Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- matthoffman - 2010-11-17

I found out something very interested after I DD'd pins image to my appleTV HDD and expanded it to the full 40gb.

I was having all kinds of stability issues using xbmc beta 4 and latest crystalHD drivers. Everything worked great on the thumb drive but after the HDD was imaged it was very unstable. Well it turns out the Swap partition was not enabled. So anybody that is putting the 4GB image on HDD and use parted to expand, make sure your Swap Partition is functioning. XBMC seems to run out of memory quickly with crystalHD and ubuntu will kill it because of having no more ram. I verified this by checking my syslog after XBMC for no reason just killed its self and restarted with no issues showing up in xbmc logs. Just thought I would through this out there for anybody having issues running expanded image on internel HDD. After I enabled Swap/rebooted all my stability issues have appeared to go away.

- generikb - 2010-11-18

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Seems parted doesn't recognise /dev/sda. What is the output of sudo fdisk -l (I know it doesn't support GPT but will show partitions)

Hi Sam! Here's what it gives me:

Code:
xbmc@atv:~$ sudo fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn                                                                                                                               't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn                                                                                                                               't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 4100 MB, 4100980736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 498 cylinders

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1         488     3915775+  ee  EFI GPT
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(0, 0, 1) logical=(0, 0, 2)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(1023, 254, 63) logical=(487, 125, 22)

- thebookfreak58 - 2010-11-18

Riderzzz Wrote:Just put the image on a 4 GB (or bigger) usb-stick. thats it, no need for anything else Smile

Look at first post in here.

Thanks! That's really useful. I think I might wait for the new image with Darhma and the latest drivers and just use the aTV OS for now.

Will there be any issues using a Harmony remote? Or just set it to Plex Player?

- kkillebrew - 2010-11-18

Thanks for this! Same issues here and I never thought to check the swap.
I've been struggling with instability on two ATV's running from the internal HD while another running from the exact same image on USB is perfect.

I adjusted FSTAB to mount /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4 (swap) eliminating the UUID method and now everything is perfect.

matthoffman Wrote:I found out something very interested after I DD'd pins image to my appleTV HDD and expanded it to the full 40gb.

I was having all kinds of stability issues using xbmc beta 4 and latest crystalHD drivers. Everything worked great on the thumb drive but after the HDD was imaged it was very unstable. Well it turns out the Swap partition was not enabled. So anybody that is putting the 4GB image on HDD and use parted to expand, make sure your Swap Partition is functioning. XBMC seems to run out of memory quickly with crystalHD and ubuntu will kill it because of having no more ram. I verified this by checking my syslog after XBMC for no reason just killed its self and restarted with no issues showing up in xbmc logs. Just thought I would through this out there for anybody having issues running expanded image on internel HDD. After I enabled Swap/rebooted all my stability issues have appeared to go away.

- mad2030 - 2010-11-18

kkillebrew Wrote:I adjusted FSTAB to mount /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4 (swap) eliminating the UUID method and now everything is perfect.

Hello,
same problem here. Please can you explain how? (For linux newbies)

TIA

Mad2010

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-11-18

kkillebrew Wrote:[

I had no problem personally, but I will make the future releases 3.5GB or so and then it will fit comfortably onto any 4gb USB
Quote:Hi Sam - I've found a way to get most any 4GB USB to work that I have not seen posted here. Using USBit under windows just click the "truncate oversized images in device mode..." option and restore the image. With both yours and pin's image it will end up truncating the swap file only and you can use parted 1.8.8 to correct the pointers, delete and then recreate the swap file to a size that fits. I've seen no performance difference with this method vs. using an 8GB stick and the original swap size.

It works yes, but it creates problems which then have to be overcome. I can easily avoid these issues on the next release

matthoffman Wrote:I found out something very interested after I DD'd pins image to my appleTV HDD and expanded it to the full 40gb.

yup - it's an fstab issue with resolving uuid of swap

generikb Wrote:Hi Sam! Here's what it gives me:

Code:
xbmc@atv:~$ sudo fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn                                                                                                                               't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders

Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn                                                                                                                               't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 4100 MB, 4100980736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 498 cylinders

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1         488     3915775+  ee  EFI GPT
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(0, 0, 1) logical=(0, 0, 2)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(1023, 254, 63) logical=(487, 125, 22)

It's blank then. sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary HFS 40s 69671s should work. Have you got HFS Tools and patched parted like I said? This is a prerequisite.

mad2030 Wrote:Hello,
same problem here. Please can you explain how? (For linux newbies)

TIA

Mad2010

nano or vim your /etc/fstab and replace UUID of swap with /dev/sdxn where x is a if internal, b if off a USB, and n is the number of partition that is swap (check with parted).

- generikb - 2010-11-18

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:It's blank then. sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary HFS 40s 69671s should work. Have you got HFS Tools and patched parted like I said? This is a prerequisite.

Hmmm yeah I did everything step by step just like you wrote! I can do it all again just in case I missed something.

Thanks again!

parted --version output please

- mad2030 - 2010-11-18

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:parted --version output please

I have this output:

parted (GNU parted) 1.8.8
Copyright © 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by <http://parted.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/browser/AUTHORS>.

That sounds like it's in order then, which means it's mighty odd /dev/sda is not recognised. Here are some things you could try:

-- a parted LiveCD - obviously to set atvrecov you will need patched parted.
-- rebuild.sh the structure and go from there, you may have messed up the drive structure significantly (although really this shouldn't matter).
-- do it from a different Linux install (atv-bootloader might help out)

Try sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda once more though and see if it does fix your issue.

- generikb - 2010-11-19

[quote=Sam.Nazarko]That sounds like it's in order then, which means it's mighty odd /dev/sda is not recognised. Here are some things you could try:

-- a parted LiveCD - obviously to set atvrecov you will need patched parted.
-- rebuild.sh the structure and go from there, you may have messed up the drive structure significantly (although really this shouldn't matter).
-- do it from a different Linux install (atv-bootloader might help out)

so when i do this part:

Code:
nano ./install_parted.sh
#Change ./configure --enable-static=yes to ./configure CFLAGS="-fgnu89-inline" --enable-static=yes
sudo ./install_parted.sh

I get this error:

Code:
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
There seems to be no Makefile in this directory.
You must run ./configure before running `make'.
make: *** [all] Error 1
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
Done
xbmc@atv:~/hfs_support/parted$

any thoughts?

edit note: the file originally just said "./configure --enable-static" without the "=yes", but I tried both ways and same error.

- marcelomanzo - 2010-11-19

Just update to Dharma RC1, everything looks good.

Please note that I'm not using Crystal HD, just the Crystalbuntu.

- xeonicxpression - 2010-11-19

Upgraded to RC1 and everything is running smooth again. I was having some issues with it hanging when trying to play a movie, but we will see if that was just a little snafu.

- jelleeelco - 2010-11-19

Can someone help me? I have updated to a later nvidia driver, but it's still not working 100%. I have tried to find the latest driver, but can't find it...

How can I find the latest Nvidia driver for Crystalbuntu (hardy)?

Many thanks
Jelle

PS I know, no sound over HDMI...