Kodi Community Forum
v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: reFocus (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Thread: v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=75867)

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - knewknow - 2014-03-06

(2014-03-02, 11:43)Jeroen Wrote:
(2014-03-01, 05:22)knewknow Wrote: The only thing I'm personally concerned with are the thumbnail spoilers. Especially terrible in reality shows (wife always complaining about being spoiled in Project Runway Smile ), but can also be a problem in dramas etc. Just knowing that it may be a consideration in the future is fine with me. Thanks again.
I would think the Watchlist feature could be at least a partial solution for this usage scenario? It only shows the latest unwatched episodes of the shows you're watching, and uses a poster image of the tv show, instead of the episode thumbnail.

We've never used anything apart from the regular library views, but maybe using a different list/plugin could work nicely. Thanks.

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - onlinespending - 2014-03-06

Quote:
(2014-03-05, 02:14)onlinespending Wrote: Jeroen. I've always been a huge fan of reFocus and am glad to see it's making a comeback. Absolutely gorgeous and simple. Love the re-design of the homescreen too. Please add Advanced Launcher support (and some nice views) so we can launch video game emulators and other external apps. That would seal the deal for reFocus being the best skin out there

Even though I would like too, this always gets pushed back because I want to do other things more Sad I don't use it myself but it would be nice. I just wonder how big the demand for this actually is.

Judging by the fact that most modern skins support it, I'd say the demand is either high or adding it is rather trivial -- or perhaps both Smile. I know Angelscry, the developer of it, has great documentation on how to add support for it into skins, and he's superb with providing help when asked. Besides emulators it's almost a necessity to launch external applications like Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. I know a lot of Addons make use of it when launching something like Amazon Instant Video in an external browser like Chrome. Personally I think support for external program launching should be rolled into XBMC directly, and make it very trivial for skinners to use. Especially in light of the fact that video addons are constantly breaking and seamlessly launching something like HBO Go, Netflix, or Hulu in an external browser is at least guaranteed to work. Hopefully I nudged you just a bit Big Grin

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - Jeroen - 2014-03-06

(2014-03-06, 19:25)onlinespending Wrote: Judging by the fact that most modern skins support it, I'd say the demand is either high or adding it is rather trivial -- or perhaps both Smile. I know Angelscry, the developer of it, has great documentation on how to add support for it into skins, and he's superb with providing help when asked. Besides emulators it's almost a necessity to launch external applications like Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. I know a lot of Addons make use of it when launching something like Amazon Instant Video in an external browser like Chrome. Personally I think support for external program launching should be rolled into XBMC directly, and make it very trivial for skinners to use. Especially in light of the fact that video addons are constantly breaking and seamlessly launching something like HBO Go, Netflix, or Hulu in an external browser is at least guaranteed to work. Hopefully I nudged you just a bit Big Grin

I looked into supporting it a long time ago, and it was just a lot of work to do properly. Just too much work for something I don't use. If I'm going to need to write views specifically for AA, then I just can't be bothered tbh. In that case I'll say "patch welcome" Wink If I can re-use (parts) of current views, then it's a different story. But maybe it has become easier since then. Other add-ons certainly have gotten easier to support.

So I'll think about looking into it again. There's just plenty of stuff that have more priority though. To the people that use reFocus and want advanced launcher support, make it known in this thread so I can get a sense of the demand.

First prerequisite though is a Gotham compatible version of Advanced Launcher, as the upcoming release of reFocus is Gotham only.

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - onlinespending - 2014-03-06

(2014-03-06, 20:12)Jeroen Wrote: I looked into supporting it a long time ago, and it was just a lot of work to do properly. Just too much work for something I don't use. If I'm going to need to write views specifically for AA, then I just can't be bothered tbh. In that case I'll say "patch welcome" Wink If I can re-use (parts) of current views, then it's a different story. But maybe it has become easier since then. Other add-ons certainly have gotten easier to support.

So I'll think about looking into it again. There's just plenty of stuff that have more priority though. To the people that use reFocus and want advanced launcher support, make it known in this thread so I can get a sense of the demand.

First prerequisite though is a Gotham compatible version of Advanced Launcher, as the upcoming release of reFocus is Gotham only.

