Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- davilla - 2010-08-31

xpo_dk Wrote:I know I might be stupid - but how do I get the IMG onto the USB stick using MAC?

I've tried disktools - but it comes up with an error...

And I guess it's so "simple" that I should have figured it out Sad

dd using the terminal.app like everyone else does.

- Raider - 2010-08-31

xpo_dk Wrote:I know I might be stupid - but how do I get the IMG onto the USB stick using MAC?

plug in your usb drive
open up disk utility
right click on the drive on the left pane (the drive, not the name) and choose "Information"
look for the Disk Identifier, should say something like "disk1" or "disk2" etc etc, remember that name
quit disk utility

open up terminal
type in: sudo dd if=
drag the disk image into the terminal window and it'll fill in the location and name
then type in: of=
then type in the disk identifer of the usb stick you plugged in, so it ends up looking like of=disk1
then type in: bs=4096

when you're done, the complete command in terminal should look something like this:
sudo dd if=xbmc-r28256-crystalHD-1.0.3-alsa-1.019-nvidia100.14.19-hardy-cust_machkernel-2.6.24.27.img of=disk1 bs=4096

press return and if it worked, come back in 45 minutes, let it do it's thing, if it didn't, it'll throw up an error instantly... it'll probably ask for your computer password as well, just an fyi

- xpo_dk - 2010-08-31

Hi Raider,

Thanks for your help - I got it ... i think Smile

- defiler - 2010-08-31

newsilentsilver Wrote:Thank you - but doesn't give it an easier way? Under Windows eg.? Oo

There's no easier way. The problem is that the drive is not the size the partition table says it is. Windows will happily gloss over that and screw everything up. Really you're doing things with the drive that they're not supposed to do. It only takes 5 minutes to do it this way, it can all be done on the ATV via an SSH session, and is pretty straightforward. You just have to make sure you record the sizes of the partitions accurately.

Anyway, if you screw it up, just reimage the flash drive and try again.

- funkdr_1999 - 2010-09-01

m_lopez_h Wrote:I ran into the same problem last night and am going to re-image the drive and start from scratch. Were you able to find out what caused the "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds" error?

Hi, I finally was able to get everything to work after a lot of trial and error since I've never worked with linux or ATV. I started with a newly formatted hard drive with nothing on it and finally got it to boot with the latest XBMC and CrystalHD driver. Feel free to message me and I can walk you through.

beta channel? - anton_kg - 2010-09-01

Guys,

I'm using crystalhd svn r144 and xbmc svn33004 (via ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu hardy main) and everything just works ™. Sam.Nazarko, davilla and other developers, thank you very much! I've been waiting 1 year for that moment.Big Grin

Now, I want to slow down with bleeding age versions and switch to more stable channels.
crystalhd-for-osx-3.6.0 and XBMC Darma beta 1 looks like best candidates.
Which repository should I choose so I could just run "apt-get update" in future?

Thanks!

- zenox - 2010-09-02

I'm trying to update my xbmc using instructions on a link I found:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=577311&postcount=738

But the packages do not seem to exist anymore. Is there a newer package I should be using?

- tooshna - 2010-09-03

I'm just wondering if video runs smoother on Dharma than the version included in the original download link for the image. I ask this because I have noticed that video does still skip here and there, and it is a straight dvd rip. I want to update to dharma, and i know instructions have been posted here, but every time i try to ssh in and type the commands it just seems to hang. I'm really hanging out for the full dharma release and for sam to update his image to include dharma.

how to get navigation sounds working w/ Crystalbuntu - vajonam - 2010-09-04

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:sorry I said it poorly. I meant xbmc sounds don't play, but videos do. Sorry if you thought I was saying that sound from vids doesn't play. The sound thing is a bug - probably fixed in 10.05.

Well I am trying Dharma Beta 1, I was not able to get any Navigation sounds, but with a modified I am able to hear nav sounds and all movie stuff. My HDMI goes right to the TV, which doesn't support any passthru stuff like DTS so I have disabled those

Code:
~/.asoundrc

pcm.!default {

type plug
slave {
pcm "plughw:0,3"
}
}

Once you have this modified, you can test the speakers with

Code:
xbmc@AppleTV:~$ speaker-test -c2

speaker-test 1.0.15

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 8192
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 5.636879
0 - Front Left

I am able get the whole thing working! Great Job Sam and davilla! Waiting for my BCM970015 to get here to try out HD!

- vajonam - 2010-09-04

tooshna Wrote:I'm just wondering if video runs smoother on Dharma than the version included in the original download link for the image. I ask this because I have noticed that video does still skip here and there, and it is a straight dvd rip. I want to update to dharma, and i know instructions have been posted here, but every time i try to ssh in and type the commands it just seems to hang. I'm really hanging out for the full dharma release and for sam to update his image to include dharma.

If you are running from just a USB stick, make sure you turn logging down a notch, because a lots of logs get written can cause the stutter (i have found this).

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsettings.xml#.3Cloglevel.3E

Drop in price - menno - 2010-09-07

Apple tv
dropped heavily in price now that a new version is about to be released.
I already got a nice xbmc system running but with fans.
This will be a fanless small nice setup.

Can I install the latest darma easely through a live-disk
and install it on a harddrive.
Or even better pull my hd out of my current system and put it in the appletv (it already runs latest linux & xbmc)

I noticed there is a usb stick needed to hack in to apple tv OS, but lets say i get to that step, and I would be free to install "a" linux install.. would the latest beta disc be an easy install?

- davilla - 2010-09-07

menno Wrote:Apple tv
dropped heavily in price now that a new version is about to be released.
I already got a nice xbmc system running but with fans.
This will be a fanless small nice setup.

Can I install the latest darma easely through a live-disk
and install it on a harddrive.
Or even better pull my hd out of my current system and put it in the appletv (it already runs latest linux & xbmc)

I noticed there is a usb stick needed to hack in to apple tv OS, but lets say i get to that step, and I would be free to install "a" linux install.. would the latest beta disc be an easy install?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO_install_a_Miminal_Ubuntu_and_XBMC_with_sound_over_HDMI_on_the_AppleTV

- GuySie - 2010-09-07

First off: Thanks to everyone who'se worked on this! I'd been getting more and more frustrated with my aTV, even considering switching away from the XBMC platform and get an all-in-one device. Creating the USB stick, updating XBMC and CrystalHD, it's all gone incredibly smooth and the result is amazing.

I am a bit confused as to where to ask our bug questions for this release though. Do they go here? Or in the Linux subforum? Or only here if they pertain to aTV hardware issues, Linux subforum if it's for (what appear to be) software issues?

I am getting some strange behaviour around the library - it's become a very heavy function for XBMC. Fanart view is much, much slower than aTV OS (I thought this especially would become faster due to more free memory). Scraping my old library also took far longer than it did on aTV OS, while the scraped info is incomplete, it often misses the thumbnail. Manually changing the thumb (or doing anything else like editing a title) often freezes up the interface for a while, sometimes hanging the whole system. Might this be related to running from a USB stick with its slow transfer times versus the internal HD?

- bleze - 2010-09-07

Wiki: "XBMC works fine under the AppleTV OS, but there are a few pro's for having Linux and some might just prefer it."

What might these pro's be?

- Starstream - 2010-09-07

bleze Wrote:Wiki: "XBMC works fine under the AppleTV OS, but there are a few pro's for having Linux and some might just prefer it."

What might these pro's be?

See first post of this thread.