Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- Nico7as - 2010-11-11

Hi everyone, I'm a real newbie....

how do I restore pin78 image on my USB Stick...i'm on MacOSX Snow Leo

then how can I copy on the AppleTV' HDD, to make a dble boot?

thanks

EDIT :
I found the steps to create the USBstick on page 98, I got the name of the disk (disk2) I tried to copy the image with the sudo command line in the Terminal, an after asking for my password, it worked for 3 min or so, told me "3974103040 bytes transferred in 159.276728 secs (24950933 bytes/sec)) but my USB stick is still the same....and empty :/

here's what I type in the terminal

mbp-nico:~ nmiard$ sudo dd if=/Users/nmiard/Desktop/atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.img of=disk2 bs=4096
Password:
970240+0 records in
970240+0 records out
3974103040 bytes transferred in 159.276728 secs (24950933 bytes/sec)

what am I dooing wrong??!

EDIT 2: btw, my AppleTV isn't modified yet, I just made a Factory Restore, should I patchstick it?

- darkscout - 2010-11-11

Nico7as Wrote:mbp-nico:~ nmiard$ sudo dd if=/Users/nmiard/Desktop/atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.img of=disk2 bs=4096

Dollars to doughnuts you just have a file in the same directory called disk2.

You need /dev/disk2

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-11

docentore Wrote:thanks Sam, but the apt-get upgrade didn't work. Still having the same kernel. As far as I know I need at least 2.6.25 or even better .26.

Any more suggestions will be appreciated.

apt-get update?; what's result of uname -r; who's distro are you using?

yahooking Wrote:Hello,
I am using your minimal disk image and have made some changes to provide higher performance to the limited hw.
1) Remove DHCP use static IP also uninstall the dhcp daemon
2) Most are on a network so no need for PPP to be installed
3) Remove openssh server and replace it with dropbear
4) Limit tty to 2
5) Unload some modules
Correct me if i am wrong, but the appletv's power supply does not provide ACPI, so therefore i went ahead and disabled the folowing modules.

blacklist battery
blacklist ipv6
blacklist ip_tables
blacklist iptable_fliter
blacklist intel_agp
blacklist sbs
blacklist button
blacklist thermal
blacklist fan
blacklist ac

after the tweaks.
System free -m on initial boot is
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 242 206 36 0 3 102
-/+ buffers/cache: 100 142
Swap: 953 0 953

------------------------------------------------------
While playing a 1080p mkv file
the free -m shows roughly 8-10 free on physical memory while.

If anyone would like to share any tweaks they make, please feel free to share would appreciate it.

Dropbear loses some functionality
DHCP daemon has extremely minimal effect.
I personally got rid of stuff like iptables, tasksel, openoffice*, etc etc and reduced it a fair amount.

If anyone really wants to make an Über minimal distro they're welcome to help. Unfortunately NVIDIA drivers seem quite bloaty, and when this is coupled with XBMC a distro is looking at a good 600-700MB.

- simonp - 2010-11-11

In my case I'm not so concerned with bloat on disk. What I'm after is the bare minimum memory footprint as well as eliminating anything that might be using CPU cycles. Anything that writes to disk might cause a hiccup when resources are as constrained as they are on the ATV.

Of course minimizing unnecessary package bloat sounds like a great idea too.

I would love to help out with the next crystalbuntu image.

--Chris

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-12

Send me a PM then with your email.

Component Video Out - /.ryd - 2010-11-12

Right, this post has been updated a bunch of times as I eventually solve my own problems and hit new ones.
Component Video Out is FIXED (as are the several problems I had along the way)

I'm now running pin's Crystalbuntu from an 8GB USB stick and everything seems fine....

Except the Crystal HD Hardware decode option doesn't seem to be there in video options. Mine's the BCM970015... if that's still an issue.

What am I missing?

- docentore - 2010-11-12

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:apt-get update?; what's result of uname -r; who's distro are you using?

Hi Sam,

I was using pin's image as I didn't have big enough flash drive to use yours. But because you asked I decided to buy 16gb one for testing and I had a go with your image as well.
On pin's "uname -r" gives me:
2.6.24-28
on yours:
2.6.24-27

I'm stumbed over here, I'm actually thinking of installing ubuntu 9.10 or Arch myself (did ubuntu 2 or three times before on atv so shouldn't be a problem), but if there is simplier way thats great.

Thanks

Multiple Crystalbuntu Threads? - /.ryd - 2010-11-12

If there are any admins about, is it not perhaps time for this thread to get busted out into a whole section?

There is so much good information in this thread, posted by some really clever dudes, but the thread is now so long that, even using search, finding specific info is getting really hard.

I'd love to see the various tutorials and walkthroughs become the first posts in their own threads.

Anyone else feel this way?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-12

/.ryd Wrote:Right, this post has been updated a bunch of times as I eventually solve my own problems and hit new ones.
Component Video Out is FIXED (as are the several problems I had along the way)

I'm now running pin's Crystalbuntu from an 8GB USB stick and everything seems fine....

Except the Crystal HD Hardware decode option doesn't seem to be there in video options. Mine's the BCM970015... if that's still an issue.

What am I missing?

Update drivers. Have mentioned this many times so just flick back a few posts.

docentore Wrote:Hi Sam,

I was using pin's image as I didn't have big enough flash drive to use yours. But because you asked I decided to buy 16gb one for testing and I had a go with your image as well.
On pin's "uname -r" gives me:
2.6.24-28
on yours:
2.6.24-27

I'm stumbed over here, I'm actually thinking of installing ubuntu 9.10 or Arch myself (did ubuntu 2 or three times before on atv so shouldn't be a problem), but if there is simplier way thats great.