OK thanks. Once you release the new version of reFocus I can try and take a look at how straightforward it'd be to add AA support and perhaps help with your efforts.

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - Jeroen - 2014-03-07

(2014-03-06, 16:38)knewknow Wrote: We've never used anything apart from the regular library views, but maybe using a different list/plugin could work nicely. Thanks.

Just to be clear, the add-on that is used for this should be automatically installed with reFocus and available right away. You then just need to enable it in the home menu. I use it all the time, if only because it keeps track of what I am watching.

(2014-03-06, 20:51)onlinespending Wrote: OK thanks. Once you release the new version of reFocus I can try and take a look at how straightforward it'd be to add AA support and perhaps help with your efforts.

I have a feeling the new reFocus version will be released before a new version of AA is released Wink The current version of AA does not work on Gotham.

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - onlinespending - 2014-03-07

(2014-03-07, 12:07)Jeroen Wrote: I have a feeling the new reFocus version will be released before a new version of AA is released Wink The current version of AA does not work on Gotham.

I have used skins with AA support on nightly builds of Gotham without issue. I see he even just released a new version a few days ago, whether or not it's officially Gotham ready I'm not sure. But it certainly worked OK.

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - Jeroen - 2014-03-07

Which nightly are you using? I'm on the March 4 Gotham nightly, and the AA I got from here does not install for me. I get a dependencies not met error.

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - dogzipp - 2014-03-07

Now that Gotham Beta 1 is out, is a great opportunity to get the new Refocus on the hands of lots of testers...

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - onlinespending - 2014-03-08

(2014-03-07, 16:31)Jeroen Wrote: Which nightly are you using? I'm on the March 4 Gotham nightly, and the AA I got from here does not install for me. I get a dependencies not met error.

I can't say for sure since I'm not close to my XBMC box, but I found this thread about installing AA on a Gotham nightly.

Read post #5633 and on.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85724&pid=1624899

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - Jeroen - 2014-03-08

Thanks, that got it running. Unfortunately it doesn't seem there is much support for OSX, if at all. I just can't even figure out how to simply launch an application with it.

All of my .app files (OSX's .exe files) are seen as folders instead of executables. If anyone can point me to a guide or supply a test setup or something that would help.

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - `Black - 2014-03-08

Download this and extract to your userdata/addon_data folder. I made some dummy files just for development.

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - BigDaddyRal - 2014-03-08

I absolutely love this skin. It's fantastic, and I can't wait for the Gotham compatable release. And I love the new homescreen, it is beautiful! I love fullscreen fanart and the clean and professional look of the TV Show for instance. Can't wait!

I do have one request however.

My favorite view is the Gallery because it shows the fanart with the logo imposed over it. However it only does it in the TV view and not the movie view. I'd love for it to use the logo on both.

However more than that, I found these fullscreen fanart views in Nox 4:

Is there any way you could add fullscreen fanart views like these, or similar to the new homescreen, only with logos?

I know nothing about skinning so I don't know if thats a lot to ask or not, I'm hoping it's easy.

I prefer the logo size in the Dexter one, and wish there were perhaps small arrow indicators on the left and right sides of the screen. Or perhaps a number in the upper left like your new homescreen has that says 43 of 200 or whatever. Just to communicate the scrolling direction.

My lady prefers when there are logos on either side so that she can see what movie comes next, but in the Nox view that does that, the logo in the center is much smaller than the ones above, and the ones to either side are nearly the same size. I think a big center logo looks better with the logos to either side being 1/3 or 1/4 the size prevents taking away the focus from the current show/movie.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else would appreciate views like this as much as I would, but I hope so. I'm a big fan of logos.

Thanks again for all your hard work. You are insanely talented and I adore this skin!

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - onlinespending - 2014-03-08

It's not everyday you have the two best skinners in the same room :-) Awesome work Jeroen and 'Black.

I found this post by Angelscry on launching Mac OS X apps.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173052&pid=1505541#pid1505541

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - Jeroen - 2014-03-09

(2014-03-08, 16:29)`Black Wrote: Download this and extract to your userdata/addon_data folder. I made some dummy files just for development.

