Kodi Community Forum
No resume form standby with vista remote after 2.6.32-23 #37 Kernel version - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: No resume form standby with vista remote after 2.6.32-23 #37 Kernel version (/showthread.php?tid=76944)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

No resume form standby with vista remote after 2.6.32-23 #37 Kernel version - alanwww1 - 2010-07-10

With latest Ubuntu kernel upgrade (2.6.32-23 #37) i lost the ability to resume the computer from standby WITH the Vista Remote. With the power button it resumes perfectly. It seems that somehow the receiver does not get enough power to receive the signals.

Reverting back to kernel 2.6.32-22 immediately solves the problem.

I tried it with two different hardware and two different installations with the SAME results. It does not depend on xbmc. The results are the same with suspending from the OS itself.

Has anyone experienced this ? Is it the same situation with other remotes ?
Has anyone having resume with remote with 2.6.32-23 #37 kernel version.

You can check the kernel version with

Code:
uname -r -v

Please give me some feedback to confirm this problem so that i can start an Ubuntu BUG report.

Cheers, Alan

- decaturguy - 2010-07-10

I have similar issue with Archlinux. Three weeks ago i bought a larger hard drive and reinstalled. The only major changes since the harddrive swap is the kernel 2.6.33 to 2.6.34.
I can wake it from USB keyboard but not from MCE remote.
I tried sudo sh -c 'echo "USBX" > /proc/acpi/wakeup'
X = USB0 to 4 and it doesn't work. I haven't tested with kernel 2.6.33 with my new setup and i don't wanna go back to kernel 2.6.33 and recompile the packages that are depended on certain kernel version like lirc.
I actually upgraded the kernel last night to 2.6.34.1 but i haven't yet tested the resume, I'll try later and post an update if the problem is fixed or not.

Edit:
It doesn't work with 2.6.34.1 Sad

- alanwww1 - 2010-07-10

decaturguy Wrote:I have similar issue with Archlinux. Three weeks ago i bought a larger hard drive and reinstalled. The only major changes since the harddrive swap is the kernel 2.6.33 to 2.6.34.
I can wake it from USB keyboard but not from MCE remote.
I tried sudo sh -c 'echo "USBX" > /proc/acpi/wakeup'
X = USB0 to 4 and it doesn't work. I haven't tested with kernel 2.6.33 with my new setup and i don't wanna go back to kernel 2.6.33 and recompile the packages that are depended on certain kernel version like lirc.
I actually upgraded the kernel last night to 2.6.34.1 but i haven't yet tested the resume, I'll try later and post an update if the problem is fixed or not.

Edit:
It doesn't work with 2.6.34.1 Sad

Thanks for the feedback.

I think there was a change in Linux kernel which was backported to 2.6.32 as well. (At least on Ubuntu). Than this is not specific to Ubuntu distro as i see now. Maybe we should make the bugreport to the kernel developers.

First i would like to see more experiences to make sure what went wrong.

More feedbacks are welcome.

- AaronD - 2010-07-10

I'm not sure what kernel version this is, but I and a number of other people have reported the same thing with the new 10.08 XBMCLive build from XBMCFreak. Many people are complaining that resume from remote is not working, as mentioned in this thread.

My own experience is that it resumes from mouse and keyboard but not from my MCE remote. I find the red light on the front of the receiver doesn't even flash when in suspend, so your comments on not getting enough power would make sense.

- burritoboy9984 - 2010-07-10

I had a similar problem after updating last week, don't recall the kernel version etc... but I found this post which had the solution to my issue. I don't know if this is the answer to your problem or not, but worth a try? Smile

Quote:sudo apt-get install hal policykit-1 devicekit-power acpid acpi-support pm-utils policykit

then:

sudo nano /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla

[Actions for xbmc user]
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
Action=org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.*;org.freed esktop.consolekit.system.*
ResultActive=yes
ResultAny=auth_admin
ResultInactive=yes

then:

sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions

-Erik

- Wraul - 2010-07-10

I have experienced this problem for a while now and done some searching for a solution.
As far as I can tell it's this commit to 2.6.33.4 that causes the troublesome behavior.

