Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- davilla - 2010-11-04

dishoftheday Wrote:How do I get that? OS X won't let me read the external drive I installed crystalbuntu on :confused2:

you ssh in and fetch it.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-04

bolle Wrote:Ok, I added by using a modeline in xorg.conf for 23,97fps

and

in the 'Monitor' and 'Screen' section.

Result is still 60 Hz output. I'm lost....

The UI still renders @ 60Hz but if you have Adjust refresh rate on video will match framerate, in your case 24/1.001Hz

- dismal - 2010-11-04

I have scoured through the forums and searched on google and still can't find an answer so hopefully some of you smarter folks can help me.
I installed pins image to the internal drive after repartitioning and what have, then I upgraded to dharma b4 and the newest crystalhd drivers and everything appears to be in order. When I try to play any of my HD WMVs the audio plays but the picture does not come up, just the file selection screen from xbmc. I have only been able to get 1 720p movie running and under media info it shows as VC1(wmv3). Running hdmi, tried playing around with the video output settings but nothing, sd plays back fine.
Thanks

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-04

Don't know what XBMC's WMV handling is like. If it's a VC-1 stream as you say, why not try demuxing and then muxing into an MKV container and see if it works?

- bolle - 2010-11-05

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:The UI still renders @ 60Hz but if you have Adjust refresh rate on video will match framerate, in your case 24/1.001Hz

Nope, stays in 60Hz even with video...

- bolle - 2010-11-05

Ok, did the following:

got a modeline using
Quote:gtf 1920 1080 23.976

posted the output in xorg.conf and added the following lines too
Quote:Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "False"

No when I play 24 fps content the screen goes to black, after going to a different input on the TV and than back to the HDMI connection I see half an image and the input is reported as 1080i 60HzHuh

- jelleeelco - 2010-11-05

pkolkkal Wrote:I have a Pana TX-P42G10E and had the exact same behaviour. Updated Nvidia drivers to a newer version and the problem goes away, simple as that. I don't know if this has since been fixed in dharma but I don't need hdmi audio so...

Hi, Could you please tell me how you updated the nvidia drivers? I have the exact same issue, with B2 / B4 and R174 CrystalHD driver. Don't need sound over HDMI at all (also going via an amp)...so would LOVE to get Refresh rate going!!

- rolandb5 - 2010-11-05

pkolkkal Wrote:I have a Pana TX-P42G10E and had the exact same behaviour. Updated Nvidia drivers to a newer version and the problem goes away, simple as that. I don't know if this has since been fixed in dharma but I don't need hdmi audio so...

I also had this issue, experienced it also with my XBox 360. However I choose another solution which worked, I updated my TV's firmware. No single issue since.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1295765-panasonic-g10-e-european-model-1216-firmware.html

rolandb5 Wrote:I also had this issue, experienced it also with my XBox 360. However I choose another solution which worked, I updated my TV's firmware. No single issue since.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1295765-panasonic-g10-e-european-model-1216-firmware.html

My tv doesn't have an updated firmware available (Pioneer LX6090). I want to try to update the nvidia drivers, to see if the issue goes away. Xbmc.log does show that 1920x1080 24 is an available output, but I experience the same problem as the others when playing a movie in 24 and having the gui set to 50. It either stutters (Auto Refresh not on) or it just goes black (Auto refresh on).

Another question quickly. If I have Debug log "on", what does the FPS mean? is that the output from the file, or what the TV is currently showing? Reason I'm asking is that if I have Debug ON, and CODEC info as well, the DEBUG line shows 25 FPS, the CODEC shows 25FPS with "Refresh: 50" (when Auto refresh is on).

EDIT: by the way, Auto Refresh doesn't seem to work in Beta 2 or Beta 4...

- bolle - 2010-11-05

Updated the firmware on my LG 60PK250 TV, and updated the Nvidia linux drivers using this info http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=544620&postcount=6 (and of course changing the number for the latest version).

I now have 24fps running, although I don't know if it 23.976 is also supported or if I need to add a line for that. Something to look further into.
Most movies now work fine at 24fps, although some are played back at something like 11-12 fps so that's still something to look at.

Thanks! Are you running PIN87 image or Sams image? It seems I can do the following (can this be confirmed before I bork my disk)?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method 2: use Ubuntu's repositoryUsing this method will make upgrading your NVIDIA kernel modules much cleaner and safer.

Ubuntu has official packages for NVIDIA drivers in their repository. You can see these by:

apt-cache search nvidia | grep ^nvidia

Currently, version 190.53 Beta is the highest available version to Ubuntu 9.10. This is perfect if you are using audio over HDMI, as later versions introduce a change which prevents the ALSA driver from handling this properly.

Looking at the listed versions from the command above enter the following command substituting 195 if you desire a different version:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-195 nvidia-settings mesa-utils libvdpau-dev
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will that work?

- davilla - 2010-11-05

jelleeelco Wrote:Currently, version 190.53 Beta is the highest available version to Ubuntu 9.10. This is perfect if you are using audio over HDMI, as later versions introduce a change which prevents the ALSA driver from handling this properly.

NVIDIA 100.14.19 drivers are the last know version the will allow audio over HDMI on the AppleTV. If you have other info and details, I'd like to know about it.

- bolle - 2010-11-05

I don't use the HDMI out for audio (use optical out into my A/V processor), so I've just used the latest drivers available.
Which drivers still support HDMI audio I have not looked into.

I'm using pin's image.

Scott,

I just copied and paste from a wiki (hence the dotted lines). Will post the link as soon as I can.

Personally I don't need audio over hdmi; updated drivers that (hopefully) fix my refresh rate issue is more important to me.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-05

Had this issue with my set, although I eventually replaced it, I worked round the problem temporarily. You can do it in many different ways:

1. Update Nvidia drivers, sacrificing HDMI audio
  2. Update firmware of TV, or use RS-232 or hex editor to modify EDID
  3. Create a modeline
  4. Create an EDID.bin file to load with Xorg and override the TVs
  5. Use an EDID modulator