Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- pkolkkal - 2010-08-06

I have tried several versions, also r143, in the past weeks. r26 (1.0.3) is the one that works, but it also sometimes crashes, which makes me wish I could update that driver some day..

lsmod shows this
02:00.0 Multimedia controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 1612 (rev 01)

- noreason4nothin - 2010-08-06

Hi there,

just a quick noob question:

Can i install linux on the internal hard drive? Is there any way to get the oroginal ATV OS back?

What interface do i see if i use this stick? Is it the XBMC Version for Linux (aka i wont see any difference as long as i stay inside xbmc?)

thx!

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-08-06

thnmnt Wrote:Thanks Sam - It turns out that my atv has a static IP (set it up so long ago). I loaded up the old atvos and was able to ssh in no problem. I then rebooted with the usb stick and tried to ssh to the same ip address and port (22) but got a network timed out error. I had confirmed that my atvos video output was set to 720pHD and as I may have said my atvos installation of xbmc works perfectly.

edit::::
It turns out that the SSH problem was because I had assigned a static ip - and linux was pulling one from my router - so it was obviously going to be a new one. I went to the router's DHCP table and saw an IP I didn't recognize, which naturally turned out to be the atv/linux box.

So thanks for this and now i'll go see about editing that file Smile

Use a static reservation at the router / DHCP server and then it will never change Smile

tooshna Wrote:So the only code I need to enter to mount the usb is
"sudo mount /dev/sdb mnt/usbkey" correct? I don't need to substitute anything?

Hmmm is there anyway to tell which is the correct com.apple.Boot.plist? Or is it just a matter of mounting each one and checking? I did the "ls /dev/sd* and it shows up with the following: sda sda1 sda2 sda3 sdb sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdc sdc1 sdc2

Don't think so because me and pin probably partitioned the drives in a different order.

noreason4nothin Wrote:Hi there,

just a quick noob question:

Can i install linux on the internal hard drive? Is there any way to get the oroginal ATV OS back?

What interface do i see if i use this stick? Is it the XBMC Version for Linux (aka i wont see any difference as long as i stay inside xbmc?)

thx!

You can install it on the internal drive. If you want to restore a backup see the atvbackup wiki page on atv-bootloader's google code project page. If you use the stick you see XBMC, no difference UI wise (you get Confluence - but can change this through SSH.) If you use my image you can get a desktop too if you would like

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-08-06

Faulty DRAM on card? Do you have an old layout card, it's possible if you bought from eBay

- davilla - 2010-08-06

pkolkkal Wrote:I have tried several versions, also r143, in the past weeks. r26 (1.0.3) is the one that works, but it also sometimes crashes, which makes me wish I could update that driver some day..

lsmod shows this
02:00.0 Multimedia controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 1612 (rev 01)

Without posting (http://www.pastebin.com) xbmc.log or any crash logs, guessing why xbmc crashed is futile. Could be crystalhd driver/lib, could be xbmc, could be anything Smile

- defiler - 2010-08-06

Tonight I tried to update my ATV (again), starting with Pin's image on the internal HDD, and then following the instructions here. Well, it still starts up so that's a plus! Smile

The downside is it's still choking on HD content. 2001 used to play fine before, but now it's jerky and in black&white. Star Trek is much jerkier than before. Other movies I've tried have video corruption every second or so. These are all Blu-Ray rips, using MakeMKV and AnyDVD-HD. No other processing done.

So, is this to be expected? Are we all in the same boat, cramming HD rips through HandBrake, or am I having an unusual problem?

Obviously this is still not a "release" version of XBMC, so I don't expect it to be perfect. I'm just wondering if I've made a pig's ear of it, or if this is indicative of a crappy CrystalHD card. Ideas anyone?

(For the record, SD seems to be just fine. So do HD rips that I've HandBraked to shrink, but that's a nuisance that I'd rather avoid.)

- frumpy_uk - 2010-08-06

defiler Wrote:Tonight I tried to update my ATV (again), starting with Pin's image on the internal HDD, and then following the instructions here. Well, it still starts up so that's a plus! Smile

The downside is it's still choking on HD content. 2001 used to play fine before, but now it's jerky and in black&white. Star Trek is much jerkier than before. Other movies I've tried have video corruption every second or so. These are all Blu-Ray rips, using MakeMKV and AnyDVD-HD. No other processing done.

So, is this to be expected? Are we all in the same boat, cramming HD rips through HandBrake, or am I having an unusual problem?

Obviously this is still not a "release" version of XBMC, so I don't expect it to be perfect. I'm just wondering if I've made a pig's ear of it, or if this is indicative of a crappy CrystalHD card. Ideas anyone?

