Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- ngok - 2010-11-09

I aware that ubuntu 10.10 now officially provide nouveau driver with 3D,will any one give that a try?may solve the HDMI problem.

- anton_kg - 2010-11-09

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:You could cron your reboots

This is definitely not an option. I never reboot my linux laptop and don't want to reboot appletv either. All memory leaks need to be fixed.

Quote:Only small issue is that after playing and stopping a couple (>8) HD movies, the system starts to hang on the refresh change. Guess I have to reboot once per week or so.

I have found a small issue as well: If I pause a movie and play it again, the video become jerking.

- jelleeelco - 2010-11-09

anton_kg Wrote:This is definitely not an option. I never reboot my linux laptop and don't want to reboot appletv either. All memory leaks need to be fixed.

I have found a small issue as well: If I pause a movie and play it again, the video become jerking.

I agree that it would be "nice" if a reboot wasn't necessary. But this is a free program, still in Beta...and I would not stipulate that "it has to be fixed": these guys work on this in their spare time...
If this issue can be resolved, great, if not: fixing it by scheduling the ATV to reboot 1xday (say at 04:00 in the morning) it would be fine for me.

- ngiardina - 2010-11-09

I finally got around to installing the minimal image on my 16GB Patriot Xporter. Everything worked perfectly in loading XBMC. I have no DHCP problems, got an IP address, can ssh in via Putty. When i attempt to add a video source, I click SMB Network, Then I click WORKGROUP, then I attempt to click on my home server, and it just says working and the wheel continues to spin. Any thoughts??

Also, could someone work on putting together the DEFINITIVE guide for installation to the ATV hd, both while keeping ATVOS and ditching ATVOS? I am having lots of trouble searching through this massive thread to get my answers. A beginning to end how to would be awesome, as I don't know linux, I can just follow instructions.

Thanks to anyone who can help out.

- fl0w - 2010-11-09

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Not in the foreseeable future. At least not until NVIDIA drivers offer HDMI out.

Why do you want Jaunty anyway?

to get USB DVB tuner support natively. My tuner (Avermedia Volar Black HD) is not compatible with V4L-DVB + Hardy

- anton_kg - 2010-11-09

jelleeelco Wrote:I agree that it would be "nice" if a reboot wasn't necessary. But this is a free program, still in Beta...and I would not stipulate that "it has to be fixed": these guys work on this in their spare time...

I agree with you, there is a curtain room for bugs during a beta stage (which is about 1 year by now), some features might not work just yet, etc. But as a developer myself I know that it's better to fix memory leaks bugs immediately. Otherwise you'd end up spending 80% of your time fixing things in frustration then some other things does not work as you expected.

At the end of the day, you don't want to have a party where you use atv a lot and it would crash in the middle. So your guests go wtf? And you go: "oh, it's a open source program ... spare time..."

Beta4 stage is the right time to fix it.

- thnmnt - 2010-11-10

anton_kg Wrote:At the end of the day, you don't want to have a party where you use atv a lot and it would crash in the middle. So your guests go wtf? And you go: "oh, it's a open source program ... spare time..."

I never thought I'd be the guy this happened to but...

At my last party I was fully rocking xbmc on atv/linux. Things were going so dope I was literally fighting the chicks off with my tiny white remote.

They were all like. "omg this software is sooo awesome and bug free for a beta! do you have a back room somewhere where we can look at photo albums, and possibly give you a davilla you'll never forget?"

and I was like, "totally, but first I need to switch skins right quick"

Anyway, one thing led to another and there I was, with like nine girls all pulling my clothes off and fighting for the remote - xbmc chugging along playing a 1080p bluray rip over wireless and dropping like zero frames - and all my buddies chanting..."thread jack! thread jack! thread jack!"

you shoulda been there.

- Philmatic - 2010-11-10

Repped! It's at times like this I wish the XBMC.org forum software had the "thanks" plug-in enabled. LOL

- robertalison - 2010-11-10

ngiardina
"smb hang" i encounterd this problem
solution
enter the smb address manualy
save the share
then it seems to conect fine verytime

- docentore - 2010-11-10

fl0w Wrote:to get USB DVB tuner support natively. My tuner (Avermedia Volar Black HD) is not compatible with V4L-DVB + Hardy

I have similar problem, need newer kernel. Reason for that is I swapped internal hdd with CF card and present kernel with libata module forces the card to work in UDMA/33.

I tried to recompile the newer kernel but failed.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-10

First of all, the reboots are a temporary workaround, it's not ideal I know, but this is not finalised software.

