Kodi Community Forum
ATV (Linux) + NAS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: ATV (Linux) + NAS (/showthread.php?tid=75721)

Pages: 1 2

ATV (Linux) + NAS - JDizzy - 2010-06-16

I am in the midst of purchasing a NAS and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation? I'm looking at 4TB storage and was looking at a Western Digital ShareSpace (4x1TB) or a Seagate BlackArmor 4TB.

I am running an ATV with Linux via USB stick drive with a Windows 7 machine.

I would like to have a NAS drive so I don't have to have the computer on, or XBMC reliant on the drives hooked to the computer.

Thanks for your ideas!

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-17

get a couple of bits together (you don't need a powerful system), get a RAID controller (if you want redundancy), and use http://freenas.org/. It's very light and does the job nicely. Yes it will require a computer on, but essentially a NAS will have to be on as well so there's little difference. You can run it headless so no screen is needed and just maintain remotely.

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-17

I've been looking at NAS's as well. What I'd like is something low power (and wake from lan and schedule on/off and HD hibernation), but powerful enough to run MySQL adequately (XBMC database). I'd also like it to have:
- print server
- Time Machine backup
- HFS+drive compatibility
- SMB minimum but also nice if it has AFP & NFS
- iTunes server

Synology seems pretty close (and an excellent NAS for the price) but you can't hang HFS+ drives off of it. WD World Edition (and ShareSpaces?) are HFS compatible, and you can hack them for MySQL, but it sounds like they're underpowered. Then you have the QNAP's and ReadyNAS's, which can do most of the above (either built-in or through hacks) but I'm looking at cheaper and I don't have time for the hacking (thus not looking at building my own with FreeNAS). I might have to reformat my hard drives to hang off the Synology and just go for it although, I too, am curious what other people are using.

- itstonye - 2010-06-17

I just bought the Thecus 4100Pro. Its great.

A great site to check-out is http://www.eaegis.com

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-06-17

tuckbodi Wrote:I've been looking at NAS's as well. What I'd like is something low power (and wake from lan and schedule on/off and HD hibernation), but powerful enough to run MySQL adequately (XBMC database). I'd also like it to have:
- print server
- Time Machine backup
- iTunes server

Synology seems pretty close (and an excellent NAS for the price) but you can't hang HFS+ drives off of it. WD World Edition (and ShareSpaces?) are HFS compatible, and you can hack them for MySQL, but it sounds like they're underpowered. Then you have the QNAP's and ReadyNAS's, which can do most of the above (either built-in or through hacks) but I'm looking at cheaper and I don't have time for the hacking (thus not looking at building my own with FreeNAS). I might have to reformat my hard drives to hang off the Synology and just go for it although, I too, am curious what other people are using.

You want a server then. A NAS is for well, storage, but your requirements indicate you want far more than that (Printing, iTunes Server)

- neomits - 2010-06-17

tuckbodi Wrote:I've been looking at NAS's as well. What I'd like is something low power (and wake from lan and schedule on/off and HD hibernation), but powerful enough to run MySQL adequately (XBMC database). I'd also like it to have:
- print server
- Time Machine backup
- iTunes server

As an option, you can get an Airport Extreme Base Station and connect any external drives you have to the USB port (with hub). This satisfies most your requirements.

I'm using this setup and it works great and is cheapest. There are a few times where USB throughput can't keep up and I get some buffering, but its very rare.

- JDizzy - 2010-06-17

My system is fairly basic.

I bought a NetGear Stora 1TB NAS.
I put 2) 2TB WD Caviar Green drives in the case, and put the included 1TB into my computer. Total cost +/- $450US

In the midst of moving content to NAS which will take a few days as it looks.

Have watched several shows off of it (SD) and not a hiccup.
Thanks for input.

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-17

Are you planning on adding/using the new mysql database support to your NAS? If you do, please post back and let us know how it goes. This is one of my main reasons I'm looking at switching over to a NAS for my media serving needs.

- wojo - 2010-06-20

I had a few standalone-NAS but all cheap nas had one big issue! performance! net speed! all were very slow...

for few months i am using FREENAS and i think this is it!!

- JDizzy - 2010-06-21

tuckbodi Wrote:Are you planning on adding/using the new mysql database support to your NAS? If you do, please post back and let us know how it goes. This is one of my main reasons I'm looking at switching over to a NAS for my media serving needs.

I read a bit into that and swooosh...right over my head. I am also running USB Linux stick drive on ATV and database would probably get saved to it?
I'll wait and see how it all pans out. I bought unit for convenience so I could leave the computer off. I have also found that movies load much more quickly off the NAS than off of a external HD hooked through computer. Other than it taking several days to copy over media, I am pleased so far.

BTW, at the moment, there are 2 x 2TB drives in it, BUT, they are in RAID so one 2TB available. There is a firmware update coming that will allow to turn off RAID and use both drives for storage through JBOD.

- scorneil - 2010-06-21

itstonye Wrote:I just bought the Thecus 4100Pro. Its great.

[/url]

i am using this too. love it

- zerostar - 2010-06-21

- print server
- Time Machine backup
- iTunes server

I use a Buffalo LinkStation (and the big-brother TerraStation at work) and they are both great devices that do all those things you mention, tho not sure about HFS+ (not sure why you would need it) but does do AFP...

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-21

zerostar Wrote:I use a Buffalo LinkStation (and the big-brother TerraStation at work) and they are both great devices that do all those things you mention, tho not sure about HFS+ (not sure why you would need it) but does do AFP...

HFS+ is the format my drives are in and before I go and reformat them, and copy my content back onto them (and buy another 2tb drive to act as a temp storage area), I thought I'd look around and see what was out there. So far I think I've only heard the WD World Edition has HFS without hacking it but speed may be an issue. AFP is for networking. Good to know about the Buffalo's..thx!

- JDizzy - 2010-06-27

tuckbodi Wrote:Are you planning on adding/using the new mysql database support to your NAS? If you do, please post back and let us know how it goes. This is one of my main reasons I'm looking at switching over to a NAS for my media serving needs.

This was regarding the NetGear Stora NAS....

Is it possible to run the mysql database without having some sort of server?
The reason I went with NAS was to leave the computer off. I just use the NAS as storage.
Since I am running the ATV off Linux memory stick I'm not sure what would need to be done to use the mysql. And if we will have to change over to mysql eventually. I don't plan on having several devices using the same database.

- Darkcloud28 - 2010-06-28

i have Lacie Big Network hard drive - 2 of them ,10TB each , they are amazing , they run Twonky media server , Itunes server , and bit torrent server , and i have most of my Blu-ray files store there , no problem with playing full 1080p.
and if You order directly from LaCie - no tax !