(For the record, SD seems to be just fine. So do HD rips that I've HandBraked to shrink, but that's a nuisance that I'd rather avoid.)

Do you have the crystal HD option in Video playback settings? I thought it had been temporarily removed from recent builds....?

- bass63 - 2010-08-07

Ok, guys, i got another problem. About 70% of the time my aTV+CrystslUbuntu (minimal image on USB flash) can't seems to do proper HDMI-handshake.

My main resolution is 1080p24 and I've enabled option to automatically switch refresh rate to source file's rate. So, sometimes when i start playback, XBMC switches the rate, the screen goes blank and system halts - no sound, nothing. When i unplug/plug HDMI-cable or switch TV to another input and back it re-initiates HDMI-connection and playback starts normally until next refresh rate change. Sometimes system halts even on the boot, when switching from Ubuntu shell (1080p50) to XBMC interface (1080p24). It can stay like this for hours until i replug HDMI or change inputs.

I've tried two HDMI-cables and both direct connection to the TV (Sharp Aquos LED) and through my Receiver (Pioneer 919) - it is the same. Seems to me the problem lies within HDMI/HDCP-handshake. Any way i can fix this? Maybe update the video drivers? How?

So, has anyone experienced such problems or is it just my TV glitch? Thanks for the help!

P.S. I know i can just use fixed refresh rate of, say, 24p, but then my TV Shows won't play as smooth as with their native refresh rate mode, so I'm looking for the fix...

- davilla - 2010-08-07

defiler Wrote:Tonight I tried to update my ATV (again), starting with Pin's image on the internal HDD, and then following the instructions here. Well, it still starts up so that's a plus! Smile

"and in black&white" -> change the render from auto to ARB.

Did you look at xbmc.log to see if crystalhd was being used for your problem content ?

- pkolkkal - 2010-08-07

bass63 Wrote:So, has anyone experienced such problems or is it just my TV glitch? Thanks for the help!

I have had the exact same problem, with video blacking out at refresh rate changes. Also no sound so I think XBMC itself freezes too. Sometimes waiting some tens of seconds brings back video and everything continues fine (I found this out by accident), usually I just reset the whole thing...

This is why I have updated Nvidia drivers to some newer version. It seems to help. Audio over HDMI is not important for me.

- pkolkkal - 2010-08-07

Once I have time, I'll dd again a clean copy of one of the two crystalbuntu images on the usb drive and do a svn-xbmc & crystal upgrade, then copy that to the internal disk. Last time I basically did this except for changing a few preference settings.

Scott, crash report should be found at user home directory, with xbmc debugging turned on right? I never get those on these crashes. I'll post the xbmc.logs once I get the reinstall done.

- defiler - 2010-08-07

davilla Wrote:"and in black&white" -> change the render from auto to ARB.

Did you look at xbmc.log to see if crystalhd was being used for your problem content ?

Changed to ARB, but now it's really jerky (although in colour, as promised!). The picture and sound moves about once a second, and then only momentarily. That was the only setting I changed since last night. (I changed a couple of others and then put them right back.)

Here's a pastebin of my log. I started XBMC, played a few seconds of 2001 a couple of times, and then played a couple of minutes of Moon. Neither seems to be stressing the CPU greatly (looking at 'top' in an ssh session), and both appear to be using the CrystalHD card.

A number of BD rips were doing this digital noise on the picture every second before I updated, exactly as shown here, so the update hasn't caused this (but neither has it fixed it as I hoped it might).

If these are fleeting issues that are being sorted for the full release, then there's no point in me getting concerned about them - I'll bide my time until release day. But if they're new problems, or something I've done to my config, I'd love to hear! Smile

Thanks!

- davilla - 2010-08-07

defiler Wrote:Changed to ARB, but now it's really jerky (although in colour, as promised!). The picture and sound moves about once a second, and then only momentarily. That was the only setting I changed since last night. (I changed a couple of others and then put them right back.)

Here's a pastebin of my log. I started XBMC, played a few seconds of 2001 a couple of times, and then played a couple of minutes of Moon. Neither seems to be stressing the CPU greatly (looking at 'top' in an ssh session), and both appear to be using the CrystalHD card.

A number of BD rips were doing this digital noise on the picture every second before I updated, exactly as shown here, so the update hasn't caused this (but neither has it fixed it as I hoped it might).

If these are fleeting issues that are being sorted for the full release, then there's no point in me getting concerned about them - I'll bide my time until release day. But if they're new problems, or something I've done to my config, I'd love to hear! Smile

Thanks!

