Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- thnmnt - 2010-10-13

wasn't there talk of a script being created that would copy the contents of the usb stick to the internal drive and do all the partitioning etc? cause all the 'guides' seem to think I'm smarter than I am! I don't really even care about dual booting or saving the atvOS. just blow it away and give me XBMC! (without bricking my unit) Smile

- duc999s - 2010-10-13

Just wanted to make sure I was on the same page as everyone else.

Running SVN 33778 and CrystalHD r170. Every now and then the video gets choppy and then XBMC has to buffer. I can't get this to happen consistently, it just happens while watching any type of file, SD and HD.

Network is completely hardwired and I am using a NFS share on XBMC, so bandwidth isn't a problem. I assumed it was just the fact that the AppleTV is low powered even with Linux and CrystalHD, but I am not really seeing other people comment on this.

Also I have Linux on a Corsair high speed USB stick, so I don't think that is the issue either.

Just curious if I should look into this problem more or if this is pretty much how it is right now.

Thanks.

- DrPepper - 2010-10-13

apt-get install xbmc brings it up now to V.34731

Cheers

- frumpy_uk - 2010-10-13

DrPepper Wrote:apt-get install xbmc brings it up now to V.34731

Cheers

Cool. If you look here you should see the revision number and publish date of the latest SVN to be available in the PPA (i.e. that you'll get if you apt-get)

https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+archive/ppa/+packages?field.name_filter=xbmc&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=hardy

As long as the Build Status doesn't show a x or i386 we're good.

hope this helps other impatient people like myself...

- duc999s - 2010-10-13

Thanks for the tips all. Updating now.

- kkillebrew - 2010-10-14

This post is kind of old... don't know if you ever got an answer but what you need to do is change the xorg.conf device line "TVStandard" "HD1080p" to "TVStandard" "HD1080i" because the ATV will only do 1080i output. Some TV's and AVR's will de-interlace and give you a 1080p screen, but that is done outside of the ATV. My current ATV rev levels are XBMC 10.0-BETA2 R33778 and crystalhd build r166. Component out at 1080i makes my xbmc menus jiggle just a bit, the the 1080 video playback is flawless - no jumps, skips, crashes, etc. and 1080p movies play great as well..

Raider Wrote:I finally took the plung and jumped into this atv-linux thing and i'm getting the same starting-x over and over myself...

i started off with a basic pin image, plugged it in, got to a certain point and the image would disappear... sshed onto the atv-linux and updated the xorg.conf file since i use component video and rebooted...

now the i can see what's happening as more stuff loads, but i get to the point where it says "Apple TV login: starting-x" and then i get starting-x over and over and over but nothing happens...

ietried updating to the newest svn/chd to see if that would fix the problem (using the scripts on page 67), but nope, still starting-x repeated...

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/YSEbfja7

xorg.conf

ideas?

- Raider - 2010-10-14

kkillebrew Wrote:This post is kind of old...

yeah i fixed it a while ago, just re-loaded the usb stick exactly the same way i did before and it worked right off the bat...

Drop frames - titous - 2010-10-14

Hello,
I´m using pin´s87 image and the last XBMC Dharma Beta3, and in some movies and tv shows I have some drop frames. I already installed version 171 of CrystalHD and the OSD says that I´m using it. My Broadcom card is likely to be old layout, because I bought it ~6 months ago in ebay. Do you think this is the cause, or there is something that I have to configure? I´m booting to a brand new kingston 8GB DT101 stick and the processor doas not pass 60% in OSD.

Regards,

Werther

- gsi095 - 2010-10-14

I was running Dharma and it would freeze and have to be hard reset by pulling the powere cord out. When it rebooted it kept all of the volume shares but lost all of the settings. I had to reset the region, skin settings, log into last.fm etc

anyone experience this?

have gone back to 9.11 to see if it reduces the issues

Dave

- davilla - 2010-10-14

gsi095 Wrote:I was running Dharma and it would freeze and have to be hard reset by pulling the powere cord out. When it rebooted it kept all of the volume shares but lost all of the settings. I had to reset the region, skin settings, log into last.fm etc

anyone experience this?

have gone back to 9.11 to see if it reduces the issues

Dave

Which Dharma ? beta1, beta2 or beta3 ? XBMC.log would be good to see.

- Raider - 2010-10-14

dan
just upgraded to beta 3 (atv-linux) should i stick with the r156 drivers or try the new r171?
using the old style broadcom card...

Drops Frames - titous - 2010-10-14

Hello all,
yesterday I watch Alice in Wonderland in 1080 and in the end of the movie I had 966 droped frames. The movie wento to the end, but sometimes I have some shuttering. I have pin's87 image with Dharma beta 3 installed and Crystalhd 171. My USB Stick is a brand new kingston 8GB DT101 and the wired connection is plugged in a gigabit router, both server and Appletv. My Broadcom card is old layout because I bought it in ebay ~6 months ago. Anybody think if I change the card the problem will be resolved? Which files do you need to check what the problem is?

Regards,

Werther

- davilla - 2010-10-14

titous Wrote:Hello all,
yesterday I watch Alice in Wonderland in 1080 and in the end of the movie I had 966 droped frames. The movie wento to the end, but sometimes I have some shuttering. I have pin's87 image with Dharma beta 3 installed and Crystalhd 171. My USB Stick is a brand new kingston 8GB DT101 and the wired connection is plugged in a gigabit router, both server and Appletv. My Broadcom card is old layout because I bought it in ebay ~6 months ago. Anybody think if I change the card the problem will be resolved? Which files do you need to check what the problem is?

Regards,

Werther

966 dropped frames is not too bad. Make sure LCD is turned off. xbmc.log and output of dmesg is always what I want to see. Use a pastebin site please.

- JeDaj - 2010-10-15

Hello,
I got a little problem. It might be that I do not know much about Linux OS.
First thing - I bought new HDD 160GB. Managed to extract pin87a's image to it. Changed com.apple.boot.plist, and it started without any problems. XBMC starts, nothing special.
I tried to put some media on it. Installed proftpd, loged in as xbmc and started uploading. After couple of minutes I get message that the hard disk if full :/ So I started to check partitions. This is what I found:
Code:
xbmc@AppleTV:~$ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3             2.4G  1.3G  984M  57% /
varrun                122M   84K  122M   1% /var/run
varlock               122M     0  122M   0% /var/lock
udev                  122M   32K  122M   1% /dev
devshm                122M     0  122M   0% /dev/shm
Code:
xbmc@AppleTV:~$ sudo parted
GNU Parted 1.8.8
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
Model: ATA SAMSUNG HM160HC (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 160GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                  Flags
1      20.5kB  210MB   210MB   fat32        EFI System Partition  boot
2      210MB   236MB   26.1MB  hfs+         Recovery              atvrecv
3      236MB   2736MB  2500MB  ext3
4      2736MB  3248MB  512MB   linux-swap

What to do, to get all space from my HDD?
Thanks in advance,

- defiler - 2010-10-15

You'll need to repartition the drive. The drive is split up into chunks that all fit into a 4GB USB flash drive. You need to extend the ext3 partition to take up all the space on your hard disc.

Try this post here.

Failing that, use the search function and look for "parted"