Quote:commit 2b454d9a5f0507c1bc3f01c06a2e6c464d2a2641
Author: Alan Stern <stern@ROWLAND.harvard.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 30 12:09:23 2010 -0400

USB: fix remote wakeup settings during system sleep

This is a backport of commit 5f677f1d45b2bf08085bbba7394392dfa586fa8e.
Some of the functionality had to be removed, but it should still fix
the webcam problem.

This patch (as1363b) changes the way USB remote wakeup is handled
during system sleeps. It won't be enabled unless an interface driver
specifically needs it. Also, it won't be enabled during the FREEZE or
QUIESCE phases of hibernation, when the system doesn't respond to
wakeup events anyway.

This will fix problems people have reported with certain USB webcams
that generate wakeup requests when they shouldn't, and as a result
cause system suspends to fail. See

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/515109

Signed-off-by: Alan Stern <stern@ROWLAND.harvard.edu>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email protected]>

So I guess it is intended to work this way and we need an update to the remote driver before it becomes functional again.
BTW it isn't working in 2.6.34.1 either.

- alanwww1 - 2010-07-11

@Wraul:
Thanks for the info, but shouldn't we make a notice to the developers of kernel or the lirc developers ? Maybe they don't even know about it. They solved an issue with webcams but they created a much more serious one :-(

@burritoboy9984:
Thanks for the info, but what you are writing is a solution for people who can not put their system into sleep with the remote. With us this is not the case.

- RockDawg - 2010-07-11

I have the same problem with 2.6.32-23.

EDIT: How do you revert to a previous kernel?

- burritoboy9984 - 2010-07-11

alanwww1 Wrote:@burritoboy9984:
Thanks for the info, but what you are writing is a solution for people who can not put their system into sleep with the remote. With us this is not the case.

Oohh ya, that was my problem. My bad. Good luck!

-Erik

- alanwww1 - 2010-07-11

RockDawg Wrote:I have the same problem with 2.6.32-23.

EDIT: How do you revert to a previous kernel?

You can revert by:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.32-23-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-23-generic
sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic

You might need to reinstall the nvidia driver

Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-current

- RockDawg - 2010-07-11

Thanks do much! That fixed it. Quick question. I don't know much about Linux. If I upgrade XBMC by :

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Will that upgrade my kernel?

- alanwww1 - 2010-07-11

RockDawg Wrote:Thanks do much! That fixed it. Quick question. I don't know much about Linux. If I upgrade XBMC by :

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Will that upgrade my kernel?

I think if linux-image-generic and linux-headers-generic are removed the kernel won't be updated because these always point to the newest kernel package. When you removed the 23 version kernel it automatically removed these two packages i think.

- Wraul - 2010-07-11

alanwww1 Wrote:@Wraul:
Thanks for the info, but shouldn't we make a notice to the developers of kernel or the lirc developers ? Maybe they don't even know about it. They solved an issue with webcams but they created a much more serious one :-(

I agree with you, to me the current problem is much more serious than the webacam issue. I guess those who experienced the random wake from suspend due to webcams won't agree though Rolleyes

I guess the lirc developers is the ones that should be informed. I was kinda hoping someone else would have done that by now though Blush

- alanwww1 - 2010-07-11

Wraul Wrote:I agree with you, to me the current problem is much more serious than the webacam issue. I guess those who experienced the random wake from suspend due to webcams won't agree though Rolleyes
I guess the lirc developers is the ones that should be informed. I was kinda hoping someone else would have done that by now though Blush

Or at least there should be some kind of a workaround for this problem. I mean it ruins htpc users' experience from kernel 2.6.32 to possibly 2.6.35

- decaturguy - 2010-07-11

looks like mceusb driver will be included in kernel 2.6.36
[url=http://git.wilsonet.com/linux-2.6-ir-wip.git/?a=commit;[url="http://git.wilsonet.com/linux-2.6-ir-wip.git/?a=commit;h=c57325a5f7651b06ab908d1629fddf7dc70073c3]http://git.wilsonet.com/linux-2.6-ir-wip.git/?a=commit;h=c57325a5f7651b06ab908d1629fddf7dc70073c3[/url]
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=lirc-list&max_rows=25&style=nested&viewmonth=201006&viewday=11
Any good composer that wanna write to mceusb module writer about resume situation here is his email address jarod at wilsonet dot com