Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- tooshna - 2010-08-04

Sorry, I'll clear this up. By primary drive I mean that in the maintenance>settings>primary drive = external (2TB WD) instead of the internal hard disk on the ATV. I didn't have the external disk connected when I attempted to change the com.apple.boot.plist.

So just to clarify, once the img has been dd to the internal drive i begin the bootloader, login via root/root as before and use this exact code to access the boot.plist.

fsck.hfsplus -f /dev/sda2
mkdir /mountpoint
chmod 777 /mountpoint
mount -t hfsplus -o rw,force /dev/sda2 /mountpoint
cd /mountpoint
pico com.apple.Boot.plist

Then change the root string to sda3.

Thanks for all your help! I know it must be frustrating to explain everything to a noob. But it is all very much appreciated. I'll try it all out tonight.

- defiler - 2010-08-05

tooshna Wrote:Then change the root string to sda3.

I think this could be where you're going wrong. If you get to a command prompt and enter:

Code:
ls /dev/sd*

It'll give you a list of all the "SCSI" drives visible to your ATV. (These include USB and SATA these days.) Substitute /dev/hd* and it'll usually give you the PATA drives on a PC, but I think the ATV is all sd* - I don't have mine turned on to check right now.

You'll have an sda/sdb/sdc/whatever - those are the drive devices. sda1/sda2/sda3 are partitions on the sda drive. So if you need to point the plist file to another drive (rather than another partition on the same drive) you need to change the letter rather than the number.

And my wife's looking over my shoulder (hi wife), complaining that I talk about boring stuff (yes, you) on my forums whereas she (you) gets to talk about tits and stuff. But there you go. Conversation about tits anyone (except you)?

- tooshna - 2010-08-05

I know this sounds noobish but what is the code i enter to mount the usb drive?

I did some research and tried sudo mount /dev/sda1 mnt/usbkey but to no avail. Not sure what sd* the usb is which doesnt help...

My other concern is that when i open the sda2 boot.plist it says nothing about root or sdb3. All it says is <string>rp=file:///os.dmg</string>

Crystalbuntu on external usb drive works, copied to internal drive -> Crash! - pkolkkal - 2010-08-05

I am totally lost at this point. I have had problems with my old layout eBay sourced CrystalHD card crashing svn31718 XBMC on video playback with the new versions of crystal drivers. If I install older r1.0.3 driver, video playback works ok, have tried updating to various newer versions of the driver but all result in XBMC crashing.

Yesterday spent pretty much the whole day putting together a nice setup of pin87a's image on an external 120GB USB drive. No crashes, even with latest r144 driver and svn31718 XBMC, and updated Nvidia drivers. Everything worked fine.

Finally in the evening copied the linux root partition on the AppleTV disk, and made sure my 1 gig "usb boot stick" contents were indentical with those from pin87a's image. I did this with "sudo copy".

And again, movie playback now crashed XBMC before showing any video! the same linux installation that I had on the USB drive a moment before working just fine. Downgrading back to r1.0.3, no crash.

So the cause of my crashes have been all along that I was running linux from the internal disk. External would have worked. Doh...

Any ideas, what I'm doing wrong in the copy process? Or can the internal disk usage cause some difference to the CrystalHD driver operation? Maybe my internal 40Gb disk is busted...

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-08-05

You edited your com.apple.boot.plist right? This has been mentioned many times

USB will be /dev/sdb.

You are editing the wrong com.apple.boot.plist! You are editing the one on the Recovery partition of your internal drive. Do not edit this or you could mess up your restore feature.

black screen with component video - thnmnt - 2010-08-05

Well I must be doing something silly. I ran pin87's minimal image on my usb stick, rebooted the atv and saw all the boot messages scrolling by. Then my 2004 plasma (no hdmi) started trying to sync and started clicking around until it finally displayed a no-signal warning. again, i'm connected via component video out - my tv will accept a max rez of 1080i as an input but with the atvos I have it on 720p which looks great. One other thing, however, xmbc was definitely loaded because i could hear the familiar confluence click sounds when I tested the remote. anyway, the main trouble seems to be that I cannot ssh into it to see/do anything. My original atvos xbmc was on xxx.xxx.xxx.135 but this one is apparently not - I even used a port scanner to scan every possible open port and tried to ssh into those but I got nowhere.

would I fare better with the complete install? or is there something boneheaded I've done?

