Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- pin87a - 2010-07-16

deltazulu Wrote:Everything I am seeing from searching google involves using the NVIDIA settings manager through the GUI. I'm using pin87's image that doesn't come with the desktop and I have no ability to VNC to the machine (that I could tell) so I can't figure out how to do this thorugh command line to force the display to my crt rptv.

Are you using component video? If so there shouldn't be any edid info as that's only used on digital connections.

-- edit just saw your post ... since you are using component there is no edid to worry about.
can you pastebin /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Will leave this info here since it might be useful to others --

If you are using HDMI or DVI this will work:

1. Exit out of xbmc (choose exit in the menu). This should leave you with a regular console on your tv screen.
2. ssh into the ATV
3. start xorg with a log level high enough to log the edid info
(all we are looking to do is start X for a second so it dumps the info to the log file and then we can kill it)
Code:
startx -- -logverbose 6
4. Wait for X to load (you will probably see a error about a .xsession file on your tv screen).
5. kill the x server by pressing ctrl+c in your ssh window
6. Dump the edid information using the following command
Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig --extract-edids-from-file=/var/log/Xorg.0.log --extract-edids-output-file=/home/xbmc/edid.bin

You should see a success message similar to this:
Code:
Found 1 EDID in "/var/log/Xorg.0.log".
  Wrote EDID for "SONY AVAMP (DFP-0)" to "/home/xbmc/edid.bin" (256 bytes)

That's it. The edid.bin file will be in your home directory.

- deltazulu - 2010-07-16

posted above, but here it is again - I added 1080i to my xorg.conf since my TV does either 480i, 480P or 1080i via component.

xorg.conf - http://pastebin.com/V7CA9pFV

dmesg output - http://pastebin.com/tPyxX9vS

Xorg.0.log - http://pastebin.com/8YbYgRby

- deltazulu - 2010-07-16

So, I have 2 appleTVs running pin87's image. Both are running off usb drives.

ATV 1 is not having the issues above that I've detailed -- on a CRT based RPTV using component video
ATV 2 is working fine on a different CRT using component video

I swap the USB drive from ATV2 into ATV1 and reboot -- and it works fine on the CRT RPTV... so then I scp the xorg.conf from the original ATV2 usb drive into original ATV1 usb drive and swap the drives back to the original atv and reboot, and ATV1 will still not show me a picture after the bootup process.

I see all the boot information, I see the atv-linux logo, etc.. but then the scan rate goes in and out and I get no steady picture, and finally the TV shuts itself off since it can't sync.

- pin87a - 2010-07-16

Looking at your log file it appears you are missing the ""DynamicTwinView" "False"" setting. Without that set there might be refresh rate problems (which might explain your issue).

You are also missing Option "RegistryDwords" "RMDisableRenderToSysmem=1" which should be set to free up memory for XBMC.

Did you generate a new xorg.conf file or did you just change the "Screen" section of the one provided?

Here is my working config for 1080i over component. Maybe give this a shot?

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "type1"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option "RegistryDwords" "RMDisableRenderToSysmem=1"
    Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
    Option "HWCursor" "false"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
    Option         "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
    Option         "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
    Option         "TVOverScan" "0.80
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Modes    "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768" "720x480" "800x600" "640x480"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

- deltazulu - 2010-07-16

Using your xorg and then rebooting, I get a solid 480P signal during bootup, then some sync searching, then blue screen.

Changing the line: Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
to
Option "TVStandard" "HD480P"
the TV starts searching again, the back to blue screen, then searching, then black screen, then shuts itself off. I turn it back on and it turns back off.. repeat again and again. I don't know what has changed, it worked fine until the day I told it to reboot.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-07-16

change res to 480p in frontrow OS as well

- deltazulu - 2010-07-17

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:change res to 480p in frontrow OS as well

?? I'm using pin87's image on a usb drive. I will try this, but curious how this would affect it (not trying to doubt you, just wouldn't have thought it would matter)

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-07-17

atv-bootloader gets the desired resolution from atvOS because the vbios is read only. Therefore, a blue/pink screen occurs when the resolution in aTVOS and the vbios does not comply with the resolution that atv-bootloader is trying to load.

How to downgrade? - frumpy_uk - 2010-07-17

davilla Wrote:As a test for those having problems with new driver/lib and old layout cards, try the old firmware instead of the new firmware.

The old layout cards from ebay were always suspect as they seem to have been obtained from the Broadcom factory in China without Broadcom's knowledge. In discussions with Broadcom, we suspect that some of these cards have marginal DRAM and the new firmware has a different memory footprint that the older firmware.

I have a few old layout cards working their way to me so I can try and see what is going on and if there is something we can do in the driver to help.

The issue is the firmware is loading but not running and the command that tests that it's running is timing out.

I bought my crystalHD card from ebay ages ago, so I guess I have an old layout card. I'm experiencing worse performance with the new drivers (143) than the old so would like to downgrade per davilla's suggestion. Can someone please explain how to do so for me?

thanks
Paul

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-07-18

Either:

Code:
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/tags/crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3
cd crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd
cd

or restore disk image

whichever floats your boat.

- frumpy_uk - 2010-07-18

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Either:

Code:
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/tags/crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3
cd crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd
cd

or restore disk image

whichever floats your boat.

Terrific. Thanks Sam

- zenox - 2010-07-19

I downloaded and configured a USB drive with the 'Minimalised Disk Image by pin87a', it boots fine, but when I try and make any changes (I tried to add a sources.xml with proper settings as I cannot not see to connect to any samba shares), but whenever I reboot my apple tv (using sudo reboot command from ssh) it seems to get overwritten? Is there something I need to configure for this to not happen?

- xboxmedia - 2010-07-19

is there a way t sleep/wake linux like the apple tv os does?

- davilla - 2010-07-19

xboxmedia Wrote:is there a way t sleep/wake linux like the apple tv os does?

The AppleTV under atvos does not really sleep/wake. It's a fake. The only thing this does is sleep/wake the display and that's all. Period, end of story. The AppleTV does not have a power supply that can support a true sleep/wake.

- xboxmedia - 2010-07-19

davilla Wrote:The AppleTV under atvos does not really sleep/wake. It's a fake. The only thing this does is sleep/wake the display and that's all. Period, end of story. The AppleTV does not have a power supply that can support a true sleep/wake.

ok thanks. i just dont like the light on the front but i guess i will unplug it if it bugs me.