Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- davilla - 2010-09-26

xeonicxpression Wrote:Im glad my post helped you. :-) I still have some issues with 1080 content not wanting to play smoothly. If I fight with it FF and then RW and pausing and unpausing I can usually get it to work. I think I read that 1080p is still a bit of a stretch in Linux too so no big deal. I wish someone would hack the new appletv and get xbmc running on it. I don't think there are any devs as of right now interested in porting to ios even though. Undecided If the new atv could push 1080p with no problem that would be my dream platform!

Forget about the new AppleTV for now, no one has one, they are not shipping yet and it's going to be several months before we will get to a state to determine anything.

xbmc.log for your other issue.

- frumpy_uk - 2010-09-26

grey Wrote:hey guys,

didn't anyone of you experienced a kinda "grey out" image when using linux on aTV?

don't know how to explain... say the colours are not saturated enough or something...

I've experienced a strange issue since day 1 on linux on the atv (pin87a on internal disk), the brightness fluctuates seemingly randomly in the gui. Fine while playing movies, so never bothered reporting it. Is that similar to your issue?

- grey - 2010-09-26

yes, i guess we'are talking about the same thing

- resai - 2010-09-27

Hi everyone , I've read all 111 pages but didn't find an answer , how can I use my usb hdd with my usb stick together? I tried usb hub. Any ideas? Thanks..

- JDizzy - 2010-09-27

@ resai -Hi everyone , I've read all 111 pages but didn't find an answer , how can I use my usb hdd with my usb stick together? I tried usb hub. Any ideas? Thanks..

Funny, I just tried this several days ago.

Upon boot, it got hung with both stick and HDD plugged into hub.
I unplugged HDD and rebooted with only stick plugged into hub.

Once up and running, I then plugged in the HDD.
A message popped-up saying it was mounting the drive, and then
after a few minutes, it appeared in my XBMC sources and I was able to
access it.

I've had a few crashes (possibly not related) and XBMC reboots without having
to unplug the HDD. I haven't tried unplugging ATV and rebooting but I suspect
I will have to go through the process again.

- resai - 2010-09-27

thank you so much , I'll try it , is your usb hub powered? And your hdd formatted as ntfs? thanks again..

- JDizzy - 2010-09-27

resai Wrote:thank you so much , I'll try it , is your usb hub powered? And your hdd formatted as ntfs? thanks again..

USB hub not powered, the drive... don't know...was using it on PC.

I am using the HDD for TV shows only. Everything else is on another networked drive. I experience the crashes when jumping around the TV shows. Like the HDD can't keep up. After the crash, I can go to the same show and now see it.

Wish I knew more, or how to use USB hub like this correctly, or if it just is not possible.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-09-27

Odds are the crashes is because it's generating thumbnails. Go to Settings > Video > is "Extract Video Information" on? What is happening is you are browsing a directory and it is taking a lot of IO to generate video tag data and screenshots. It doesn't seem that stable so I disable it for aTV, letting other clients scan the library and fill this out.

- davilla - 2010-09-27

JDizzy Wrote:@ resai -Hi everyone , I've read all 111 pages but didn't find an answer , how can I use my usb hdd with my usb stick together? I tried usb hub. Any ideas? Thanks..

Funny, I just tried this several days ago.

Upon boot, it got hung with both stick and HDD plugged into hub.
I unplugged HDD and rebooted with only stick plugged into hub.

Once up and running, I then plugged in the HDD.
A message popped-up saying it was mounting the drive, and then
after a few minutes, it appeared in my XBMC sources and I was able to
access it.

I've had a few crashes (possibly not related) and XBMC reboots without having
to unplug the HDD. I haven't tried unplugging ATV and rebooting but I suspect
I will have to go through the process again.

if both drives have valid recovery partitions, how does AppleTV EFI firmware know which one to boot from ?

- devastator - 2010-09-27

Finally got around to testing this out. Pretty impressive and thank you for the work and sharing.

My test setup is a powered USB hub with a drobo box connected.
Initial boot up is fine but a reboot will cause it not to boot because the Drobo box powers up faster and causes a conflict I guess.
Is there a way around this? I thought I read something about clicking the Menu and - or + to select the boot drive? Now that I think about it shouldn't be much of an issue since there really isn't a reason for rebooting much.
One other question, what is the trick to get other skins such as Shade and or plugins to work such as Navi X. What and where do you exactly have to copy them to in the home, XBMC directory.
Other than that I am sold on the Linux setup. Those are the only other two things that I run on the ATV OS version.

EDIT: Well I see Davilla answered the first question already above..cool makes sense.
EDIT2: Went over to the Linux boards to figure out the other issue. I thought you just copied things over to home/xbmc and that is where I was having the issue. .XBMC folder which is hidden then all was good.
Enjoying the much smoother Linux version.

- JDizzy - 2010-09-27

davilla Wrote:if both drives have valid recovery partitions, how does AppleTV EFI firmware know which one to boot from ?

??
Probably why I must unplug the HDD if I repower the ATV.
I think Sam said that the new image will have the option of putting it on the
ATV drive. If so, that's the way I'm going!

upgrade help - thnmnt - 2010-09-27

I've searched. I've read.

I've got pin87a's image on a usb stick (working) and would like to upgrade the crystalhd drivers and SVN. to something more current.

I'm also armed with the Linux knowledge of a small rodent, but I can navigate simple mazes if there's cheese at the end.

I've got PuTTy and WinSCP and I am not retarded.

Is there a simple (type this you moron) step-by-step guide that can help someone like myself upgrade from 28256 / r26?

Where's the shiny 'update now' button?

- JDizzy - 2010-09-27

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Odds are the crashes is because it's generating thumbnails. Go to Settings > Video > is "Extract Video Information" on? What is happening is you are browsing a directory and it is taking a lot of IO to generate video tag data and screenshots. It doesn't seem that stable so I disable it for aTV, letting other clients scan the library and fill this out.

Seems to have fixed the crashing problem.
Thanks!

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-09-27

JDizzy Wrote:??
Probably why I must unplug the HDD if I repower the ATV.
I think Sam said that the new image will have the option of putting it on the
ATV drive. If so, that's the way I'm going!

Davilla is right. Think about it, if you put in a USB, then there are two mass storage devices that aTV can boot from, but it will default to USB, so you have to remove the USB to boot HDD, unless you bootstrapped with custom scripts

thnmnt Wrote:I've searched. I've read.

I've got pin87a's image on a usb stick (working) and would like to upgrade the crystalhd drivers and SVN. to something more current.

I'm also armed with the Linux knowledge of a small rodent, but I can navigate simple mazes if there's cheese at the end.

I've got PuTTy and WinSCP and I am not retarded.

Is there a simple (type this you moron) step-by-step guide that can help someone like myself upgrade from 28256 / r26?

Where's the shiny 'update now' button?

Self-updating is coming soon, just check out latest Crystal drivers and latest XBMC from ppa it's been mentioned several times

JDizzy Wrote:Seems to have fixed the crashing problem.
Thanks!

Good to hear - I mentioned this first page:
Code:
I have disabled video thumbnail generation and file information extraction.
This is because the subversion build included has issues with this feature.

Having this setting enabled will cause performance issues.

- Raider - 2010-09-27

thnmnt Wrote:I've searched. I've read.

doesn't get much easier than this
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=571919&postcount=668