Going right for the gusto with 1080p vc1 I see Smile

Moon.mkv seem to play ok, lot's of
CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity with the other. Strange.

- defiler - 2010-08-08

davilla Wrote:Going right for the gusto with 1080p vc1 I see Smile
Yeah well... Shoot for the moon, and if you miss, you die a cold and lonely death of asphyxiation in the emptiness of space. Or you reach the stars. Whichever is more romantic! Smile

The thing is that Pin's image will play the vc1 video no trouble at all. It's 2001 - there's never all that much movement until the second-to-last scene. It's only been since I put on those updates that it chokes, and now it's unwatchable.

Quote:Moon.mkv seem to play ok, lot's of
CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity with the other. Strange.

Well, it plays at full speed, but with the artefacts on the screen it's simply unwatchable as well, and this seems to be the case for most of my BluRay rips. If I wring them through HandBrake for hours, I get a file that's finally playable / watchable / excellent. But I'd rather play the original stream, and in some cases (like District 9 with its forced subtitles) it's a real pain to convert, as well as holding up my movie joy for hours on new titles.

(District 9 involved recoding the whole thing on my server using HandBrake, and then using MeGUI on my desktop to extract the video stream from the recoded version, the audio stream from the original, and the forced subtitles from the original. I had to do some conversion on the subs, and then remux the whole lot into a new .mkv. It played in the end, but surely there's a simpler way!)

I know I'm moaning - I'm just tired. DOn't want to come across as a whining bitch, because XBMP/XBMC have always impressed me greatly, and XBMC is by far my media player of choice. My plan is to simply rip BluRays onto a Samba server, without any time-consuming processing before I can sit down and play them. It looks like XBMC with the CrystalHD will manage it, but it's not quite there yet.

Some things (like Life On Mars) will play just fine, straight from the BluRay rip. So it's not as if I've done something that's obviously broken everything.

Any ideas on where the problem might lie? Or is there any more information I can provide that'll help to nail down the source of the trouble? I'm using component video, in case that should make any difference.

- davilla - 2010-08-08

defiler Wrote:Yeah well... Shoot for the moon, and if you miss, you die a cold and lonely death of asphyxiation in the emptiness of space. Or you reach the stars. Whichever is more romantic! Smile

The thing is that Pin's image will play the vc1 video no trouble at all. It's 2001 - there's never all that much movement until the second-to-last scene. It's only been since I put on those updates that it chokes, and now it's unwatchable.

Well, it plays at full speed, but with the artefacts on the screen it's simply unwatchable as well, and this seems to be the case for most of my BluRay rips. If I wring them through HandBrake for hours, I get a file that's finally playable / watchable / excellent. But I'd rather play the original stream, and in some cases (like District 9 with its forced subtitles) it's a real pain to convert, as well as holding up my movie joy for hours on new titles.

(District 9 involved recoding the whole thing on my server using HandBrake, and then using MeGUI on my desktop to extract the video stream from the recoded version, the audio stream from the original, and the forced subtitles from the original. I had to do some conversion on the subs, and then remux the whole lot into a new .mkv. It played in the end, but surely there's a simpler way!)

I know I'm moaning - I'm just tired. DOn't want to come across as a whining bitch, because XBMP/XBMC have always impressed me greatly, and XBMC is by far my media player of choice. My plan is to simply rip BluRays onto a Samba server, without any time-consuming processing before I can sit down and play them. It looks like XBMC with the CrystalHD will manage it, but it's not quite there yet.

Some things (like Life On Mars) will play just fine, straight from the BluRay rip. So it's not as if I've done something that's obviously broken everything.

Any ideas on where the problem might lie? Or is there any more information I can provide that'll help to nail down the source of the trouble? I'm using component video, in case that should make any difference.

It's very strange that crystalhd would have problems with raw bluray rips, it's designed for that in the first place. Raw decrypted bluray is also "in spec" with respect to encoding specs so there's no issue with respect to how it was encoded.

If you can, spend some time watching the decoder OSD ( type 'o' and it pops up). aq and vq are the demuxer queues, if either drop to zero then it's catch up time. framedrops happen when audio or video has to play catchup. a/v is audio/video sync. That should be close to 0.05. And fps should be close to the video content.

If pts coming from video demuxer is broked, then fps and a/v gets wonky (nice technical term), then video player tries to sync audio and video and you see framedrops and vq starts dropping to zero.

Also try analog audio out instead of passthrough, there could be something wonky with audio playback and that's effecting video.

And you mentioned "artefacts", what are you seeing (exactly the same as icedtrip ?) and which crystalhd driver/lib are you using ?

MediaInfo output from good/bad vc1 rips would be interesting to see.