Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- tooshna - 2010-08-13

i just dont get it. ive been trying to get this to work for weeks now with no success. here is the code i entered trying to install pins image to the internal atv hard drive [i renamed pins image to just 'atv.img' to save typing errors] - http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8009/photokm.jpg

please help...

- frumpy_uk - 2010-08-13

tooshna Wrote:i just dont get it. ive been trying to get this to work for weeks now with no success. here is the code i entered trying to install pins image to the internal atv hard drive [i renamed pins image to just 'atv.img' to save typing errors] - http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8009/photokm.jpg

please help...

Loads of "sudo not found" then? I saw these errors when my box failed to boot with "waiting for root file system". It hung for a while and then hit a "intrafms" (or something similar) prompt. Is that what's happening with yours?

Would certainly help if you could explain what you've managed to do so far - I saw an earlier post of yours stating that you'd formatted your usb as fat32 and copied the image onto it. That's not going to work unless you restored the image properly instead of just copying and pasting. I don't know how to restore the image to a usb stick on a mac, but I'm sure that's in this thread somewhere....

I also saw an earlier post that your atv was configured to use the external drive as primary. From what I understand, you want to stick the pin's image onto the internal drive.

I think I agree with an earlier reply from Sam that you need to find a way to get the box to boot - the reason for this is that you need your box to at least get as far as having telnet support or ssh support. I would go with Sam's suggestion to build a patchstick in order to enable telnet support. You'll need 2 usb sticks - 1 with pin's image and 1 for the patchstick. There are much more educated people than me floating around so you may need more help from them, but I would at least try using this http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator get your patchstick done. Make sure you read up properly before you try it, Sam clearly said not to use the patchstick to install any software, just use it to get telnet support.

Once your box has telnet support you'll need to follow this to edit com.apple.Boot.plist:

Point atv-bootloader (on usb drive) to new internal drive install (you might have to change the italicised text depending on what letter your usb drive with pin's image was assigned):
Code:
1. sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sd[i]b2[/i]
2. sudo mkdir /media/atvboot
3. sudo mount /dev/sd[i]b2[/i] /media/atvboot
4. sudo nano /media/atvboot/com.apple.Boot.plist
and change "root" to /dev/sda5 (or wherever you installed pin's image to)

Note: I found that the easiest way to find out which letter your usb drives are assigned is to use
Code:
sudo dmesg
- this will spew out loads of information, just look for mention of usb drives, and you should see sdb sdc along with the make/model of each of your drives. I hope that makes sense.

Good luck!

- tooshna - 2010-08-13

Hi frumpy. Yes that's similar to what happened to mine because I changed the primary drive to the external hard drive so it is searching for the root system sdb3.

I did format my usb as fat32 and drag n drop the .img file to it because thats what pin said i have to do to be able to install it on the atv internal drive. But if you wanted to boot from a usb stick sticking in a hub then you use this command in terminal to write the img to the stick.

Code:
dd if=/Users/Stephen/Desktop/atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.img of=/dev/disk1s2 bs=4096

I have built a patchstick and logged in with root/root, tells me im logged in as tty1 or something. thats where i then try the fsck.hfsplus -f /dev/sdb2 and nothing works, no directory i try works, it seems only sda2 has a com.apple.boot.plist but it doesnt reference any sd*, only os.dmg which i have been told is the restore point. I have both the patchstick and the usb with pins image plus the keyboard stuck into the hub, i dont need the external drive (aka primary drive) plugged in too do i? Thanks for the dmesg code however it spews out so much code i cant see the top of it as it gets cut off. I am just wondering what to do now, i am all out of ideas and just spent 2 hours trying to mount all directories and access the com.apple.boot.plists.

- frumpy_uk - 2010-08-13

tooshna Wrote:Hi frumpy. Yes that's similar to what happened to mine because I changed the primary drive to the external hard drive so it is searching for the root system sdb3.

I did format my usb as fat32 and drag n drop the .img file to it because thats what pin said i have to do to be able to install it on the atv internal drive. But if you wanted to boot from a usb stick sticking in a hub then you use this command in terminal to write the img to the stick.

Code:
dd if=/Users/Stephen/Desktop/atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.img of=/dev/disk1s2 bs=4096

I have built a patchstick and logged in with root/root, tells me im logged in as tty1 or something. thats where i then try the fsck.hfsplus -f /dev/sdb2 and nothing works, no directory i try works, it seems only sda2 has a com.apple.boot.plist but it doesnt reference any sd*, only os.dmg which i have been told is the restore point. I have both the patchstick and the usb with pins image plus the keyboard stuck into the hub, i dont need the external drive (aka primary drive) plugged in too do i? Thanks for the dmesg code however it spews out so much code i cant see the top of it as it gets cut off. I am just wondering what to do now, i am all out of ideas and just spent 2 hours trying to mount all directories and access the com.apple.boot.plists.

