XBMC Community Forum
[Release] reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- XBMC Community Forum (http://forum.xbmc.org)
+-- Forum: Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skin Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: reFocus (/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+---- Thread: [Release] reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=75867)

- nemulate - 2011-10-09 22:52

Hi,

not sure if I'm doing something wrong but have enabled 'enable banner viewtypes for TV shows' and enabled 'use locally stored banners' and whilst the banners view type is working fine the banner list view type isn't showing the banners only the default banner. This is the same for both 0.9.3 and 0.9.4 git, should banner list not be using locally stored banners?

Thanks

- Jeroen - 2011-10-10 18:10

canadave Wrote:The nice thing about the way Confluence handles these plugins is that you can choose any viewtype for any stage in the hierarchical menu path, even if that viewtype may not be ideal for that menu level (such as your example screenshot of reFocus showing the individual events). It's nice to have the option, even if in some cases it's not really correct to use (as in your example).

reFocus takes quite a different approach to viewtypes than Confluence. It's hard to explain, but in short it means that reFocus' viewtypes are less flexible to re-use for different types of content, but more tailored to the specific content that is being listed.

Confluence kind of allocates a "one size fits all" space for thumbnails in most viewtypes. This means it's more flexible, but generally the (non-square) thumbnails are displayed smaller because it has to take into account that thumbnails with different aspect ratios also need to fit into the same space. While reFocus has viewtypes specifically made for posters, viewtypes specifically made for fanart, etc.
For example, while the slide viewtype presents itself as one viewtype across all content types, they are actually multiple viewtypes with the same name with layouts specific to the type of content that is listed...both methods have their up and downsides.

Regardless of that though, I am in the process of making the viewtypes more...modular for lack of a better word. This means more viewtypes will become available across all content types.

Which is hard because the various plugins use a wide variety of different types of thumbnails and metadata. So, some structure and standards have to be assumed.

Anyway, this will be one of the main focus points for the next release.

- Jeroen - 2011-10-10 18:14

nemulate Wrote:Hi,

not sure if I'm doing something wrong but have enabled 'enable banner viewtypes for TV shows' and enabled 'use locally stored banners' and whilst the banners view type is working fine the banner list view type isn't showing the banners only the default banner. This is the same for both 0.9.3 and 0.9.4 git, should banner list not be using locally stored banners?

Thanks

Sometimes when I just added a new banner or logo it's not picked up by xbmc immediately for some reason and I have to restart xbmc in order to see them. Other than that, they are showing up for me. So try restarting xbmc to see if that'll do the trick.

- nemulate - 2011-10-10 19:21

Jeroen Wrote:Sometimes when I just added a new banner or logo it's not picked up by xbmc immediately for some reason and I have to restart xbmc in order to see them. Other than that, they are showing up for me. So try restarting xbmc to see if that'll do the trick.

Bizzare but totally correct! Working fine now, thing I couldn't get my head round was why it was working for one banner view type and not the other!

- spoco2 - 2011-10-10 22:07

Jeroen Wrote:Well, this is a different situation though. In this case there is no exit option available at all when submenus are disabled.

So, that is a bit of an oversight. I'll have to think about how to tackle it.

Temporary solutions: if you use a remote with a keyboard, pressing S will bring up the shutdown menu. Alternatively, you could map a button on your remote to bring it up.

Thanks for that... It doesn't even have to be an option in the list, could be a power icon like other skins have on their homescreen to bring up the shutdown menu... just very handy with the rest of the family who don't remember key mappings and 'secret' menus.

- canadave - 2011-10-10 22:19

Jeroen Wrote:reFocus takes quite a different approach to viewtypes than Confluence. It's hard to explain, but in short it means that reFocus' viewtypes are less flexible to re-use for different types of content, but more tailored to the specific content that is being listed.

Confluence kind of allocates a "one size fits all" space for thumbnails in most viewtypes. This means it's more flexible, but generally the (non-square) thumbnails are displayed smaller because it has to take into account that thumbnails with different aspect ratios also need to fit into the same space. While reFocus has viewtypes specifically made for posters, viewtypes specifically made for fanart, etc.
For example, while the slide viewtype presents itself as one viewtype across all content types, they are actually multiple viewtypes with the same name with layouts specific to the type of content that is listed...both methods have their up and downsides.

Regardless of that though, I am in the process of making the viewtypes more...modular for lack of a better word. This means more viewtypes will become available across all content types.

Which is hard because the various plugins use a wide variety of different types of thumbnails and metadata. So, some structure and standards have to be assumed.

Anyway, this will be one of the main focus points for the next release.
Jeroen, thank you very much for taking the time to explain the workings, and I look forward to what you can come up with in future releases Smile

By the way, if I can just suggest two extremely minor changes, both regarding the "splash screen" that appears as the skin loads when XBMC starts:

1. Make the splash screen optional (a setting in the "Skin Settings" area), or at least make the audio that comes with the splash screen optional. I started it up the other night while my wife was sleeping, didn't realize I had the volume way up, and BAM! it blasted through the speakers Smile

2. Speaking of that audio jingle that accompanies the splash screen...the tail end of it is cut off just a bit. In other words it doesn't fade QUITE to silence....it cuts off audibly as it's fading.

As I said...those are so minor that you can absolutely feel free to ignore them entirely Laugh Thanks again for the skin!

- Hirs - 2011-10-12 11:58

Hi,

I have updated to the git version, every thing is fine, and I like it too much to go back Smile, but I can't get the unwatched flag to show up, is just me or it is something known?

