Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- defiler - 2010-08-25

nc88keyz Wrote:On Pin's image of xbmc live for ATV, how can I resize the usb stick to accomodate my 8GB microsd card. In system info / xbmc it shows like 1.4GB Free. I just copied my library and thumbs over and I am now out of room.

Can this be done from command console or am i gonna have to do it in ubuntu or something with gparted.

It needs to be done inside Ubuntu. It's a mess. You have to take a note of your partition table (in bytes or sectors), erase it, and then recreate it. That overcomes a clash between a bug in parted and the drive size mismatch.

After that you can use parted to change the drive layout as normal. Have a look at the posts on page 88 of this thread regarding Tooshna extending his partitions. He's doing it on the internal drive in the ATV, so be careful that you're poking the correct drive.

- defiler - 2010-08-25

Raider Wrote:I finally took the plung and jumped into this atv-linux thing and i'm getting the same starting-x over and over myself...
[..]
ideas?

As Davilla says, you'll need to provide the syslog and the xorg log too. I don't see anything awry in the dmesg, personally. I'd go back to the fresh USB image, change the details for component (because I updated my XBMC and got the "starting x" again and again because I screwed it up), and leave it at 720P. I know that works for me, and that gives you an easier target to get running.

I seem to recall someone saying 1080p won't work on component - only 1080i. That might be it, but I don't remember who said it or when.

- Raider - 2010-08-25

defiler Wrote:As Davilla says, you'll need to provide the syslog and the xorg log too. I don't see anything awry in the dmesg, personally. I'd go back to the fresh USB image, change the details for component (because I updated my XBMC and got the "starting x" again and again because I screwed it up), and leave it at 720P. I know that works for me, and that gives you an easier target to get running.

I seem to recall someone saying 1080p won't work on component - only 1080i. That might be it, but I don't remember who said it or when.

how do i do the syslog and xorg?
i tried 720p originally and it still does the starting-x... when i did the component fix i must've done something right because i can see the error this time, before the screen would go black before i even got there...

- defiler - 2010-08-25

The syslog is in /var/log - don't have my ATV on so I can't check the filename in Ubuntu, but it'll be einter "syslog" or "messages". The system logs should end up in that folder, so have a look for xorg in there too.

- Raider - 2010-08-25

defiler Wrote:The syslog is in /var/log - don't have my ATV on so I can't check the filename in Ubuntu, but it'll be einter "syslog" or "messages". The system logs should end up in that folder, so have a look for xorg in there too.

I'll try to find those tonight when i get home from work...

also I have another 4gig usb stick, I'll try sam's image later tonight or tomorrow see if that has a different result...

- lixer - 2010-08-25

@davilla

My XBMC crashed the other day trying to play an avi file.

Here is crash report: Crash log

- davilla - 2010-08-25

lixer Wrote:@davilla

My XBMC crashed the other day trying to play an avi file.

Here is crash report: Crashlog

Quote:19:45:40 T:2274790288 M: 74100736 DEBUG: DoWork - trying to extract thumb from video file ftp://xbox:desixbox@soorma:21/movies/punjabi/Songs/Truskool - Hai Meri Maa.avi
19:45:40 T:2274790288 M: 74100736 DEBUG: FileCurl::Open(0xaaa2e668) ftp://xbox:desixbox@soorma:21/movies/punjabi/Songs/Truskool%20%2d%20Hai%20Meri%20Maa%2eavi

Looks like a crash trying to extract a Thumb from Truskool - Hai Meri Maa.avi. There's no backtrace to show where it crashed in the code. It this repeatable ?

- lixer - 2010-08-25

davilla Wrote:Looks like a crash trying to extract a Thumb from Truskool - Hai Meri Maa.avi. There's no backtrace to show where it crashed in the code. It this repeatable ?

No It doesn't crash anymore!

Just a few minutes of hand holding. - nc88keyz - 2010-08-25

Davilla,

I am using Pins image and finally got xbmc to update to svn.

I would like to achieve just a few things.

1.expand the usb image to an 8GB microsd, Im out of room with my library and thumbs on the stock image, Can this be done from the ATV or do i have to have ubuntu install somewhere and used g-parted or parted or something. If so some guidance would be great here, Hopefully I wont break it

2. Check to see what version of crystalhd i am using. There is still quite a bit of lag starting up the video file. Arent there some linux commnds to do this with. Right now i just see basic info. I want to make sure i dont have a mismatch on firmware, driver etc.

3. I think you mentioned something about changing the swap file to 1GB is some other threads. Since the ATV has 256MB i think this is a wise choice as well.

4. I guess my final wishlist item would be how to remove the underclock on the cpu and get it back up to 1Ghz vs 600 and throttling. It seems a lot has to happen to jumpstart playback although gui is responsive etc.