1st question: when you boot up using the patchstick are you using a terminal emulator (like putty) to enter your commands or are you using a keyboard? Use a terminal emulator, then you can scroll around to see the entire dmesg output. You really need to be able to check what sdb/sdc/whatever your usb sticks are being assigned. Using a terminal emulator will also enable you to copy and paste from here straight into the terminal and also copy and paste results from the terminal back to here.

2nd question: if you plug the usb stick which has pin's image on into your pc, and look at the contents, what do you see?

- tooshna - 2010-08-13

I am just using a keyboard, i dont really know how to use a terminal emulator, i dont mind entering the commands manually. I've figured out whats sd* is what by plugging/unplugging devices and typing ls /dev/sd* each time to se what diappears/reappears. And I've found that my usb is sdb which has 2 other parts sdb1 & sdb2.

As to your second question, if you meant when i use the dd command in terminal to copy the contents onto the usb? after you've done that, if u mount it on the mac it cant recognize it and asks you to initialize and format it

- frumpy_uk - 2010-08-13

tooshna Wrote:I am just using a keyboard, i dont really know how to use a terminal emulator, i dont mind entering the commands manually. I've figured out whats sd* is what by plugging/unplugging devices and typing ls /dev/sd* each time to se what diappears/reappears. And I've found that my usb is sdb which has 2 other parts sdb1 & sdb2.

As to your second question, if you meant when i use the dd command in terminal to copy the contents onto the usb? after you've done that, if u mount it on the mac it cant recognize it and asks you to initialize and format it
Using a terminal emulator is no different, but much better, than entering commands directly for the reasons given above, also because you won't have the left side of the screen cut off like in your screenshot photos. You need to install a terminal emulator and use it, that's all. I don't think you'll get far without this.

Install a terminal emulator on your PC, then reboot your atv with just the patchstick inserted and try to telnet into the atv using your terminal emulator. Let us know if you succeed or not.

- tooshna - 2010-08-13

Well i am able to telnet in from my iphone using a telnet app, so what next? Its still the same old problem.

- frumpy_uk - 2010-08-13

tooshna Wrote:Well i am able to telnet in from my iphone using a telnet app, so what next? Its still the same old problem.

What happens when you sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdb2?

- vengeance - 2010-08-13

If I wanted to install this to a brand new drive, with no ATV OS, just linux is that possible? I'm having all kinds of nightmares with installing to the original drive which is a 40GB but I have a 160GB drive that I can upgrade to. I've scanned the thread but everything I'm seeing is about copying this over to the drive that already has ATV OS on it.

- davilla - 2010-08-13

vengeance Wrote:If I wanted to install this to a brand new drive, with no ATV OS, just linux is that possible? I'm having all kinds of nightmares with installing to the original drive which is a 40GB but I have a 160GB drive that I can upgrade to. I've scanned the thread but everything I'm seeing is about copying this over to the drive that already has ATV OS on it.

Yes, but the drive MUST have the proper GPT partitions and structure or it will not boot.

- vengeance - 2010-08-13

davilla Wrote:Yes, but the drive MUST have the proper GPT partitions and structure or it will not boot.

Ok cool. I've followed this guide http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/PartitioningLinux to partition the drive and set it up, I should now just use the dd command to copy xbmc img from my usb to /dev/sda4 and then change the com.apple.boot.plist to say /dev/sda4?

- tooshna - 2010-08-13

frumpy_uk Wrote:What happens when you sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdb2?

Same as before, sudo not found. I wish someone could just create a bootloader that just copies the image over to the internal ATV hard drive and installs itself.. i have even done a factory restore of the atv but even when i plug in pins image it is still looking for sdb3. i thought on a normal system it was just a matter of plug and play...

- davilla - 2010-08-14

tooshna Wrote:Same as before, sudo not found. I wish someone could just create a bootloader that just copies the image over to the internal ATV hard drive and installs itself.. i have even done a factory restore of the atv but even when i plug in pins image it is still looking for sdb3. i thought on a normal system it was just a matter of plug and play...

"sudo not found", you really need to post the exact command you entered and the response to that command.

If you are running under penbuntu, you don't need sudo as you are running as root (remember the logging, root/root).

- tooshna - 2010-08-14

Leaving the sudo aside, i have factory restored the atv. I did this just to see if i could run sams or pins image by inserting the usb in theback, yet both still have problems. Pins image is looking for sdb3 while sams bring up the following http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs255.snc4/40112_437130557232_669162232_5563269_3678140_n.jpg

Is there a reason why these images wont work after a factory restore?

Edit: i telnet in with sams image on a usb. I type root/root to login, then i type fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdb2 and it comes up with the following...

Code:
invalid B-tree node size
volume check failed

- davilla - 2010-08-14

tooshna Wrote:Edit: i telnet in with sams image on a usb. I type root/root to login, then i type fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdb2 and it comes up with the following...

Code:
invalid B-tree node size
volume check failed

/dev/sdb2 is not a hfsplus partition.

"blkid" might tell more info.