Kodi Community Forum
v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: reFocus (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Thread: v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=75867)

- Jeroen - 2010-11-10

Sranshaft Wrote:That screenshot actually made me go and download the addon! An excellent view for such amazing photographs. Now I just have to wait for the next update. Laugh

Oh, I also have to say I love what you have in store for the home screen! It just doesn't get any better than that. My only criticism would be, at the moment, it all looks a little crammed together. Have you thought about removing the recent previews until focus is on the Recent menu item? Then have them fade it / slide in from the left. Just an idea but I definitely love the direction you're going with it.

Thanks, yeah I'm still pushing and shoving things around to get to the right sizes and positioning. I made the main row have a smaller font so that it all fits in one overview. This will likely need to be tweaked more to ensure it will work as good as possible with different languages which may have longer words for the items.

Current state:

The different rows will fade when not selected so to give a good visual indication of where you're at.

About not showing the thumbs until hovered, it would definitely cause more clicks. The individual menus remember their last selected item (and this is something I can't change), so when I go from movies to the submenu, and I had genres selected before I would first have to scroll to recent to be able to go to the third row. Right now you can just go there very quickly regardless of what is selected in the submenu. Could be made into an option though.

Another idea is to integrate addons into the menu (ignore the wrong submenu for videos):

This would require quite a lot of new GUI to enable the user to select which add-ons to show here though (how I wish skins could read from the favorites) and since the music entry will show the recently added albums this would only be for video add-ons.
Unless I made a general add-ons entry in the top menu but then it would make the top menu needing even more space.
I thought about making system an icon based entry on the far left though, so that could be a solution.

- mcborzu - 2010-11-10

Jeroen Wrote:This would require quite a lot of new GUI to enable the user to select which add-ons to show here though (how I wish skins could read from the favorites)

They sort of can, the favourite script replicates that behavior....

- starcitysecrets - 2010-11-10

instead of squeezing all of those items on the home menu, can you not just keep movies and tvshows as a submenu of videos like it is now? as much as i like having movies and tvshows as themselves, if it doesnt fit then this is a better idea

i do have to say though, the new menu looks GREAT, id be lying if i said I wasn't excited. Do you know when the new update is going to come out??

- Unitydisconnect - 2010-11-10

starcitysecrets Wrote:instead of squeezing all of those items on the home menu, can you not just keep movies and tvshows as a submenu of videos like it is now? as much as i like having movies and tvshows as themselves, if it doesnt fit then this is a better idea

i do have to say though, the new menu looks GREAT, id be lying if i said I wasn't excited. Do you know when the new update is going to come out??

I actually disagree. I'd rather have the TV Shows and Movies out on the main menu. They're the two things I access most frequently and it's really nice having them accessible. I think the most recent screenshot shows that it still looks great with them in the main menu, not a sub menu.

- IamLegend - 2010-11-10

Jeroen Wrote:Thanks, yeah I'm still pushing and shoving things around to get to the right sizes and positioning. I made the main row have a smaller font so that it all fits in one overview. This will likely need to be tweaked more to ensure it will work as good as possible with different languages which may have longer words for the items.

Current state:

The different rows will fade when not selected so to give a good visual indication of where you're at.

About not showing the thumbs until hovered, it would definitely cause more clicks. The individual menus remember their last selected item (and this is something I can't change), so when I go from movies to the submenu, and I had genres selected before I would first have to scroll to recent to be able to go to the third row. Right now you can just go there very quickly regardless of what is selected in the submenu. Could be made into an option though.

Another idea is to integrate addons into the menu (ignore the wrong submenu for videos):

This would require quite a lot of new GUI to enable the user to select which add-ons to show here though (how I wish skins could read from the favorites) and since the music entry will show the recently added albums this would only be for video add-ons.
Unless I made a general add-ons entry in the top menu but then it would make the top menu needing even more space.
I thought about making system an icon based entry on the far left though, so that could be a solution.

Wow. This skin just keeps getting better and better. Keep up the good work man. Cant wait to get my hands on the new home screen.

- IamLegend - 2010-11-10

Unitydisconnect Wrote:I actually disagree. I'd rather have the TV Shows and Movies out on the main menu. They're the two things I access most frequently and it's really nice having them accessible. I think the most recent screenshot shows that it still looks great with them in the main menu, not a sub menu.

I Agree

- IamLegend - 2010-11-10

Jeroen Wrote:Well, there is a setting for this in XBMC but I'm not aware of any the skin can read that setting. I would much prefer something like in your second image, but if I can't have the skin detect whether the user chose to bring up the video info screen instead of playing the video, it would mean that everyone would see that play button on their posters, even if they have the setting set to display the info screen. That is something I really wouldn't want.

Just an idea but maybe you could ad an option in settings to turn the buttons on or off.

What i like about this one is that i have guests over alot that know nothing about xbmc and having everything right in front of them makes it easy for them to see all their options without me having to be there to tell them how to find cast or trailer options.

I dont know how involved that is or if its even possible to add the option but just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

- MaDDoGo - 2010-11-11

Hi Jeroen,

I have some questions. First of all, new screens are AWE- wait for it -SOME... Please release it as fast as you can, we will help you testing it Smile

Second, I like the IamLegend idea. This is not a big thing (the left menu) but a menu like this will make my life easyer.

And the last thing, I recently installed XBMC subtitles, but I don't know how I have to look for a subtitle :S I have no button or submenu to do this...

I have to tell you again that you are doing a great job.

Cheers!

PS: I'm looking forward the PM with the new strings to translate, meaning the release of the new version is near Big Grin

- Galefury - 2010-11-11

I'd like to request that after you select an option from left side menu, it should close. Right now, after making a change, I have to press right to close the menu.

