Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- xeonicxpression - 2010-10-02

bunglebb Wrote:Ok, I downloaded crystalhd-for-osx-3.6.0.zip from the first link. How can I update the drivers on the USB drive I'm booting from?

I'm still trying to sort out how to install to the AppleTV itself..

Just follow this. The first part is to upgrade xbmc, if you want and the second part is for upgrading to the latest crystalhd.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=571919&postcount=668

- davilla - 2010-10-02

bunglebb Wrote:Ok, I downloaded crystalhd-for-osx-3.6.0.zip from the first link. How can I update the drivers on the USB drive I'm booting from?

I'm still trying to sort out how to install to the AppleTV itself..

This being the thread about Linux, that zip file will do you no good, it's for OSX. With OSX we can build a common driver/lib and distribute. With Linux, you must build from source.

- Tsf42m - 2010-10-03

Thanks for all the hard work thats been put into this im just getting back into things and im very impressed by the progress of xbmc.

Lol i did my best to search this massive thread and found a few similar problems but ive had no luck yet.

Im using hdmi for audio and video with a Crystal HD installed.

I started with pin87a r3 build everything booted up fine but got no audio in the menu played around with settings but didn't get anything to work. Audio works fine when playing media. The second part of the problem comes when i try to play video everything runs smooth but when u stop the video it freezes and goes to a black screen. If i unplug to hdmi cable it unfreezes and when i plug it back in its working fine.

I updated xbmc and crystal drivers... better performance Smile but still had the same issues was debating trying to updated the "ALSA" hdmi audio drivers but figured i would post first seeing as there haven't been to many complaints about it.

- davilla - 2010-10-03

Tsf42m Wrote:Thanks for all the hard work thats been put into this im just getting back into things and im very impressed by the progress of xbmc.

Lol i did my best to search this massive thread and found a few similar problems but ive had no luck yet.

Im using hdmi for audio and video with a Crystal HD installed.

I started with pin87a r3 build everything booted up fine but got no audio in the menu played around with settings but didn't get anything to work. Audio works fine when playing media. The second part of the problem comes when i try to play video everything runs smooth but when u stop the video it freezes and goes to a black screen. If i unplug to hdmi cable it unfreezes and when i plug it back in its working fine.

I updated xbmc and crystal drivers... better performance Smile but still had the same issues was debating trying to updated the "ALSA" hdmi audio drivers but figured i would post first seeing as there haven't been to many complaints about it.

GUI sounds are disabled when using passthough.

FOr the rest, the standard drill is xbmc.log and dmesg to a pastebin site.

- nielsvlaarhoven - 2010-10-03

hello davilla, i have read a bit in the forum here and i assume that you are the expert on atv's running linux ubuntu with xbmc and a crystal hd card.
I was trying to get my crystal hd card to work, but now the atv keeps using the geforce card instead of the crystal hd card.
The atv does see the crystal hd card in the video menu, so the drivers and stuff are installed properly i guess.

"what am i doing wrong"

thanks in advance.

- xeonicxpression - 2010-10-03

nielsvlaarhoven Wrote:hello davilla, i have read a bit in the forum here and i assume that you are the expert on atv's running linux ubuntu with xbmc and a crystal hd card.
I was trying to get my crystal hd card to work, but now the atv keeps using the geforce card instead of the crystal hd card.
The atv does see the crystal hd card in the video menu, so the drivers and stuff are installed properly i guess.

"what am i doing wrong"

thanks in advance.

He will want to see a xbmc.log debug log and dmesg output.

- davilla - 2010-10-03

atv will always use the geforce card, crystalhd is not a video card, it's a video decoder.

- Jimmer - 2010-10-04

davilla Wrote:Sorry, I don't worry about usplash, I like to see the kernel boot Smile

To understand usplash you have to understand that the AppleTV does not have a BIOS so BIOS calls to VBIOS will not work. There is a VBIOS but that's another issue. The nvidia driver knows how to find and talk to VBIOS and that's why display size changes work once the nvidia driver is loaded in X11.

