Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-23

It's a 1Ghz processor inside

SMB issues? - yerbabie27 - 2010-06-24

Hi all,

I've been using the patch stick version of XBMC for quite a while and decided to try this USB linux version, after all the faster the better....

It boots just fine, remembers any settings I change etc, but for some reason I just cant get it to connect to SMB shares... (they work fine from the std ATV xbmc version)

I can browse to workgroup (takes longer than expected), then I can see the server, but the moment I select it to see shares or input user details etc it just keeps the spinning icon up down the bottom right and "hangs"

my atv is connected via ethernet over power adapters (80mb/s) but I've never had an issue with the standard xbmc/atv setup.

I should point out that both full and lite version do the same thing....

Any ideas whats going on? Sad

- sraue - 2010-06-24

yerbabie27 Wrote:Hi all,

I can browse to workgroup (takes longer than expected), then I can see the server, but the moment I select it to see shares or input user details etc it just keeps the spinning icon up down the bottom right and "hangs"

Hi,

there are some other people with the same problem. Its reported here: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8840. dont know why it works for some users and for some not. Maybe an dev can help here.

- legato23 - 2010-06-24

yerbabie27 Wrote:Hi all,
It boots just fine, remembers any settings I change etc, but for some reason I just cant get it to connect to SMB shares... (they work fine from the std ATV xbmc version)

I had the same problem. I solved it by using the correct syntax for creating a SMB share location.

legato23 Wrote:When I browse SMB, XBMC will show 'working' on the bottom right, but nothing happens.
After some trial and error it finally works. Now I add a location with the following syntax: smb://xbox:xbox@servername/videos
As this takes some time with the default apple remote, I continue adding locations by editing the sources.xml Wink

In this example I used user 'xbox' and password 'xbox' to connect to my server to a share named 'videos'

- sraue - 2010-06-24

legato23 Wrote:I had the same problem. I solved it by using the correct syntax for creating a SMB share location.

In this example I used user 'xbox' and password 'xbox' to connect to my server to a share named 'videos'

i would prefer to fix this issue before the next release instead using hacks.

- scorneil - 2010-06-24

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:If I have time in a couple of a weeks (room is being decorated now so computer access is limited and I have exams), I might make an uber minimal distro Big Grin. I'm thinking Arch Linux with the bare minimum required to make it all work. Add an auto-update script for future XBMC and CrystalHD releases and we're golden Smile

Hi Sam, do you still have plans on doing this?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-24

Lot of stuff going on right now. Room is being decorated, am going on holiday soon and a rather demoralising VS2010 designer bug reincarnated from the 2005 version has messed up some of my atv-win project (it will compile fine and work in other solutions but not in the current one), so I will be quite occupied redesigning the whole of atv-win. Also have exams on the 28th. I'm sure I'll get round to it, but I'll need time.

- stronzo - 2010-06-24

Finally I could install crytallubuntu to the flash drive and it works fine.
Then i tried to install it to the internal atv hd by "sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=4096" and ok, but i now i´m not able to edit com.apple.Boot.plist.
Now I boot with xbmc if the flash drive is connected but if not i can´t boot the atv with atv OS or xbmc. Is it possible to restore the hd to boot the atv with atv OS?
Thank you

You can easily restore it....

... provided you made a backup.

If you didn't and you want atvOS back you'll have to run rebuild.sh (see atvusb-creator trunk)

- stronzo - 2010-06-24

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:You can easily restore it....

... provided you made a backup.

If you didn't and you want atvOS back you'll have to run rebuild.sh (see atvusb-creator trunk)

I didn´t, i downloaded atv usb creator but installation fails, how to run rebuid .sh? thnk you

please be more specific, without being verbose I can't understand the issue

- wojo - 2010-06-25

stronzo Wrote:Finally I could install crytallubuntu to the flash drive and it works fine.
Then i tried to install it to the internal atv hd by "sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=4096" and ok, but i now i´m not able to edit com.apple.Boot.plist.

maybe that You do dd from working image to HD... some people say that you should do dd from image file to hd... so you need another pendrive with image file.
stronzo Wrote:Now I boot with xbmc if the flash drive is connected but if not i can´t boot the atv with atv OS or xbmc. Is it possible to restore the hd to boot the atv with atv OS?
Thank you

of course it can't boot without pendrive, because inside com.apple.Boot.plist You have /dev/sdb2 so it's point to pendrive...
You have to change com.apple.Boot.plist to /dev/sda2, why You can't?

I suppose that you have read-only file system?
After boot from pen drvie You have to mount your /dev/sda2 partition with rw flag and You have to change com.apple.Boot.plist...

Code:
fsck.hfsplus -f /dev/sda2
mkdir /mountpoint
chmod 777 /mountpoint
mount -t hfsplus -o rw,force /dev/sda2 /mountpoint
cd /mountpoint
vi com.apple.Boot.plist

and change the line

- defiler - 2010-06-25

wojo Wrote:maybe that You do dd from working image to HD... some people say that you should do dd from image file to hd... so you need another pendrive with image file.
Yeah - I had that problem. Installed NFS onto the usb drive, and mounted my server to get the image file.
Quote:After boot from pen drvie You have to mount your /dev/sda2 partition with rw flag and You have to change com.apple.Boot.plist...

Code:
[...]
vi com.apple.Boot.plist

and change the line
You'll also need to run "sudo -s" to have these commands work as the superuser. And for humans, "nano" is a lot more transparent than "vi" - it shows you the control keys at the bottom of the screen which is a big help. If youre used to vi, go for it, but I find it impossible to get into - was taught emacs at university. Bring on the jihad! Wink

- defiler - 2010-06-25

wojo Wrote:so how can I setup 1Ghz all the time? It is very uncomfortable waiting so long before movie starts... and ends...

Tell you what might help - reboot the ATV. I'm sitting here trying to watch a BD-rip, and it's been awful. So I SSH'd in and checked - not much RAM to move in and a sysload >3. Rebooted and it's sweet again, and was *much* quicker starting playback.

- defiler - 2010-06-26

At the risk of turning this into the "defiler thread", I was quite pleased to see that the shutdown function works on Pin's image. I don't think it worked for me with Sam's one. The good news there is that I'll keep the ATV switched off until I need it, because it doesn't take long to start up. I'll just X10 the power socket.

Of course if I was really clever about it I'd have the ATV shutdown instruct my server to send the X10 poweroff signal, but that's a faff (mostly because Ive not switched my X10 controller to my new server).