Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- davilla - 2010-07-30

Philmatic Wrote:Ok, I'll keep an eye out... are you considering including MPEG 4 Part 2 ASP support for XBMC and the BCM70015?

At some future date, full BCM70015 capability will be added including its video scaler.

- anton_kg - 2010-07-30

davilla, apologies if you already answered it, but I really can't find.

Is any reason why this image is based 8.04 hardy ubutnu? Why not 9.10?

I'm asking because I've installed default pulseaudio 0.9.10ubuntu1.1 from a repository but it's really old, not compatible with some new players, doesn't support volume control and so on.

And the main question: how change xbmc output to pulseaudio? I found some links but it didn't work for me.

Thanks

- davilla - 2010-07-30

anton_kg Wrote:davilla, apologies if you already answered it, but I really can't find.

Is any reason why this image is based 8.04 hardy ubutnu? Why not 9.10?

yes, see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO_install_a_Miminal_Ubuntu_and_XBMC_with_sound_over_HDMI_on_the_AppleTV

It's the only known way to get audio over HDMI working. Solve this under 9.10 and win a prize.

Personally, pulseaudio is the most brain dead thing around. It's always causing me problem and I nuke it away the first thing on any new install.

- archie - 2010-07-30

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:sudo dd if=xbmc-r28256-crystalHD-1.0.3-alsa-1.019-nvidia100.14.19-hardy-cust_machkernel-2.6.24.27.img of=device bs=4096

NAND flash chips are starting to use 8KB+ pages, which means that 4KB transfers are potentially very inefficient (erase/program/copy/erase/program vs. erase/program) and can reduce the lifetime of the device. I would recommend a larger transfer size, like 262144.

Personally I use 1048576 (1MB) with no ill effects.

You can also tweak the maximum USB transfer size:

Code:
echo 256 > /sys/block/sdf/device/max_sectors

The default is 240 for most usb-storage devices, and that tends to break up the bus transactions in a suboptimal way. Unfortunately, it is set that way because a few devices can't handle 256.

Substitute the appropriate device node for "sdf".

Quote:Minimalised Disk Image by pin87a ~ 650MB

Requires 4GB (or larger) usb drive. Image is slightly undersized so it should fit on all 4GB drives.

It looks like the image was created from a drive with 7831552 sectors.

The image can fit on a drive with ~7761920 sectors, but the GPT has two fields that point past the end of the device. This caused problems on my 7827392-sector thumbdrive since it will cause the kernel EFI/GPT code to fail two sanity checks. The symptom is "invalid partition table" on sdb, waiting several minutes to mount the rootfs, then finally dropping into a cramfs emergency shell instead of starting init, X, ...

Workaround is to patch the GPT after writing out the image:

Code:
echo -ne "\xb1\xb8\x7d\x6f" | dd bs=1 count=4 seek=$((0x210)) of=/dev/sdf
echo -ne "\x01\x70\x76\x00" | dd bs=1 count=4 seek=$((0x220)) of=/dev/sdf
echo -ne "\x01\x70\x76\x00" | dd bs=1 count=4 seek=$((0x230)) of=/dev/sdf

Quote:My 4gb DataTraveler just didn't quite make it

That is the same drive I used. All it needed was the GPT tweak in this post.

- tooshna - 2010-07-30

I know Sam Nazarko has a guide on how to install the disk image to the internal drive of the ATV. But I am new to coding and what not, I was wondering if anyone had written a n00b guide to installing the disk image to the internal drive.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-07-30

archie Wrote:NAND flash chips are starting to use 8KB+ pages, which means that 4KB transfers are potentially very inefficient (erase/program/copy/erase/program vs. erase/program) and can reduce the lifetime of the device. I would recommend a larger transfer size, like 262144.

Personally I use 1048576 (1MB) with no ill effects.

You can also tweak the maximum USB transfer size:

Code:
echo 256 > /sys/block/sdf/device/max_sectors

The default is 240 for most usb-storage devices, and that tends to break up the bus transactions in a suboptimal way. Unfortunately, it is set that way because a few devices can't handle 256.

Substitute the appropriate device node for "sdf".

It looks like the image was created from a drive with 7831552 sectors.

The image can fit on a drive with ~7761920 sectors, but the GPT has two fields that point past the end of the device. This caused problems on my 7827392-sector thumbdrive since it will cause the kernel EFI/GPT code to fail two sanity checks. The symptom is "invalid partition table" on sdb, waiting several minutes to mount the rootfs, then finally dropping into a cramfs emergency shell instead of starting init, X, ...

Workaround is to patch the GPT after writing out the image:

Code:
echo -ne "\xb1\xb8\x7d\x6f" | dd bs=1 count=4 seek=$((0x210)) of=/dev/sdf
echo -ne "\x01\x70\x76\x00" | dd bs=1 count=4 seek=$((0x220)) of=/dev/sdf
echo -ne "\x01\x70\x76\x00" | dd bs=1 count=4 seek=$((0x230)) of=/dev/sdf

That is the same drive I used. All it needed was the GPT tweak in this post.