- pkolkkal - 2010-08-05

Yes I changed the boot path to point to the internal disk linux root (/dev/sda5). There is no other xbmc installation anywhere (usb stick or internal) so it must boot from correct place. I left the other boot params like they are.

XBMC itself starts up and runs just fine, only prob is crystal accelerated playback crashing.

As I see it, only difference is the medium where linux root partition is now stored and crystal r144 just wont run the same as it does when running from external..

First of all, make sure the desired resolution in atvOS matches the one you want. This is because the framebuffer is read only from Linux, so if you have a 1080p TV but only 720p set in aTV you can get errors such as no signal and pink/green screens.

Secondly, you don't need to use a port scanner. By default SSH runs on port 22. I think what you're confused about is your IP address of the aTV. This can be checked on the DHCP server which is most likely your router. Alternatively you can boot up into atvOS and check - I doubt the reservation would change between reboots.

What you need to do for custom resolutions and progressive scan or interlacing settings is to edit your xorg.conf in /etc/x11. You can build a custom modeline and add it for full support.

Component is not enabled by default, so you will want to do see the atvdisplay page on the atv-bootloader wiki for a how to.

Try this in SSH:

(will checkout r144 / latest SVN commit for you)

Code:
mkdir crystalHD
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
cd crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd
cd
rm -rf crystalHD

- Xfinity - 2010-08-05

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:USB will be /dev/sdb.

You are editing the wrong com.apple.boot.plist! You are editing the one on the Recovery partition of your internal drive. Do not edit this or you could mess up your restore feature.

Trying todo the same thing as tooshna with the exception that I want to use the internal hdd and not an external one.

I might be doing the same mistake as tooshna, but I cannot find the com.apple.boot.plist. When I write the command "pico com.apple.Boot.plist" I only get a black screen. If I try and find the file I get nothing. Where is it?

And yes, I am a Linux illiterate. Thought my DOS experience would be enough hehe... so help me please!

Thanks! Smile

EDIT: Solved it, I mounted the /dev/sda2 partition to a directory and found the boot.plist-file. I have now edited it!

- thnmnt - 2010-08-05

Thanks Sam - It turns out that my atv has a static IP (set it up so long ago). I loaded up the old atvos and was able to ssh in no problem. I then rebooted with the usb stick and tried to ssh to the same ip address and port (22) but got a network timed out error. I had confirmed that my atvos video output was set to 720pHD and as I may have said my atvos installation of xbmc works perfectly.

edit::::
It turns out that the SSH problem was because I had assigned a static ip - and linux was pulling one from my router - so it was obviously going to be a new one. I went to the router's DHCP table and saw an IP I didn't recognize, which naturally turned out to be the atv/linux box.

So thanks for this and now i'll go see about editing that file Smile

- pkolkkal - 2010-08-05

Sam that is exactly the process that I use to upgrade/downgrade my driver. Driver installation works fine, as far as I can see. Driver gets loaded and used by XBMC, so no problem there.

Notice r144 is a github sync so it may have a few quirks as it is only a recent sync from Jarod Wilson's dev. Try r143 as people had success with that. If it's all working, (verify with lsmod and lspci) then I don't see why it's not working in XBMC. You could restore the image fresh or maybe Scott can help. Try reverting to r26 (1.0.3) and see what happens

- tooshna - 2010-08-05

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:USB will be /dev/sdb.

So the only code I need to enter to mount the usb is
"sudo mount /dev/sdb mnt/usbkey" correct? I don't need to substitute anything?

Hmmm is there anyway to tell which is the correct com.apple.Boot.plist? Or is it just a matter of mounting each one and checking? I did the "ls /dev/sd* and it shows up with the following: sda sda1 sda2 sda3 sdb sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdc sdc1 sdc2