- Jeroen - 2010-11-12

mcborzu Wrote:They sort of can, the favourite script replicates that behavior....
Hm, I hadn't thought about that. Although thinking about it some more I would also need the favorites to be identified based on content type so that I can divide them across the different menu sections. Also it would be relying solely on an add-on which I prefer to avoid as much as possible. I would prefer the whole recently added stuff to be part of xbmc really.

starcitysecrets Wrote:instead of squeezing all of those items on the home menu, can you not just keep movies and tvshows as a submenu of videos like it is now? as much as i like having movies and tvshows as themselves, if it doesnt fit then this is a better idea
I feel for this alternate menu that would not be a good way to go. The regular homescreen is already quicker to get to stuff (at least for me), because it requires a lesser amount of different key presses. Up or down, that's it. With this menu you already have to go up, down, left or right. If I would put movies and tv shows in a submenu basically it would require yet another submenu to go to thinks like recent, genres, etc. It would become too tedious to navigate imo.

Quote:i do have to say though, the new menu looks GREAT, id be lying if i said I wasn't excited. Do you know when the new update is going to come out??
Well, 0.8.9.5 is coming this weekend. That was not a planned update though, it's there mainly to get rid of the scrollbar bugs and some other fixes.
It will (hopefully) be the last 0.8 update so I can concentrate on 0.9.x which I reserved some of the bigger changes for. So the alternate homescreen won't be in the next update I'm afraid.

IamLegend Wrote:Just an idea but maybe you could ad an option in settings to turn the buttons on or off.

What i like about this one is that i have guests over alot that know nothing about xbmc and having everything right in front of them makes it easy for them to see all their options without me having to be there to tell them how to find cast or trailer options.

I dont know how involved that is or if its even possible to add the option but just thought I'd give my 2 cents.
It's not complicated to code at all, I just haven't made up my mind yet. Making it an option probably isn't going to happen though, I want a universal solution Wink
I don't want all the buttons in the main screen, so one solution would be to move the play and trailer button into the main screen and keep the rest in the side menu. I think it makes sense to separate the main and often used functions from the "maintenance" type buttons like setting poster and fanart.

MaDDoGo Wrote:Hi Jeroen,

I have some questions. First of all, new screens are AWE- wait for it -SOME... Please release it as fast as you can, we will help you testing it Smile
I'll do my best Smile but at this stage it's far from finished. Aside from creating the alternate homescreen I also need to make sure all skin settings play nice with it and make the settings work for the old and new menu universally.
It's going to be part of 0.9.x, where the x is totally unclear at this point Big Grin

Quote:And the last thing, I recently installed XBMC subtitles, but I don't know how I have to look for a subtitle :S I have no button or submenu to do this...
You'll have to go into skin settings->add-ons and select the add-on there. Then, when you're playing a movie or episode you can use the osd to get to the subtitles.

Quote:PS: I'm looking forward the PM with the new strings to translate, meaning the release of the new version is near
Most recent strings file is up on the google code page Smile

Galefury Wrote:I'd like to request that after you select an option from left side menu, it should close. Right now, after making a change, I have to press right to close the menu.
Agreed, I have been looking into this before but I'm not sure how or if it's possible at all.

- Jeroen - 2010-11-12

I've been doing some more home variations (just a mockup this time) and ended up with a very media based homescreen.

I know, it's very simple (but very quickly thrown together) but I kind of like that about it. This home presents your media and that's it. And that kind of is what this application we all love is about isn't it? Of course there could be more than 3 recent items on screen by scrolling left and right.

Of course you would still need access to your settings and such, that could be made into a button in the top left of the screen or something. And if you really want weather, I could put the current weather condition icon next to the time and it could double as a button to get to the weather screen.

This doesn't mean the previously posted concept is off the table or anything, but I guess I'm worried about the navigation on that one to be less than optimal.
Only drawback for the above concept would be no submenus for genres, actors and such to keep that simplicity. I would want to have quick access to the recently added part of the library. That could be the first one to come up when you scroll left or something. Kind of like a "get more" entry.

It's probably too minimal for most, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

- tungmeister - 2010-11-12

Personally I prefer the other implementation as I like the sub-menus and well the entire layout. I also liked the thoughts on methods of displaying add-ons.

- Rad_ - 2010-11-12

Jeroen Wrote:I've been doing some more home variations (just a mockup this time) and ended up with a very media based homescreen.

I think this is much more in tune with the rest of your skin than the earlier mockup. I wasn't fond of the earlier one (mostly because it felt out of place), but am very drawn to this one. I'm still a bit at odds with the explicit movies/shows/videos items since one of the most defining aspects and first things you notice about your skin is that they're nested under one entry on the main menu, but I understand how the recently added stuff adds a level of complexity to the issue.... I have no doubt you'll get it perfectly in the end, though.... You never cease to amaze. Thanks tons for the time and effort.

- Stranger - 2010-11-12

Jeroen Wrote:Image
It's probably too minimal for most

hell no

Jeroen Wrote:This doesn't mean the previously posted concept is off the table or anything, but I guess I'm worried about the navigation on that one to be less than optimal.
Only drawback for the above concept would be no submenus for genres, actors and such to keep that simplicity.

I think this is perfect progression from the previous concept, better than anything I failed to suggest.

I don't think Submenu's are out of the question! you could easily (nicely) have submenu's appear (animated) on a double down displayed just over the top of the recently added items (with a nice blue fade/gradient just like the one in the back of the first concept)

- starcitysecrets - 2010-11-13

maybe the submenus could be accessed by pressing up, so the submenu's are above? and then by pressing down you can access the recently added. i agree that weather and settings should be minimal. perhaps you could put current conditions and a settings button at the bottom right where its out of the way but still visible?

crudely edited paintjob

the weather at the bottom is selectable along with settings