Are you considering an option to use numeric rating?

- Kaitlyn2004 - 2011-10-13 03:29

Just upgraded to pre-eden and installed this skin. Loving it! So clean and smooth.

I noticed, for example, in movies I am limited in my submenu options. Do I have the option to view by year, for example?

I'm used to using Aeon MQ 2...

- Jeroen - 2011-10-14 12:07

canadave Wrote:1. Make the splash screen optional (a setting in the "Skin Settings" area), or at least make the audio that comes with the splash screen optional. I started it up the other night while my wife was sleeping, didn't realize I had the volume way up, and BAM! it blasted through the speakers Smile
Wouldn't want to upset the wife now, I'll look into it Wink

Quote:2. Speaking of that audio jingle that accompanies the splash screen...the tail end of it is cut off just a bit. In other words it doesn't fade QUITE to silence....it cuts off audibly as it's fading.
True, I have to redo it at some point.

Hirs Wrote:Hi,

I have updated to the git version, every thing is fine, and I like it too much to go back Smile, but I can't get the unwatched flag to show up, is just me or it is something known?
They're showing up for me atm, but things change often on git as it's a dev version, so it's quite possible things will temporarily break when using the git version.

Quote:Are you considering an option to use numeric rating?
No plans for that no.

Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:Just upgraded to pre-eden and installed this skin. Loving it! So clean and smooth.

I noticed, for example, in movies I am limited in my submenu options. Do I have the option to view by year, for example?

I'm used to using Aeon MQ 2...
I'll add options for years and actors to movies and tvshows.

- Kaitlyn2004 - 2011-10-14 18:42

Jeroen Wrote:I'll add options for years and actors to movies and tvshows.

Awesome! In terms of getting logo/clearart... in Aeon MQ3 it is an option in the "left menu" under extra panel... in refocus it appears I have to go into settings and into submenus. If I am regularly adding content, this kind of sucks. Is there any other/better way to trigger the fetching of the logo/clearart for TV shows?

- BigDaddyRal - 2011-10-15 03:50

I love the splash screen, my only request would be to decrease the volume output by 30%. It starts up very loud. Smile

That being said, any chance you'll be adding TV Next Aired support to the TV views screens? I only use the Gallery screen, so if that gets a line added with the next air date I'd be thrilled.

Also, is it possible to change the way TVNextAired is displayed when you open the plugin directly in reFocus to make it more reFocus like?

Otherwise, awesome skin. I try to give other skins a shot but always switch back in about an hour. Thanks for your hard work.

- Jeroen - 2011-10-15 10:37

Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:Awesome! In terms of getting logo/clearart... in Aeon MQ3 it is an option in the "left menu" under extra panel... in refocus it appears I have to go into settings and into submenus. If I am regularly adding content, this kind of sucks. Is there any other/better way to trigger the fetching of the logo/clearart for TV shows?

You can also get to the logo and banner downloader through the movie/tvshow's info screen.

BigDaddyRal Wrote:I love the splash screen, my only request would be to decrease the volume output by 30%. It starts up very loud. Smile
Allright, I'll look into that.

Quote:That being said, any chance you'll be adding TV Next Aired support to the TV views screens? I only use the Gallery screen, so if that gets a line added with the next air date I'd be thrilled.
Yes, I have been working on this lately. This will be supported in the next release.

Quote:Also, is it possible to change the way TVNextAired is displayed when you open the plugin directly in reFocus to make it more reFocus like?
Yes, the script's window will also be skinned.

Quote:Otherwise, awesome skin. I try to give other skins a shot but always switch back in about an hour. Thanks for your hard work.
Cheers Smile

- Jeroen - 2011-10-15 14:34

Some of you may remember I was in doubt whether to keep the "banner list" view. Main reason for this was that I felt it sticked out, as the view is only available for tv shows when using banners.

I decided to keep the view, and I'm now thinking about expanding and adapting it to movies and tv show posters so the viewtype will be more universal.

Obviously it will not use banners for movies, so I would like to give the viewtype a global name across the other content types that doesn't refer to banners.

Problem is, I can't come up with a good name for the viewtype. I'd like to limit it to one word that gives a somewhat good description to the type of view.

So, if anyone can come up with a good name I'd like to hear it.

Just to be clear I'm talking about this view:

[Image: qj0fk.jpg]

- nitio - 2011-10-15 14:57

Jeroen Wrote:...
So, if anyone can come up with a good name I'd like to hear it.

First of all, I'm glad you'll be keeping it as I use it and enjoy it very much Smile

For a more universal name maybe this will help you:
- art list (fanart for movies, banner for tv, fanart for music...)
- image list
(they're dumb I know but it's just to get your creative mind started!)

Aaand finally, there is one view that got my eye in Fusion (Migma or whatever) which is quite similar to the Gallery one with key differences. I enjoy it very much as it is very very clean.

- Only one fanart is shown (the current)
- Arrows to both sides (not important)
- In TV mode = Logos are used
- In Artist = logos are used
- Pretty much everything else can be switched off on the screen
Below is what I'm talking about:
[Image: capturepwj.png]

In all fairness, I could hack it around but then I'd have to keep doing that every new release, so, it's a request but obviously, whenever Wink

- Galefury - 2011-10-15 15:29

Jeroen Wrote:You can also get to the logo and banner downloader through the movie/tvshow's info screen.

Allright, I'll look into that.

Yes, I have been working on this lately. This will be supported in the next release.

Yes, the script's window will also be skinned.

Cheers Smile

Stripe ?