For usplash, make the size of the spash images the same as what the AppleTV boots as, under frontrow. VesaFB is just getting passed this size as a display param. If the usplash images are a different size, usplash tries to change the display setting and fails so you don't get anything shown.

EDIT: I have a user submitted patch for atv-bootloader that includes grub2 support, now I need to find the time to add/test and roll out a new version of atv-bootloader.

If one were to worry about usplash, what resolution would you need to pass? my /etc/usplash.conf is set to 1280x720 which is 720p right? I'm just testing it with the default Ubuntu usplash theme as of right now...

Anyway, I've got me a splash screen on shutdown, but not on start up! If I pass 1280x720 then it's the right size and centred, but black and white. If I pass a resolution of 800x640, then it's colour but obviously off centre.... I would love to hear your insight into why this doesn't work on boot! I presume it's just that I'm passing the wrong resolution in usplash.conf? Do I need to pass any arguments in the com.apple.Boot.plist - or just in my /boot/grub/menu.lst? I've tried many different combos, but my random try this, try that approach has not yielded any significant results! Google basically brings up your post in this thread - everything else seems not to apply... so I hope you can help!

Thanks in advance!

Jim

- nielsvlaarhoven - 2010-10-04

Hello davilla,

I know what you mean.
But for some reason i can't get my broadcom crystal hd bcm70015 to work properly.
Tonight i am going to try it with pin's usb patchstick.
I have already downloaded it but i didnt create a patchstick yet.
I'll keep you informed and might need your help getting it working.

- davilla - 2010-10-04

Jimmer Wrote:If one were to worry about usplash, what resolution would you need to pass? my /etc/usplash.conf is set to 1280x720 which is 720p right? I'm just testing it with the default Ubuntu usplash theme as of right now...

Anyway, I've got me a splash screen on shutdown, but not on start up! If I pass 1280x720 then it's the right size and centred, but black and white. If I pass a resolution of 800x640, then it's colour but obviously off centre.... I would love to hear your insight into why this doesn't work on boot! I presume it's just that I'm passing the wrong resolution in usplash.conf? Do I need to pass any arguments in the com.apple.Boot.plist - or just in my /boot/grub/menu.lst? I've tried many different combos, but my random try this, try that approach has not yielded any significant results! Google basically brings up your post in this thread - everything else seems not to apply... so I hope you can help!

Thanks in advance!

Jim

It's not enough to set /etc/usplash.conf, you need to make the splash image 1270x720 too.

- Jimmer - 2010-10-04

davilla Wrote:It's not enough to set /etc/usplash.conf, you need to make the splash image 1270x720 too.

Doh! I thought the ubuntu set would contain a 1280x720 one and the usplash.conf would make the system select it.... I'm off to tinker some more, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Jim

PS do I need to specify "quiet splash" in both com.apple.boot.plist and /boot/grub/menu.lst? or just in menu.lst?

Thanks again!

- davilla - 2010-10-04

Jimmer Wrote:Doh! I thought the ubuntu set would contain a 1280x720 one and the usplash.conf would make the system select it.... I'm off to tinker some more, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Jim

PS do I need to specify "quiet splash" in both com.apple.boot.plist and /boot/grub/menu.lst? or just in menu.lst?

Thanks again!

only in menu.lst.

- ijsklont - 2010-10-04

Ive been reading this topic for a while but still cant find a way to install the Crystalbuntu on the internal harddrive,

Can anyone enplane me how to install the Crystalbuntu on the internal harddrive or forward me to a guide for this?

- Philmatic - 2010-10-05

ijsklont Wrote:Ive been reading this topic for a while but still cant find a way to install the Crystalbuntu on the internal harddrive,

Can anyone enplane me how to install the Crystalbuntu on the internal harddrive or forward me to a guide for this?

This is getting old, it's been posted no less than 10 separate times in this thread. Please search or do some reading...

- thnmnt - 2010-10-05

Philmatic Wrote:This is getting old, it's been posted no less than 10 separate times in this thread. Please search or do some reading...

sometimes when things get old...mods make stickies!! this thread is getting a bit ungainly.