Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- xeonicxpression - 2010-09-20

OK, so new problem. Now when I try to play a movie, the screen goes black, I see it switch to 1080p 24 and stays black and I can't even ssh into the box. If I wait long enough it comes back to life though. When I say long enough I mean minutes. It's currently in limbo land right now, so once it comes back to life I'll clear the log and start a new debug log. I never had any issues with component video...

- xeonicxpression - 2010-09-20

Here's the output of dmesg http://pastebin.com/bKr2SP1r
Here's xbmc.log http://pastebin.com/UeHMBUgd

One more dmesg http://pastebin.com/9gx4qGGp
When this happens I see the screen go scrambled and then go black. Is my crystalhd card going bad?

- il_ferra - 2010-09-21

can someone help me explaining how do i change xbmc version with one compiled by me?
I'm used to compile it for linux and mac too but never had to compile a standalone version.
Do i need some additiona steps?
I want to use a pvr-testing2 branch ...

- xeonicxpression - 2010-09-21

Ack...well now they are starting to play better but now I only get black and white images. Can anyone offer some help? I updated to the latest xbmc earlier today and updated my crystalhd driver also. I even dropped the crystalhd driver back a few revisions to see if that would help. I think I'll load a fresh image onto the drive again and start from scratch.

- sulfie - 2010-09-21

xeonicxpression Wrote:Ack...well now they are starting to play better but now I only get black and white images. Can anyone offer some help? I updated to the latest xbmc earlier today and updated my crystalhd driver also. I even dropped the crystalhd driver back a few revisions to see if that would help. I think I'll load a fresh image onto the drive again and start from scratch.

settings; video playback; render method; basic shaders (ARB)

- xeonicxpression - 2010-09-21

Well there was a whole day of my life wasted, lol. For some reason adjust tv refresh rate was selected and messing everything up. Once I turned that off all is well.

How to install the image to the hard drive - dnguyen77 - 2010-09-22

Hi All,

First of all, I have to admit that I don't know much about linux, and I would like to get the following done.

1 Restore the image to a spare external hard drive that I have laying around using sudo dd command

2 Replace the apple TV with this new hard drive

This way I don't have to back up my orginal Apple TV hard drive, and I don't really need to use ATV OS for the moment.

My question is do I have to do anything else beside open up ATV and replacing the ATV hard drive with my new hard drive with the linux image?

Do I have to modify the boot file if yes where is it locate?

Thanks,
Alan

- evandena - 2010-09-22

evandena Wrote:I've rebuilt my ATV multiple times, but I am still having issues with buffering on an HD files. I am running pin's image from the internal hard drive.

This file plays perfect streamed to my desktop. Both using the same server running SAMBA.

Here is the HD file:
ViDEO CODEC..........: x264_L4.1 @ 4681 Kbps
RESOLUTiON...........: 1280 x 536
FRAMERATE............: 23.976 fps
AUDiO CODEC..........: English Dolby Digital 5.1 @ 640 Kbps

It buffers every couple of seconds, and the fps is poor. SD seems to play fine, but it takes a while to load.

dmesg
xbmc.log

On a previous attempt, I did a full ubuntu upgrade/update and things seemed to play fine after that, but after a few reboots everything broke. I guess there was a new kernel or something.... not going to try that again.
It also takes a long time to start a video, which leads me to believe there may be a networking problem on the ATV. Any ideas where to start looking?

- davilla - 2010-09-22

evandena Wrote:It also takes a long time to start a video, which leads me to believe there may be a networking problem on the ATV. Any ideas where to start looking?

ifconfig

- jelleeelco - 2010-09-22

Now I've been reading this thread from start to finish, got most of it up-and-running thanks to the great tutorials / advice on this platform...thanks to all.

BUT..(there is always a 'but' after a compliment Smile ) I can't get one thing sorted out. Updating ATVClient so that I can use my harmony one...

I think I would be helped a lot if someone could confirm WERE on PIN87s image the ATVClient is installed. I tried to follow the instructions of installing ATVclient under ubuntu, I think it all worked but then FTP into the ATV didn't allow me to create atvclient.xml (in order to options=-m ).

Thanks in advance,
Jelle

- sulfie - 2010-09-23

jelleeelco Wrote:Now I've been reading this thread from start to finish, got most of it up-and-running thanks to the great tutorials / advice on this platform...thanks to all.

BUT..(there is always a 'but' after a compliment Smile ) I can't get one thing sorted out. Updating ATVClient so that I can use my harmony one...

I think I would be helped a lot if someone could confirm WERE on PIN87s image the ATVClient is installed. I tried to follow the instructions of installing ATVclient under ubuntu, I think it all worked but then FTP into the ATV didn't allow me to create atvclient.xml (in order to options=-m ).

Thanks in advance,
Jelle

Not really sure what you're looking for, but I have my harmony 880 working perfectly on PIN87s image. The atvclient is already installed and instructions on how to do so are on here. You just need to replace the atvclient.cpp file in the src directory with the moded file here. Hope that helps.

- avar - 2010-09-23

i have this up and running except for one thing. I cant get truehd dts-ma to work. Even when i transcode it to flac or lpcm the same thing occurs. It cuts all of the speakers out except for the Front Left and Front Right speakers (ie. the rear speakers and center speakers are all dead).

ac3 and dts passthru work just fine, but if i tell xbmc my receiver doesnt transcode dts and ac3 it has the same behavior (ie it only passes Front Left and Front Right speakers)

I understand that there are some driver limitations and what not, so my question is: is this normal for crystalbuntu?

- defiler - 2010-09-23

evandena Wrote:It also takes a long time to start a video, which leads me to believe there may be a networking problem on the ATV. Any ideas where to start looking?

Presumably you're using wired ethernet end-to-end? If you're using a wireless bridge at any stage I'd expect it to choke.

- defiler - 2010-09-23

Got to ressurect an old problem here. It worked great on the original image (28256?), but since then it's never worked properly. My old post on it is way back here.

Basically, VC1 videos have the aq% drop to zero, and a/v numbers are way out of whack. When the playback starts, the sound comes through fine for about 20/30 secs, but the video is a bit jerky. The aq% drops to zero during this time, and then I get about 4fps on the video.

I've chucked the mediainfo up on pastebin here.

I've ignored it for the past 6 weeks or so because we were running through SVNs, but I'm on Dharma beta 2 and CrystalHD R157 so it looks like it'll still be a problem for the release.

Yes, I know VC1 is aiming high, but it's a low bitrate movie for VC1. I've transcoded some of my videos to AVC with HandBrake, but doing subtitles is a pig. No, I don't need subtitles with 2001, but being low(ish) bitrate it should be the easiest to get running. (After all, it ran on Pin's original image.)

So, I'm sitting here, smashed up after crashing my motorbike, and wanting to watch some of my movies - if someone can get me going, that'd be excellent because I'm sick of daytime TV! If it'd help to get a 2-minute clip of the video for testing, let me know and I'll chop out a section later today.

Installed BCM970015 - fauxfive55 - 2010-09-23

Howdy folks. The creation of this image has inspired me to break out my long unused aTV and purchase a broadcom card for it.

The problem I'm having is that after booting the image off my usb stick, the OS doesn't seem to recognize the broadcom card I installed.

I purchased a BCM970015 from Logic Supply. I thought this was a compatible version, is that correct?

From what I've read, the image is plug and play and should work right out of the box.

Anything I'm missing something to get this functioning correctly? Do I need a different card?

Thanks in advance!