Kodi Community Forum
v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: reFocus (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Thread: v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=75867)

- Jeroen - 2011-09-12

JimL Wrote:Wait what, are you removing that menu? I thought it had just been "released" Tongue
I consider it released when it ends up in a stable build on the google code page Smile It isn't and won't be the last time I take out something I added. I just have to code up something and use it to see if it's something I think fits/is good enough. Not a very time effective way of working perhaps, but that's the only way for me Smile

Quote:Any other settings than those I listed up there that turns fanart view in the homescreen on/off?
Nah, only "use fanart slideshow" is relevant in this case. If you set a custom slidewhow, does that work?

MaDDoGo Wrote:Hi Jeroen,

I am testing and trying to learn how github is working and I forked the code and pulled one translation request. I hope that this doesn't bother you.

Cheers!
Not at all, thanks for the update. I merged your pull request, so that went well Smile

TheStretchedElf Wrote:Jeroen, have you ever considered horizontal menus? Made a couple of mockups which I might mod if I ever get time.
I have, and also coded a few. I made a quick horizontal version of the alternate homescreen the other day.

I don't know, whenever I try a skin with a horizontal menu I always find myself having to really focus on the selected item to see where I am in the menu. Whereas in a vertical menu I can see all options at once, and it just feels way more intuitive. I just think as a UI concept it's very flawed.

It also poses some other problems/challenges skinning-wise.
Localization is a limiting factor. If the labels are too different in length the menu starts to look weird.

In the case of a horizontal menu I would prefer to have it not scroll. So that every main category is on screen (think Apple TV), but then the space is too limited per category if I want to keep the structure I like.

So I'll probably keep looking into more alternatives, but right now I want to focus on releasing a new stable build.

deanmv Wrote:Hey,

I know you are getting rid of the new home screen in the GIT's but is there any (relatively easy) way to hack the old movie info bit (that replaces the RSS ticker from the old home screen) into the new one?

Cheers

Look around in home.xml for a section that is commented as "library stats", if you get rid of:

PHP Code:
<visible>Skin.HasSetting(home.new)</visible

references it should show up.

dgsgc Wrote:Couple of queries...

On the original home the tv shows and movies link shows a browse link instead of going into the library, is that supposed to happen? Goes straight into library when using alternate home screen.
The label says browse, but it does go into library

- ZombieRobot - 2011-09-12

I have been using this as a personal mod on my main htpc just because i am obviously a big aeon fan Wink but use refocus/cirrus (dont tell anyone) because i like clean well designed skins. prob too much bule for some but i like the blue theme throughout the whole skin

Anyway nice job your doing jeroen keep it up man

- deanmv - 2011-09-12

Jeroen Wrote:Look around in home.xml for a section that is commented as "library stats", if you get rid of:

PHP Code:
<visible>Skin.HasSetting(home.new)</visible

Was looking round in that section for ages adding bits in, deleted that one line and it worked! Thanks a lot!

- dgsgc - 2011-09-12

Jeroen Wrote:The label says browse, but it does go into library

Yes when i click on browse it does go into the library but i dont see the need for that extra click? The alternate home screen goes straight into the library without the browse. Is there anyway to make the standard home screen do this?

Any ideas on why the posters are slow to load the git version? Ive been switching back and forth between git and 0.9.1 and its definitley slower.

Cheers

- dgsgc - 2011-09-12

ZombieRobot Wrote:I have been using this as a personal mod on my main htpc just because i am obviously a big aeon fan Wink but use refocus/cirrus (dont tell anyone) because i like clean well designed skins. prob too much bule for some but i like the blue theme throughout the whole skin

Anyway nice job your doing jeroen keep it up man

Love that blue fan art background... Any chance of getting the files for this?

- otcho - 2011-09-12

I think it's background.png or background2.png, somewhere in a subfolder of the reFocus skin.

- deanmv - 2011-09-12

dgsgc Wrote:Yes when i click on browse it does go into the library but i dont see the need for that extra click? The alternate home screen goes straight into the library without the browse. Is there anyway to make the standard home screen do this?

Any ideas on why the posters are slow to load the git version? Ive been switching back and forth between git and 0.9.1 and its definitley slower.

Cheers

Just to chip in here, I found the poster loading speed depending a lot on which version of XBMC I was running. I updated to a differently nightly (the on in my sig) and the speed greatly improved compared to the one I was running before. Might be that?