Thanks

2.6.24-28 is the highest it goes for 8.0.4 LTS. You will have to update distro version if you want to use features only supported by kernels that are more recent

- /.ryd - 2010-11-13

Okay, this whole task is taking me far longer than I had expected. I'm going to try to cover all my questions in a single post. If someone can just confirm I have the right information for each step, or point me toward the specific post that contains the correct information, that would be awesome.

Hopefully, this will also gather all the correct information into a single post that others can use.

1) First post of this thread covers how to make the USB boot stick. But it does NOT include either the CrystalHD drivers OR SMB support?

2) To get component video out, you need to update /etc/X11/xorg.conf with something along these lines (depending on TV):
Quote:Code:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
Option "TVStandard" "HD720p"
Option "TVOverScan" "0.80
DefaultDepth 24
Option "NoLogo" "True"
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768" "720x480" "800x600" "640x480"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

3) To get the CrystalHD drivers installed, you need to run the following:
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk crystalhd-r114
cd crystalhd-r114/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd

QUESTION: should the ../../ be replaced with an actual path?

4) To update the version of XBMC, you should do the following:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
However, there are issues with certain versions of XBMC under this configuration...

QUESTION: Which version of XBMC is the newest/stablest? Should I just leave the svn r28256, or is there a newer one that will offer improvement and still play nice with everything?
Also, I assume, I could also just manually copy the new package into place?

5) SMB needs to be enabled somehow, but I can't seem to find the instructions as to how to do this. (I have a single NAS that I stream all my media from). Someone please point me toward the specific post that explains how to do this.

6) It is possible to replace the ATV hard drive with a CF card on an adapter, running the Crystalbuntu image. If I were to go this route, would the best practice to be to treat it like a USB boot stick? Plug it in via an adapter, run all the alterations listed above and, once it's working, install in in place of the internal drive and simply SSH it SOMETHING to tell it to boot from the internal image?
Am I correct in this assumption and, if so, what is the code I need to have it boot from the installed CF drive?

Thanks for any help that can be offered with this, and thanks for the amazing work in making any of this stuff possible to begin with.

Please feel free to add anything salient that I may have missed.

- Muskyinoz - 2010-11-13

ok complete noob question, I've got pins version running and wanted to add a new skin (Night) I used Fugu because quite frankly the terminal is a place of mystical terms I do not understand unless they're written out in idiot speak, but I'm getting premission denied errors.

Can anyone help?

- docentore - 2010-11-13

Hi,

I'll try to answer as many q's as I can:

/.ryd Wrote:1) First post of this thread covers how to make the USB boot stick. But it does NOT include either the CrystalHD drivers OR SMB support?
It comes with CHD and SMB out of box. Sometimes the SMB is broken on my network, I'm not sure if that's the atv problem or my NAS. I have 2 links to my Video folder, one is using SMB other FTP.
I know this is not perfect, but this is going to be temporary until I resolve other things

/.ryd Wrote:3) To get the CrystalHD drivers installed, you need to run the following:
These instructions will update existing CHD driver to rel114

/.ryd Wrote:4) To update the version of XBMC, you should do the following:
you might have to remove xbmc if upgrading for the first time

/.ryd Wrote:5) SMB needs to be enabled somehow, but I can't seem to find the instructions as to how to do this. (I have a single NAS that I stream all my media from). Someone please point me toward the specific post that explains how to do this.
SMB is enabled, maybe there is something wrong with you network configuration?

/.ryd Wrote:6) It is possible to replace the ATV hard drive with a CF card on an adapter, running the Crystalbuntu image. If I were to go this route, would the best practice to be to treat it like a USB boot stick? Plug it in via an adapter, run all the alterations listed above and, once it's working, install in in place of the internal drive and simply SSH it SOMETHING to tell it to boot from the internal image?
Am I correct in this assumption and, if so, what is the code I need to have it boot from the installed CF drive?
I'm using this configuration, installed fast 4gb CF card. The only problem is that the card is capable of doing UDMA/100 but there is a bug in one the kernel modules (libata) and this forces CF card to work as UDMA/33. You need to use release/image with uses some newer kernel (nowhere to find) or install newer distro by yourself.

- /.ryd - 2010-11-13

docentore Wrote:It comes with CHD and SMB out of box. Sometimes the SMB is broken on my network, I'm not sure if that's the atv problem or my NAS. I have 2 links to my Video folder, one is using SMB other FTP.

SMB is enabled, maybe there is something wrong with you network configuration?

Thanks so much for your answers.

I thought the CHD drivers were not in this image, as I don't see the enable hardware acceleration option in the xbmc video menu. I see it in my xbmc install under mac OS, just not this one.

I'm pretty sure the SMB problem isn't with my network. I have two xbox1s with xbmc that see the shares just fine.
The Apple TV sees the shares just fine with xbmc under mac OS... just not when I boot the Crystalbuntu image.

Anyway, if anyone else has answers to these questions, especially the SMB enabling, I'd be hugely thankful.

Thanks again, docentore!

- Muskyinoz - 2010-11-13

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but my NAS worked straight out of the box (and i know nothing about Linux) with SMB so it's definitely enabled

- defiler - 2010-11-14

A few people seem to have had problems running SMB to an Apple box. May be best running it over NFS instead. You'd need to install NFS to the USB image, but that's not hard. Then you have to share your media drive via NFS (should be in your /etc/exports file), and then add that NFS share to your ATV (in /etc/fstab).

All advice should be verified when I'm sober, which is not right now. Wheee!