Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- dietcokefiend - 2010-06-21

ekb20b Wrote:Did you use this step by step guide ?

Nope, mine was much simpler.

Basically used parted and dd. Took my internal drive, made the exact partition sizes for partitions 1-4 on the original usb image, DD'd those partitions over one by one, and used the free space to make one large storage partition for movies/etc.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-21

butlertotheb Wrote:I did a quick search and didn't find anything on my question.

Does anyone know if there is any performance enhancements if I were to use this Crystalbuntu on my apple tv without having any other extra hardware mods added on like the Crystal HD.

Thanks,Matt

You can always give it a try. Videos might load faster and the interface definately will but you won't be able to take advantage of the offloading capabilities of a BCM decoder or Nvidia GPU. You should probably clock your CPU back up to 1Ghz (image runs @ 600Mhz) because there is no CrystalHD to create race conditions.

joecas Wrote:Thanks for your answer...
2 more questions:
1) how can i add another program as autostart at boot with xbmc ?

2) i installed your image into the internal hd (not the original of course)
if i do a "sudo reboot" from shell, atv reboot but does not find the hd
if i switch power off and then power on, everything works....

1: Easiest way is System > Preferences > Startup Applications under Ubuntu Desktop.

2: I'm guessing this is because when you power up, the mach_kernel is firing off from the kernel flags in com.apple.boot.plist, but when you reboot it is GRUB that is loading as the mach_kernel is already running. Try edit the /dev/sdX in /boot/grub/menu.lst as you did with com.apple.boot.plist. You might have to update the kernel argument in the file because when I upgraded the kernel I don't remember if I changed the list or not.

Hope this helps

- davilla - 2010-06-21

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:You should probably clock your CPU back up to 1Ghz (image runs @ 600Mhz) because there is no CrystalHD to create race conditions.

This is interesting, I always run mine fixed to 1GHz. XBMC is a CPU pig and the more CPU the better, specially when starting up video playback, lot's of things going on before you start to see video.

Well in my image I've got the CPU clocked to 600Mhz. The interface seems to run fine once it's loaded and video seems to start almost immediately. I find that the 1000Mhz clock sometimes causes the CrystalHD card and XBMC to fight each other. Give 600Mhz a go it seems to give better performance. Perhaps if it was 1Ghz in XBMC and then after ffmpeg and video playback tools were loaded we clocked down to 600Mhz it would be better.

- wojo - 2010-06-22

Hi guys,

As I was thinking to use CF card in my atv but finally I bought 8GB SSD with ATA connector, I put Your image on it and i boots perfectly.
I have only one problem, I have all my data on NAS connected via cabel, and when i try to play movie I have to wait a few minuts..., after that movie goes smoothly, but when I stoped it, it's happend again I have to wait... do You have any suggestion?

P.S. When I replace ATA disk and I put ssd, I have still heating problem Smile

- nikiiv - 2010-06-22

Can I disconnect internal ATA drive and use USB stick only?

- defiler - 2010-06-22

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Perhaps if it was 1Ghz in XBMC and then after ffmpeg and video playback tools were loaded we clocked down to 600Mhz it would be better.

I poked a lot of the CPU settings, and with Pin's image, the CPU throttling is enabled. It sits at 600MHz most of the time anyway, but boosts to 1000MHz when needed.

Mine still takes a little time to start a movie, but I suspect that's stuff swapping in and out.

- defiler - 2010-06-22

nikiiv Wrote:Can I disconnect internal ATA drive and use USB stick only?

Been asked before, more than once. Yes:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=554556&postcount=431

- frumpy_uk - 2010-06-22

Would be interesting to know where in pin87a's image CPU throttling is enabled/disabled.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-22

yes it is. read the first post

- pin87a - 2010-06-22

frumpy_uk Wrote:Would be interesting to know where in pin87a's image CPU throttling is enabled/disabled.

It's setup to increase the speed when necessary (regular speedstep stuff). If you monitor it (watch cat /proc/cpuinfo ) you will see it bump up to 800mhz or 1ghz when loading files and when opening a library view with a lot of files in it.

That being said, I'm not sure it kicks in fast enough to really make a difference. Locked at 600mhz seems to perform the same. During video playback w/ crystal hd it never goes above 600mhz.

- defiler - 2010-06-22

Quick question: if I need to ask questions regarding this build on the main forum, does it come under AppleTV or Linux? Presumably Linux, but I'd rather be sure.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-22

AppleTV

- Jaken - 2010-06-22

What package will give me this file on ubuntu 8.04. libmysqlclient.so.16

It is required by newer versions of xbmc if I'm not mistaken.