Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- stronzo - 2010-06-22

Hello, i´m interested in restore the crystalubuntu disk image but i´m an imac snow leopard user, i don´t have linux neither windows, is it possible to restore the disk image to the flashdrive under mac os?
thanks

- frumpy_uk - 2010-06-22

frumpy_uk Wrote:Thanks, I was unable to successfully complete the make install so assumed the errors/warnings in the make were significant.

However, sudo dpkg -i afpfs-ng_0.8.1-1_i386.deb worked for me. That's great.

I think I'm having other problems though. Reason I was messing with afp was that using samba and nfs shares, xbmc is crashing frequently when I choose multi-image backgrounds from the share. I wondered if AFP might help.

Here's my crashlog : http://pastebin.com/7tRbMFp3

Quick update on my problems with xbmc crashing when using multi-image backgrounds on the home screen : upgrading xbmc seems to have fixed the problem. Sorry for the diversion and thanks anyway for the support.

xbmc on my aTV under linux is looking good. Think it's a keeper. Thanks again to pin87a and the devs.

- frumpy_uk - 2010-06-22

stronzo Wrote:Hello, i´m interested in restore the crystalubuntu disk image but i´m an imac snow leopard user, i don´t have linux neither windows, is it possible to restore the disk image to the flashdrive under mac os?
thanks

Pretty sure you can use dd in mac os. Follow the linux instructions in the 1st post

- wojo - 2010-06-22

pin87a Wrote:It's setup to increase the speed when necessary (regular speedstep stuff). If you monitor it (watch cat /proc/cpuinfo ) you will see it bump up to 800mhz or 1ghz when loading files and when opening a library view with a lot of files in it.

That being said, I'm not sure it kicks in fast enough to really make a difference. Locked at 600mhz seems to perform the same. During video playback w/ crystal hd it never goes above 600mhz.

so how can I setup 1Ghz all the time? It is very uncomfortable waiting so long before movie starts... and ends...

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-22

stronzo Wrote:Hello, i´m interested in restore the crystalubuntu disk image but i´m an imac snow leopard user, i don´t have linux neither windows, is it possible to restore the disk image to the flashdrive under mac os?
thanks

Here's what I did:

1) Download and unrar pin's image from first post
2) In Disk Utility format 4gb USB stick (note: not all 4gb sticks work) as Fat32, and do info on stick to see what disk it is (I would have stick as only USB device for safety)(ie my stick showed up as disk2)
3) Unmount the partition
4) Run the following command from Terminal from where ever you put the image and using your USB stick name (ie disk2 <--make sure this is your USB disk!!)
sudo dd if=atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.img of=/dev/disk2 bs=4096
5) Wait, have a cup of cofee, and another, etc......can take an hour to write image
6) Turn off ATV and plug stick into USB and power up -- if you get XBMC then everything worked!

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-23

wojo Wrote:so how can I setup 1Ghz all the time? It is very uncomfortable waiting so long before movie starts... and ends...

Wouldn't do it if I were you but if you must, the easiest way is to get rid of cpufreq-d

- davilla - 2010-06-23

man cpufreq-set

pay attention to min, max and you will need to use sudo.

There's a post somewhere that has the magic incarnation.

- wojo - 2010-06-23

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Wouldn't do it if I were you but if you must, the easiest way is to get rid of cpufreq-d

So, how it was when i had ATVOS+XBMC? what was the speed?
Because when I had ATVOS+XBMC I hadn't got problems with SMB... no problem with opening, closing, searching movies, but of-course I got problems with some 720p Smile
Now when I have Ubuntu+XBMC there is no problems with hd movies but I had problems with SMB (i think) ...

any suggestion

- davilla - 2010-06-23

wojo Wrote:So, how it was when i had ATVOS+XBMC? what was the speed?
Because when I had ATVOS+XBMC I hadn't got problems with SMB... no problem with opening, closing, searching movies, but of-course I got problems with some 720p Smile
Now when I have Ubuntu+XBMC there is no problems with hd movies but I had problems with SMB (i think) ...

any suggestion

Is this a question or are you just making comments ?

- Riderzzz - 2010-06-23

I'm not sure if this the right place to ask. But i do know you guys know the answer to this question Smile

I've been trying the linux-way, but only because of the "learn-remote" fuction in frontrow i rolled back to AtvOS.

now that was'nt the problem of it. but my harddisks are still in that 6 partition linuxway. Means i can't use the harddisk in AtvOS.

I did directly a factory-restore, but that didnt help.
now i've been reading somewhere (i think) that you can delete all drives except the recovery and where the boot is located, do a factory restore and it will all be fixed. Is this true?

wich drives can i delete?
Wich command i use for this? (on ATVOS trough ssh)

Thanks for the hard work on this linux project!! even if im not using it more now.

kinda got hooked to my own remote + i think the video-stutters where not that bad in AtvOS. Thanks again davilla and Sam!

btw, this is my current disk looking like.
Code:
#:                   type name               size      identifier
   0:  GUID_partition_scheme                    *149.1 GB disk0
   1:                    EFI                    34.0 MB   disk0s1
   2:         Apple_Recovery                    400.0 MB  disk0s2
   3:              Apple_HFS OSBoot             900.0 MB  disk0s3
   4:              Apple_HFS Media              24.7 GB   disk0s4
   5:   Microsoft Basic Data                    10.8 GB   disk0s5
   6:             Linux Swap                    512.0 MB  disk0s6

- stronzo - 2010-06-23

tuckbodi Wrote:Here's what I did:

1) Download and unrar pin's image from first post
2) In Disk Utility format 4gb USB stick (note: not all 4gb sticks work) as Fat32, and do info on stick to see what disk it is (I would have stick as only USB device for safety)(ie my stick showed up as disk2)
3) Unmount the partition
4) Run the following command from Terminal from where ever you put the image and using your USB stick name (ie disk2 <--make sure this is your USB disk!!)
sudo dd if=atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.img of=/dev/disk2 bs=4096
5) Wait, have a cup of cofee, and another, etc......can take an hour to write image
6) Turn off ATV and plug stick into USB and power up -- if you get XBMC then everything worked!

Thank you for your help. I renamed my 8gb usb flash drive to "disk2"
but when I enter in terminal "sudo dd if=atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.img of=/dev/disk2 bs=4096" this is what i get: "dd: /dev/disk2: Operation not supported"

- kcarney - 2010-06-23

Don't name anything disk2 manually, you have to find what the disk is numbered using disk utility.

- stronzo - 2010-06-23

kcarney Wrote:Don't name anything disk2 manually, you have to find what the disk is numbered using disk utility.

Ok ok, i´m a noob. In disk utility I can see that is disk1.
I enter "sudo dd if=atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.img of=/dev/disk1 bs=4096" but i still get "dd: /dev/disk1: Operation not supported
" , If i don´t unmount the usb flash i get "dd: /dev/disk1: Resource busy"

- kcarney - 2010-06-23

Might be something wrong with that particular flash drive. try again but removing the last part of the command bs=4096. What happens then?

- wojo - 2010-06-23

davilla Wrote:Is this a question or are you just making comments ?

It's question like a comments Smile, so I would like to know what speed originally have ATV? Is it 1GHz (loked)? why there is no problem wit opening and closing when i use ATVOS... Smile