I just know enough to be dangerous i suppose. Everytime i learn something i make a cheatsheat how to repeat it. Its been 2 years probably since i messed around with xbmc-live.

- davilla - 2010-08-25

nc88keyz Wrote:Davilla,

I am using Pins image and finally got xbmc to update to svn.

I would like to achieve just a few things.

1.expand the usb image to an 8GB microsd, Im out of room with my library and thumbs on the stock image, Can this be done from the ATV or do i have to have ubuntu install somewhere and used g-parted or parted or something. If so some guidance would be great here, Hopefully I wont break it

2. Check to see what version of crystalhd i am using. There is still quite a bit of lag starting up the video file. Arent there some linux commnds to do this with. Right now i just see basic info. I want to make sure i dont have a mismatch on firmware, driver etc.

3. I think you mentioned something about changing the swap file to 1GB is some other threads. Since the ATV has 256MB i think this is a wise choice as well.

4. I guess my final wishlist item would be how to remove the underclock on the cpu and get it back up to 1Ghz vs 600 and throttling. It seems a lot has to happen to jumpstart playback although gui is responsive etc.

I just know enough to be dangerous i suppose. Everytime i learn something i make a cheatsheat how to repeat it. Its been 2 years probably since i messed around with xbmc-live.

1) that's already been covered in some thread, search. It's what I would have to do to find it Smile

2) dmesg, xbmc.log will have some info.

3) look into adding a file based swapfile. Then you don't have to mess with partitioning.

4) I pin mine at 1GHz, no CPU idling for me. That's also been covered in some thread, don't remember the details cputhrottle or something like that.

- lixer - 2010-08-25

lixer Wrote:No It doesn't crash anymore!

There are are quite a few badly encoded files in that directory that XBMC struggles to play.

Here is the MediaInfo from one the files. Also here is the xbmc log

Both VLC and WMP 11 exhibit the same behavior when trying to play the file.

- davilla - 2010-08-25

lixer Wrote:There are are quite a few badly encoded files in that directory that XBMC struggles to play.

Here is the MediaInfo from one the files. Also here is the xbmc log

Both VLC and WMP 11 exhibit the same behavior when trying to play the file.

Sounds like typical avi's. I do see signs of pulseaudio, kill it. causes nothing but problems for me. "pulseaudio -k" or search for how to totally remove it.

- lixer - 2010-08-25

davilla Wrote:Sounds like typical avi's. I do see signs of pulseaudio, kill it. causes nothing but problems for me. "pulseaudio -k" or search for how to totally remove it.

hmmm.....

I don't have pulseaudio installed:

xbmc@AppleTV:~$ sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package pulseaudio is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 18 not upgraded.

As you said, I do see signs of pulseaudio in the logs:

xbmc@AppleTV:~$ grep -i pulseaudio .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
14:00:47 T:3043395424 M:103145472 DEBUG: PulseAudio: Context failed
14:00:47 T:3043395424 M:103133184 ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the Context but it failed
14:00:47 T:3043395424 M:103133184 ERROR: PulseAudio: Failed to create context
14:00:47 T:3043395424 M:103120896 DEBUG: PulseAudio: Context failed
14:00:47 T:3043395424 M:103120896 ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the Context but it failed
14:00:47 T:3043395424 M:103120896 ERROR: PulseAudio: Failed to create context

I guess the PPA builds come precompiled with pulseaudio

------------------------
XBMC Configuration:
------------------------
Debugging: No
Profiling: No
Optimization: Yes
OpenGL: Yes
VDPAU: Yes
Joystick: Yes
XRandR: Yes
GOOM: Yes
PCRE Support: Yes
MID Support: No
ccache: No
PulseAudio: Yes
FAAC: No
DVDCSS: Yes
Avahi: Yes
Non-free: Yes
External Libraries: No
External FFmpeg: No
External liba52: No
External libdts: No
External libmpeg2: No
External libass: No
External libogg: No
External libwavpack: No
External Python: No
prefix: /usr

- newsilentsilver - 2010-08-25

defiler Wrote:It needs to be done inside Ubuntu. It's a mess. You have to take a note of your partition table (in bytes or sectors), erase it, and then recreate it. That overcomes a clash between a bug in parted and the drive size mismatch.

I want to update the partition of my 8GB SDHC card, too. I'm not so firm with linux, so what exactly must I do before expanding the partition with departed? Oo

- defiler - 2010-08-26

I'll skim over this quickly because I'm sure I've covered it elsewhere on this thread, and I need to get to work.

1) Use parted to list the size of the partitions on the USB drive (in sectors or bytes). Write them down.
2) Use dd to overwrite the partition table. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=512 count=3 (replace sdx with the device for your USB drive).
3) Use parted to create a new GPT disk label and then add the partitions in at exactly the same size as before. Marvel at the free, unallocated space that wasn't there before.

That gets you past the parted bug so you can use it to modify your partitions however you want.