Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

- Jyujinkai - 2010-11-25

Ok this gets a little complex.... so I will try to make it make sense....

I can get the Harmoney One (a universal remote) to work fine in XBMClive when emulating the MCE Remote BUT not when emulating the MCE Keyboard. So all MCE Remote commands work fine.....

I am still trying to get the MCE Keyboard working.

BUT as i have the remote working is it possible in a XBMC config file or something to change what the MCE Remote Buttons do? As there is a number of buttons I do not need or use, so instead of trying to get the MCE Keyboard workign I could remap those buttons in XBMC to the functions I wish to have acess to....\

dose that make sense?

Q1 - How do I get the MCE Keyboard functioning in XBMClive (best solutions)
Q2 - Can I change though a config file in XBMC what function each MCE remote button dose?

- bodhi - 2010-11-25

Jyujinkai Wrote:Ok this gets a little complex.... so I will try to make it make sense....

I can get the Harmoney One (a universal remote) to work fine in XBMClive when emulating the MCE Remote BUT not when emulating the MCE Keyboard. So all MCE Remote commands work fine.....

I am still trying to get the MCE Keyboard working.

BUT as i have the remote working is it possible in a XBMC config file or something to change what the MCE Remote Buttons do? As there is a number of buttons I do not need or use, so instead of trying to get the MCE Keyboard workign I could remap those buttons in XBMC to the functions I wish to have acess to....\

dose that make sense?

Q1 - How do I get the MCE Keyboard functioning in XBMClive (best solutions)
Q2 - Can I change though a config file in XBMC what function each MCE remote button dose?

Q1 - I think you'll get answer quicker posting at the XBMC Live subforum (this thread is Windows-specific Big Grin).

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=52

Q2 - On Windows XBMC settings, there is a file named "remote.xml" that you can modify and put it in your "userdata" directory to overide the default settings. It should be similar in XBMC Live.

- eriksmith200 - 2010-11-26

I reinstalled windows 7, reinstalled xbmc but now suddenly most keys on my logitech harmony 525 are no longer working. Some of the letter keys, like 't' for subtitles still work, but up/down, media keys, and numbers no longer work (both in Windows and in XBMC). Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong or missing?

[edit]For the keys that no longer work, the red led on th HP IR receiver doesn't light up. Additional info: I previously had Windows 7 Professional installed, now I have Ultimate. I backed up my userdata folder before reinstalling, and placed it back, and all settings are as I left them. Using Dharma RC1, same as before reinstall. [/edit]

[edit2]This is weird: the individual MCE devices on my remote work fine, but in the activity all the buttons except the ones in the menu (the screen with the buttons next to it) do not send an IR signal. Has anyone experienced this? I did change one key in the logitech software while I was installing windows[/edit2]

- bodhi - 2010-11-27

eriksmith200 Wrote:I reinstalled windows 7, reinstalled xbmc but now suddenly most keys on my logitech harmony 525 are no longer working. Some of the letter keys, like 't' for subtitles still work, but up/down, media keys, and numbers no longer work (both in Windows and in XBMC). Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong or missing?

[edit]For the keys that no longer work, the red led on th HP IR receiver doesn't light up. Additional info: I previously had Windows 7 Professional installed, now I have Ultimate. I backed up my userdata folder before reinstalling, and placed it back, and all settings are as I left them. Using Dharma RC1, same as before reinstall. [/edit]

[edit2]This is weird: the individual MCE devices on my remote work fine, but in the activity all the buttons except the ones in the menu (the screen with the buttons next to it) do not send an IR signal. Has anyone experienced this? I did change one key in the logitech software while I was installing windows[/edit2]

Try restart Windows, and re update your Harmony remote 525. I ran into a similar problem a while back after I've updated my Harmony remote, and it was back to normal after done that.

- eriksmith200 - 2010-11-27

bodhi Wrote:Try restart Windows, and re update your Harmony remote 525. I ran into a similar problem a while back after I've updated my Harmony remote, and it was back to normal after done that.

I tried a few reboots and re-updates but that didn't help. Finally I created a new identical activity, and now the old and the new activity work Undecided
Just a weird temporary glitch...

- Jyujinkai - 2010-11-27

bodhi Wrote:Q2 - On Windows XBMC settings, there is a file named "remote.xml" that you can modify and put it in your "userdata" directory to overide the default settings. It should be similar in XBMC Live.

there is no file in there at the moment... so do i need to make one from scratch? If so do i only need to make the xml file contain the bits i want to change.. or do I need to find the default settings as a xml file and then edit that?

- bodhi - 2010-11-27

Jyujinkai Wrote:there is no file in there at the moment... so do i need to make one from scratch? If so do i only need to make the xml file contain the bits i want to change.. or do I need to find the default settings as a xml file and then edit that?

