Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-08-08

I don't think the latest builds have CrystalHD support (I may be mistaken), so upgrading may negate your ability to use CrystalHD.

- pkolkkal - 2010-08-08

What I meant was that I'll upgrade to 31718 svn build of XBMC because it will at least know how to use the later crystal driver builds like r143.

XBMC svn28256 is no good for even trying out new crystalhd driver versions.

In other news: there is one helluva thunderstorm raging over Finland right now. I've never seen anything like this before. Something I imagine approaching tornado would look like.. Unplugged my AppleTV just in case :-)

- defiler - 2010-08-08

davilla Wrote:If you can, spend some time watching the decoder OSD ( type 'o' and it pops up).
Okey dokey. (I have no USB keyboard in the house, but holding "Menu" on the remote achieves the same it seems.)

Code:
D(Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 448 kb/s) P(aq: 0%, kB/s:65.68)
D(Video: vc1, yuv420p, 1920x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9]) P(vq:99%, dc:chd-vc1, Mb/secL1.76, drop:1, pc:none)
C( ad:0.000, a/v:-13943143517.167, edi:-, dcpu: 1% acpu: 0% vcpu: 1% )
W( fps:3.88 CPU0: 8.4% )

So clearly the audio is crapping out. Does the same whether it's set for analogue or digital. My amp will decode DD and DTS, so the AC3 stream should just be swallowed whole.

As a test, I deleted the guisettings.xml file, and recreated my config. Does exactly the same.

Quote:If pts coming from video demuxer is broked, then fps and a/v gets wonky (nice technical term), then video player tries to sync audio and video and you see framedrops and vq starts dropping to zero.
This looks like a likely candidate. How can I tell if this is broken, and what's gone wrong with it?
Quote:And you mentioned "artefacts", what are you seeing (exactly the same as icedtrip ?) and which crystalhd driver/lib are you using ?
I'm using whatever came on Pin's image. Is there a way to tell? Even better, do you know if there's a step-by-step procedure to update this? I've downloaded the source, but I'm struggling with compiling/installing.

The artefacts are exactly like icedtrip's - they come on for a second (in those horizontal stripes), and then I get a clean image for a second. When the artefacts appear, it's not displaying the current frames, but seems to be replaying some of the previous frames. Alternates every second. Movie runs normal speed, and sound is fine. (Just now I'm getting a lot of dropped frames with it, but I think that's just because I'm SSHing the hell out of the little box too...)
Quote:MediaInfo output from good/bad vc1 rips would be interesting to see.
Whew - that's one I *can* get for you! Smile

2001 - A Space Odyssey - problems as described above.
Moon - "Striped" artefacts across replayed frames.
Twilight - Striped artefacts.
Life on Mars (Season 1, Episode 1) - Plays fine.

Alternatively, I've run The Hurt Locker through HandBrake. The DVD rip has the artefacts, but the recode plays clean.

Is that okay? Most of my stuff is DVD, so I don't have many BDs to test.

- davilla - 2010-08-08

defiler Wrote:I'm using whatever came on Pin's image. Is there a way to tell? Even better, do you know if there's a step-by-step procedure to update this? I've downloaded the source, but I'm struggling with compiling/installing.

The artefacts are exactly like icedtrip's - they come on for a second (in those horizontal stripes), and then I get a clean image for a second. When the artefacts appear, it's not displaying the current frames, but seems to be replaying some of the previous frames. Alternates every second. Movie runs normal speed, and sound is fine. (Just now I'm getting a lot of dropped frames with it, but I think that's just because I'm SSHing the hell out of the little box too...)

ok, cluestick for me this time, r31718 is pretty old (svn trunk is 32603 at this time) and I bet Pin's image is using the r26 crystalhd driver/lib too.

That's over 1000 commits behind where things are at right now Smile

There's an issue with PPA and crystalhd right now that I have to resolve.

- defiler - 2010-08-09

davilla Wrote:ok, cluestick for me this time, r31718 is pretty old (svn trunk is 32603 at this time) and I bet Pin's image is using the r26 crystalhd driver/lib too.

That's over 1000 commits behind where things are at right now Smile

There's an issue with PPA and crystalhd right now that I have to resolve.

Ah - okay. 1000 commits? That's pretty... umm... committed! Yeah - sorry. This is why I'm not in the Edinburgh Festival.

I'll have a look at doing the update again with later packages. As for the CrystalHD software, does anyone have a procedure for compiling / installing the new versions? It's been so many years since I went around compiling kernels in Linux, and it's all changed in the meantime...

Thanks Davilla!

Oh, and Frumpy - yes I have that option, but it would appear that's because I'm not on a recent build Smile

- frumpy_uk - 2010-08-09

defiler Wrote:Ah - okay. 1000 commits? That's pretty... umm... committed! Yeah - sorry. This is why I'm not in the Edinburgh Festival.

I'll have a look at doing the update again with later packages. As for the CrystalHD software, does anyone have a procedure for compiling / installing the new versions? It's been so many years since I went around compiling kernels in Linux, and it's all changed in the meantime...

Thanks Davilla!

Oh, and Frumpy - yes I have that option, but it would appear that's because I'm not on a recent build Smile

In order to update the driver, you can follow this (will install the latest driver, not r114): http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=560894&postcount=544

- MasterOe - 2010-08-09

frumpy_uk Wrote:In order to update the driver, you can follow this (will install the latest driver, not r114): http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=560894&postcount=544

pin87s gave me this information , how to update his image:

Quote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=577311&postcount=738

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-08-09

Yeah but doing that will take away your CrystalHD support as it will install a build that does not have CrystalHD functionality. You can however update your driver. Bleeding edge:

Code:
mkdir crystalHD
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
cd crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd
cd
rm -rf crystalHD

- MasterOe - 2010-08-09

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Yeah but doing that will take away your CrystalHD support as it will install a build that does not have CrystalHD functionality. You can however update your driver. Bleeding edge:

Code:
mkdir crystalHD
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
cd crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd
cd
rm -rf crystalHD

Are you sure?
CrystalHD is definitly implemented in this revision.
After this update i didn't need to install any crystal driver, hd movies works well Smile

You're saying the latest PPA nightly you got through apt-get has CrystalHD support? If that's the case then Davilla has fixed the issue.

The driver bit is irrelevant, while necessary you are probably still running r26. I'm talking about the XBMC build not the driver here

- MasterOe - 2010-08-09

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:You're saying the latest PPA nightly you got through apt-get has CrystalHD support? If that's the case then Davilla has fixed the issue.

The driver bit is irrelevant, while necessary you are probably still running r26. I'm talking about the XBMC build not the driver here

sorry for the misunderstanding,
but i'm talking about the update procedure for pin87s image to revision svn31718

No problem, what I was saying is new builds lack CrystalHD support, and I'm not sure if you can still upgrade to 31718 because it was quite a long time ago.

- noreason4nothin - 2010-08-09

Is there any way i can access the movies i saved on my internal hard drive while using this usb boot method?

- davilla - 2010-08-09

noreason4nothin Wrote:Is there any way i can access the movies i saved on my internal hard drive while using this usb boot method?

Mount the internal partition to a mount point and browse to them.

- pklee - 2010-08-10

hello. total linux noob here and i'm using pin87a's img. I got the image to the usb drive but when i boot it hangs at "Begin: Waiting for root file system... ..." then i get the following error.

Check root = bootarg cat /proc/cmdline or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
Alert! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to Shell

anybody know how i fix this?