Thanks Black, much appreciated.

(2014-03-08, 20:31)BigDaddyRal Wrote: I absolutely love this skin. It's fantastic, and I can't wait for the Gotham compatable release. And I love the new homescreen, it is beautiful! I love fullscreen fanart and the clean and professional look of the TV Show for instance. Can't wait!

I do have one request however.

My favorite view is the Gallery because it shows the fanart with the logo imposed over it. However it only does it in the TV view and not the movie view. I'd love for it to use the logo on both.

Yeah I noticed some time ago it only shows them for tv shows. In the next release it will be for movies too.

Quote:However more than that, I found these fullscreen fanart views in Nox 4:

Is there any way you could add fullscreen fanart views like these, or similar to the new homescreen, only with logos?

I know nothing about skinning so I don't know if thats a lot to ask or not, I'm hoping it's easy.
When you set the Gallery viewtype to fullscreen mode, it is kind of like that (plus the logos). It does also show things like the title and plot though. I'm not to keen on adding another variation of a viewtype. I could however consider adding a setting to hide the plot, let me think about that. I'm not hiding the title though, the problem I have with that is when there's no logo available for a certain movie or show, I feel it's inconsistent to then show the title in text.

Quote:I prefer the logo size in the Dexter one, and wish there were perhaps small arrow indicators on the left and right sides of the screen. Or perhaps a number in the upper left like your new homescreen has that says 43 of 200 or whatever. Just to communicate the scrolling direction.
There are indicators (or there should be). But as it's such an art orientated view i decided they shouldn't visible until I think 2 or 3 seconds of idle time. But maybe I should just show them right away now that I think about it.

Quote:My lady prefers when there are logos on either side so that she can see what movie comes next, but in the Nox view that does that, the logo in the center is much smaller than the ones above, and the ones to either side are nearly the same size. I think a big center logo looks better with the logos to either side being 1/3 or 1/4 the size prevents taking away the focus from the current show/movie.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else would appreciate views like this as much as I would, but I hope so. I'm a big fan of logos.

Thanks again for all your hard work. You are insanely talented and I adore this skin!

I'll see what I can do Smile Thanks for your kind words.

(2014-03-08, 20:34)onlinespending Wrote: It's not everyday you have the two best skinners in the same room :-) Awesome work Jeroen and 'Black.

I found this post by Angelscry on launching Mac OS X apps.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173052&pid=1505541#pid1505541
You should visit the skin development forum, we hang out in the same room all the time Wink

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Sorry there's no release yet guys. I was really close to putting it out until I found a really nasty bug (that weirdly only seemed to affect OpenElec) and spent my entire afternoon and part of my evening finding the cause of. I think I got it covered but I'd like to be sure.

RE: reFocus 0.9.5 (Frodo) - bakito - 2014-03-09

(2014-03-06, 13:42)Jeroen Wrote: Thanks guys, I'm feeling a lot better thankfully.

So I've been looking a bit deeper into node support (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176864), previously also mentioned by iDude.

This has given me tons of ideas to incorporate in the new homescreen. It would also drastically reduce the code needed for things like featured episodes / movies. it would also make it easier for me to add more to sources (potentially even online sources) which can be populated on the homescreen. Things can be made more...modular I guess is the word. Which is great.

This probably sounds vague though, so hopefully when some results arise I can show you what I mean.

(2014-03-05, 02:14)onlinespending Wrote: Jeroen. I've always been a huge fan of reFocus and am glad to see it's making a comeback. Absolutely gorgeous and simple. Love the re-design of the homescreen too. Please add Advanced Launcher support (and some nice views) so we can launch video game emulators and other external apps. That would seal the deal for reFocus being the best skin out there

Even though I would like too, this always gets pushed back because I want to do other things more Sad I don't use it myself but it would be nice. I just wonder how big the demand for this actually is.

Well you can count me too for advanced launcher support...I'm using refocus for years in my bedroom because I love the simplicity and the design of this skin ( my wife also and its...something) but I'm not using it in my living room because this computer handle media and games.
Anyway great skin as always ( one question thou, can we still use the old menu or is it only the new one now? I think I prefer the old design ...)
cheers