Here is the wiki describing where the keymap xml files (both keyboard.xml and remote.xml) are in the "system" and "userdata" directories.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keymap.xml

What I did to add customization was: after I found the file in the "system" directory, I copied it to the "userdata" directory, and then strip out everything except one for a template and redefine the key that I need to change. The same concept applies to remote.xml. Here is what's in my keyboard.xml file. This defines the keyboard "h" key to AudioNextLanguage in order to select the audio stream when there are multiple audio streams encoded in the file.

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <h>AudioNextLanguage</h>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

- Gialandon - 2010-11-29

Great thread, I just came upon it and just in time as my harmony should be arriving in the mail in the next few days.

I am currently using a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. It comes with a wireless reciever (usb stick) does anyone know if this would be compatible with the harmony?

- bodhi - 2010-11-29

Gialandon Wrote:Great thread, I just came upon it and just in time as my harmony should be arriving in the mail in the next few days.

I am currently using a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. It comes with a wireless reciever (usb stick) does anyone know if this would be compatible with the harmony?

Most likely not. Logitech wireless KB & mouse receivers are RF. Harmony remotes (most of) are IR, unless you use 900 or the table top 1xxx. Even Harmony RF remotes are at different frequency than the Logitech, iirc. So program as much as you can to the Harmony remote, and then use the keyboard for complicated tasks on desktop.

- slaffe - 2010-11-29

Anyone fixed the lag/delay when using the remote? I got a 700 and the delay irritates me as much so i might consider throwing the remote away.

Can't even find where to change the delay of the remote.. anyone?

- relayer35 - 2010-11-29

slaffe Wrote:Anyone fixed the lag/delay when using the remote? I got a 700 and the delay irritates me as much so i might consider throwing the remote away.

Can't even find where to change the delay of the remote.. anyone?

The problem is probably not the Harmony itself, but the receiver you are using on your PC.

You can adjust the delay settings by using the Logitech software, and going to devices, selecting your device, selecting More Options, then select Adjust The Delays (speed settings).

I use my Harmony in combination with an Antec Veris IR controller (rebadged iMon) and find the response to be very snappy.

Harmony 785 with onboard IR sensor - vbat99 - 2010-11-29

OK, please let me know if this is the wrong area for this question.

I'm trying to get my harmony to work with the onboard IR sensor of a Acer Laptop, or ultimately, the IR Kitset I built that connects to the IRDA connector on my Shuttle Motherboard.

I've read/re-read tons of posts. even IR/RF Remote Control for Windows: Links to Explanations, Tutorials, and Guides

Tried EventGhost and WinLirc. Non of these seem to recognise the IR Sensor onboard. Why use this sensor? Wake on IR supported in bios.

SO, Please, someone point me in the direction I need to get this sorted. There must be a wayWink

- slaffe - 2010-11-29

relayer35 Wrote:The problem is probably not the Harmony itself, but the receiver you are using on your PC.

You can adjust the delay settings by using the Logitech software, and going to devices, selecting your device, selecting More Options, then select Adjust The Delays (speed settings).

I use my Harmony in combination with an Antec Veris IR controller (rebadged iMon) and find the response to be very snappy.

In this case it is the remote that is being slow. I get the same delay on my TV when using my Harmony.. :S
In Logitech Software the ms is set to 0ms, this remote is worthless with this delay. Will return it to the store i bought it from.

- bodhi - 2010-11-29

vbat99 Wrote:OK, please let me know if this is the wrong area for this question.

I'm trying to get my harmony to work with the onboard IR sensor of a Acer Laptop, or ultimately, the IR Kitset I built that connects to the IRDA connector on my Shuttle Motherboard.

I've read/re-read tons of posts. even IR/RF Remote Control for Windows: Links to Explanations, Tutorials, and Guides

Tried EventGhost and WinLirc. Non of these seem to recognise the IR Sensor onboard. Why use this sensor? Wake on IR supported in bios.

SO, Please, someone point me in the direction I need to get this sorted. There must be a wayWink

I think your best bet is to ask for help at the Logitech Harmony forum. I've found that the supports there quite good. They probably will ask for the model name of that IR sensor and add to your setup account. As far as we know here the RC6 receiver works fine. But without knowing the exact model name it's hard to tell.

- bodhi - 2010-11-29

slaffe Wrote:In this case it is the remote that is being slow. I get the same delay on my TV when using my Harmony.. :S
In Logitech Software the ms is set to 0ms, this remote is worthless with this delay. Will return it to the store i bought it from.

In case you don't already know, there are 4 types of delay, and they need to be set in the Device page (not activity).