Very nice. Sector size is definitely evolving (see WD Advanced Format drives with 4KB sectors to match 4KB cluster)

- tooshna - 2010-07-30

Everytime i download the disk image it says "no mountable file systems" when I try to mount it on my mac. So I downloaded it 4 times now and still the same thing. Am I doing something wrong or is the image corrupt each time i download it?

- Philmatic - 2010-07-31

You're not supposed to mount it, I believe OS X comes with DD included:
Code:
sudo dd if=xbmc-r28256-crystalHD-1.0.3-alsa-1.019-nvidia100.14.19-hardy-cust_machkernel-2.6.24.27.img of=device bs=4096

If not, Disk Utility may work for you, but I can't be 100% on that.

- tooshna - 2010-07-31

I was trying to use disk utility as well but to no avail, when i tried to restore the disk image to the usb it says "could not validate source - invalid argument."

I also tried that line of code in terminal but it says no such file or directory exists. Do I have to put the specific location i.e. sudo dd if=/desktop/xbmc-r28256-crystalHD-1.0.3-alsa-1.019-nvidia100.14.19-hardy-cust_machkernel-2.6.24.27.img of=Image bs=4096?

Sorry for all the n00b questions.

- Philmatic - 2010-07-31

Yes, you have to do that...

However, the of argument for DD needs to point to the device you are writing to... open a Terminal window and type mount, you will get a list of volumes that are mounted, you will be looking for your thumb drive, yours might look something like this: /dev/disk1s1 on /Volumes/UNTITLED (local, nodev, nosuid). You need the /dev/ path...

One example is:

Code:
dd if=/Users/[i][b]username[/b][/i]/Desktop/xbmc-r28256-crystalHD-1.0.3-alsa-1.019-nvidia100.14.19-hardy-cust_machkernel-2.6.24.27.img of=[b][i]/dev/disk1s1[/i][/b] bs=4096

The highlighted portions are what you need to change.

- tooshna - 2010-07-31

Thank you for your help. However it says 'resource busy' i tried pushing eject on disk utility so that the drive isnt physically removed. i tried the command again and it says permission denied. Not sure what I am doing wrong :S

EDIT: Found out I had to press umount not eject, sorry. Its copying now I hope! Thanks for your help! It is much appreciated.

- tooshna - 2010-07-31

Ok so it has finished transferring, I started up xbmc with the usb attached and i get this screen. Can anyone decipher what this means?

http://yfrog.com/mfphotoxj

- bass63 - 2010-07-31

Can anyone help me with resolution problem?

I got Samsung 42" HD-Ready plasma which supports 720p. But as with most cheap plasmas the actual native resolution of display is 1024x768 (non-square pixels).

When using usual aTV+XBMC setup i got resolution option of 1280x720 and everything works fine. But when i installed this Ubuntu version (using minimal image) the only available resolution option is native 1024x768. The HOME screen shows fine however, but when i start to play a movie the proportions are wrong, i.e. - 16:9 (1.77:1) videos have big black bars on top and bottom of the screen, Cinemascope movies (2.35:1) - even bigger black bars.

Seems like XBMC detects only available for "PC-connection" resolutions, not the usual video ones (720p). How can i force it to work in 1280x720 mode, which my TV will properly scale to it's native resolution? How can i add a resolution?

Again, it's fine with usual aTV+XBMC setup, and since I am kind of movie buff and home-theater expert, i can assure you there's nothing wrong with my TV settings considering aspect ratios. I guess the problem lies within nVidia drivers.

Can someone help me? Thanks a lot in advance!!!

- tooshna - 2010-07-31

I've been stuffing around with it all morning and i know i have to change something from sdb3 to sdb1 i am guessing but am not sure how to do so. If anyone could help it'd be greatly appreciated.

Error msg: http://yfrog.com/mfphotoxj

- Agin - 2010-07-31

bass63 Wrote:Can anyone help me with resolution problem?

When using usual aTV+XBMC setup i got resolution option of 1280x720 and everything works fine. But when i installed this Ubuntu version (using minimal image) the only available resolution option is native 1024x768. The HOME screen shows fine however, but when i start to play a movie the proportions are wrong, i.e. - 16:9 (1.77:1) videos have big black bars on top and bottom of the screen, Cinemascope movies (2.35:1) - even bigger black bars.

Seems like XBMC detects only available for "PC-connection" resolutions, not the usual video ones (720p). How can i force it to work in 1280x720 mode, which my TV will properly scale to it's native resolution? How can i add a resolution?

Take a look at first post in this thread,
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068

- I had a similar problem. On a 1080p TV, all movies were shown @50hz, but I needed 60hz because of some panel issues.

- I then first used the xorg.conf from that thread, and had to add some proper modelines for my TV (which I googled to find). Then I had to 'tell' to only use the 60hz resolution and everything worked out fine.

http://pastebin.com/MkkFiWi0 (but you'll have to get the modelines for _your_ TV and then force the 1280x720 resolution)