- Jeroen - 2011-09-12

dgsgc Wrote:Yes when i click on browse it does go into the library but i dont see the need for that extra click? The alternate home screen goes straight into the library without the browse. Is there anyway to make the standard home screen do this?
If it would open the library right away there would be no way to get to the submenus. I can't use right here to open the submenu.
Quote:Any ideas on why the posters are slow to load the git version? Ive been switching back and forth between git and 0.9.1 and its definitley slower.

Cheers
No idea, if anything the git builds are faster than 0.9.1 for me.

- dgsgc - 2011-09-12

Im using one from the 26th August so its probably that, ill update and try again.

Regarding the browse/submenus for TV and Movies, I see what you mean about sub menus. Would it be possible to have a user option to disable them so that they go straight into the library? I never use the sub menus for genre etc so would be good to remove the extra click. I understand other poeple may use the sub menus so if this is something I can mod I would appreciate any help.

One other niggle is that when exiting Movies or TV shows I have to hit back twice to get back to the menu. This doesnt happen on any other skin, any ideas why?

Sorry if my few posts have sounded all negative, these are tiny tweaks that would make this skin 100% for me. It is by far the cleanest, easiest to use and most polished looking of all the skins ive tried so far.

Great work, keep it up. Big Grin

- Jeroen - 2011-09-12

dgsgc Wrote:Regarding the browse/submenus for TV and Movies, I see what you mean about sub menus. Would it be possible to have a user option to disable them so that they go straight into the library?
Yes, with the new structure of the home menu this will be easier to do, so I think I'll add an option for that.

Quote:One other niggle is that when exiting Movies or TV shows I have to hit back twice to get back to the menu. This doesnt happen on any other skin, any ideas why?
This used to be the way it worked for all skins. At some point a "return" parameter was introduced for opening windows, but I never liked this behavior because it means I have to scroll to the top of the list before I can get to genres and such. It's easy to mod, but providing an option for it would mean making a duplicate of every button in the menu, which isn't something I'm willing to do.
I think when skin variables are introduced I will be able to make this optional behavior in a sane way.

If you look in HomeSubMenu.xml, you will see lines like this one:
PHP Code:
<onclick>ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,movietitles)</onclick

Now if you add the return parameter like this:
PHP Code:
<onclick>ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,movietitles,return)</onclick
It will work like you want.

Quote:Sorry if my few posts have sounded all negative, these are tiny tweaks that would make this skin 100% for me. It is by far the cleanest, easiest to use and most polished looking of all the skins ive tried so far.

Great work, keep it up. Big Grin
No worries Smile

- dgsgc - 2011-09-12

Superb, thanks for the help.

This really should be the default skin for XBMC, ive set a few friends up with HTPC's and they all picked reFocus as the skin they wanted.

- Jimmeh - 2011-09-13

I like the new-old menu, the blue gradient makes the home screen much more defined I think Smile

I realise the menu entries have been a contentious subject, but having TV, Movies and Videos seems a bit redundant to me. Seems like you'd either want a catch-all videos menu, or tv/movies but not both at the same time.

- dannycorker - 2011-09-13

Only issue I have with the new menu is I have no idea how to get to the 'Programs' section anymore to access scripts? Am I missing something? :S

- Jeroen - 2011-09-13

Jimmeh Wrote:I realise the menu entries have been a contentious subject, but having TV, Movies and Videos seems a bit redundant to me. Seems like you'd either want a catch-all videos menu, or tv/movies but not both at the same time.

A lot of people have video content that is neither movie or tv show content.

How else would you get to those? There is a "Files" node in the library for a reason. Also, it gives video add-ons a place. Having a custom entry to for instance Youtube should be in the video menu. It would make no sense whatsoever to put this under movies or tv shows.

So I don't think it's redundant at all.

dannycorker Wrote:Only issue I have with the new menu is I have no idea how to get to the 'Programs' section anymore to access scripts? Am I missing something? :S
It's under add-ons. Or at least it should be unless I forgot Tongue

- Jimmeh - 2011-09-13

Jeroen Wrote:A lot of people have video content that is neither movie or tv show content.

How else would you get to those? There is a "Files" node in the library for a reason. Also, it gives video add-ons a place. Having a custom entry to for instance Youtube should be in the video menu. It would make no sense whatsoever to put this under movies or tv shows.

So I don't think it's redundant at all.

Fair enough, I had no idea you could add content to the library that isn't either a movie or a tv show.

In other skins I've used in the past, I've always disabled the videos menu entry and used the movie/tv combo. In this case I would probably prefer to disable the movies/tv options in favour of the videos menu for the sake of having everything in one place, and ideally roll the video addons into the list.

For example:

Videos -> Movies
New Movies
TV Shows
New Episodes
YouTube
Apple Movie Trailers

No idea if it's possible to do that with addons.