompacFlash has been troublesome. Some have had success, many have had failures. The choice of CompacFlash to PATA adapter is critical as most will not work correctly. I don't know why. I just know that I did it a long time ago as a test but no longer have the adapter anymore (don't ask, opps Smile

i know about problems using CF Cards (per adapter) in the past (i dont have tryed this a long time). The problem is that many CF Cards dont use (U)DMA mode (only PIO Mode). But it can work if an patched Kernel would be used (like minimyth does: http://code.google.com/p/minimyth/source/browse/trunk/gar-minimyth/script/kernel-2.6.34/linux/files/linux-2.6.34-disable_dma_for_cfa.patch)

- lalaw - 2010-06-10

defiler Wrote:Some people are suggesting a dual-boot, but I don't see how that would work with only the remote control as an input device.

Here's how one could achieve dual boot: http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclient/appletvlinux-bootmenu

- newsilentsilver - 2010-06-10

First I must say thank you to Sam and pin87a for their great work!

An then ... I haven't a Crystal HD yet - and both disk images are working fine without it, too. The performance and the scanning of new content is much, much faster as under the normal ATV version. Now I don't have to buy an ION Nettop in the near future.

Because I haven't a Crystal HD, I have two questions/problems:

1. Sound over HDMI is working fine for videos and music, but I haven't system sound. Any ideas?

2. Because I haven't a Crystal HD, I still have the internal WiFi card. I search the net of getting the ATV WiFi card under Linux work - without luckless. Can anybody say my step by step, how I can use the ATV WiFi card under the linux from the disk images?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-10

openelec.tv Wrote:i know about problems using CF Cards (per adapter) in the past (i dont have tryed this a long time). The problem is that many CF Cards dont use (U)DMA mode (only PIO Mode). But it can work if an patched Kernel would be used (like minimyth does: http://code.google.com/p/minimyth/source/browse/trunk/gar-minimyth/script/kernel-2.6.34/linux/files/linux-2.6.34-disable_dma_for_cfa.patch)

PIO is so sloooooooow. Sometimes Windows defaults to this after crash and bootup can be awful until you can change this.

lalaw Wrote:Here's how one could achieve dual boot: http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclient/appletvlinux-bootmenu

Has been mentioned several times before. Might be a better method.

newsilentsilver Wrote:First I must say thank you to Sam and pin87a for their great work!

An then ... I haven't a Crystal HD yet - and both disk images are working fine without it, too. The performance and the scanning of new content is much, much faster as under the normal ATV version. Now I don't have to buy an ION Nettop in the near future.

Because I haven't a Crystal HD, I have two questions/problems:

1. Sound over HDMI is working fine for videos and music, but I haven't system sound. Any ideas?

2. Because I haven't a Crystal HD, I still have the internal WiFi card. I search the net of getting the ATV WiFi card under Linux work - without luckless. Can anybody say my step by step, how I can use the ATV WiFi card under the linux from the disk images?

1. You mean HDMI sound in XBMC not playing videos? It's a bug.
2. Dunno, don't think the driver support is there. If you are trying to get stability, there's no point using a Linux distro and then using a weak WiFi connection.

- newsilentsilver - 2010-06-10

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:1. You mean HDMI sound in XBMC not playing videos? It's a bug.

No, videos have sound. System sound's like "bursting bubbles" don't play.

Quote:2. Dunno, don't think the driver support is there. If you are trying to get stability, there's no point using a Linux distro and then using a weak WiFi connection.

I think that it's terrible to use an external access point and not an internal wifi card, which work's without problems under normal atv.