To update your kernel, install the Darwin cross tools compiler from atv-bootloader site and run this:

Code:
#upg kernel
sudo apt-get upgrade

#checkout latest atv-bootloader
svn checkout http://atv-bootloader.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ atv-bootloader-read-only
cd atv-bootloader-read-only
rm vmlinuz initrd.gz
#copy in new kernel (uname -r to check)
scp [email protected]:/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-28-generic vmlinuz
scp [email protected]:/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-28-generic initrd.gz
make

Then copy your new mach_kernel to boot drive /dev/sdx1

Wouldn't use aTV as a tuner though..

- docentore - 2010-11-10

thanks Sam, but the apt-get upgrade didn't work. Still having the same kernel. As far as I know I need at least 2.6.25 or even better .26.

Any more suggestions will be appreciated.

un-needed modules - yahooking - 2010-11-11

Hello,
I am using your minimal disk image and have made some changes to provide higher performance to the limited hw.
1) Remove DHCP use static IP also uninstall the dhcp daemon
2) Most are on a network so no need for PPP to be installed
3) Remove openssh server and replace it with dropbear
4) Limit tty to 2
5) Unload some modules
Correct me if i am wrong, but the appletv's power supply does not provide ACPI, so therefore i went ahead and disabled the folowing modules.

blacklist battery
blacklist ipv6
blacklist ip_tables
blacklist iptable_fliter
blacklist intel_agp
blacklist sbs
blacklist button
blacklist thermal
blacklist fan
blacklist ac

after the tweaks.
System free -m on initial boot is
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 242 206 36 0 3 102
-/+ buffers/cache: 100 142
Swap: 953 0 953

------------------------------------------------------
While playing a 1080p mkv file
the free -m shows roughly 8-10 free on physical memory while.

If anyone would like to share any tweaks they make, please feel free to share would appreciate it.

- simonp - 2010-11-11

Thanks for your tweaks. I've done the module blacklisting and tty limit. For the tty limiting did you just remove files from /etc/event.d?

I've also tweaked syslog to stop writing -MARK- every twenty minutes.

/etc/default/syslogd
added

SYSLOGD="-m0"

How did you install dropbear? I fear making a mistake and leaving myself without a terminal connection.

I'm also killing crond manually once it's booted and may stop it altogether if that works out.

With Dharma 3 I've been unable to disable the xbmc.log. I tried creating and putting the correct setting in advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel hide="false">-1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

but it keeps writing to that log file regardless. The debug option is unchecked in the gui. The log file does mention contents of advancedsettings.xml when XBMC starts. Is it perhaps forced on for beta?

I'm contemplating messing with /proc/sys/vm/swappiness and lowering it to ~10. I'm only playing files through XBMC/SMB directly and don't see why I need much in the way of local disk cache.

I'm also renicing xbmc.bin to -10... but can't say if it's actually helping.

Cheers,

--Chris

- yahooking - 2010-11-11

I have my /proc/sys/vm/swappiness set to 60
the higher the number the more swap it uses i believe.
To install Dropbear
sudo apt-get install dropbear
vi /etc/default/dropbear
change the NO START to 0 ( It will be 1 since dropbear installer figures you also have openssh-server.)
after saving that file..
disable or delete the init script for ssh.
You SHOULD not remove the open-ssh server since it will cause xbmc to be removed somehow they are in dependencies.
I just deleted my init script and rebooted...
After reboot you will be in dropbear.
(For initial safety, try renaming the ssh init script to fixme)
if ANYTHING fails.
Once you have xbmc press CNTRL-ALT-F2 and connect a usb keyboard to the appletv)
You will see a login/password prompt
do that and then start the fixme script manually to get in via ssh and see where u messed up.

***For those of you with tv's that show BLACK or Blue screens when attempting the fix using CNTRL-ALT-F2. DO NOT PANIC....
This is what you will do. IN EXACT ORDER
After pressing CNTRL-ALT-F2
type in your login: xbmc
wait 1 second type in your password: xbmc
wait 2 seconds.
type sudo /etc/init.d/fixme start
Wait 1 second.
Type in your password again:xbmc
and you will have ssh running.
this is exactly the same steps you would follow if you saw something on your tv..*** but this is a panic free workaround for those whose tv's do not respond well when switching terminal screen.
----------------------------------
On initial boot i now have 116 mb free memory left after removing all modules and dropbear running.
Might get more if i change my shell to dash... but i like bash Smile

I am actually considering making an image using puppy linux or perhaps freebsd. Dont know how well the crystal drivers would play on bsd though. Any takers?