Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

- onclebob - 2010-07-21

hi, i have a question about the navigation feeling using you're configuration:

Actually i use an Xbox IR dongle coupled with my hamony and eventghost doing interface with XBMC. It works but bad buttons repeat or false input often happens.

Using the RC-6 dongle does it have a real smooth navigation? (Do you feel the common Harmony lag?)

Thank you,
David

- Flomaster - 2010-07-21

onclebob Wrote:hi, i have a question about the navigation feeling using you're configuration:

Actually i use an Xbox IR dongle coupled with my hamony and eventghost doing interface with XBMC. It works but bad buttons repeat or false input often happens.

Using the RC-6 dongle does it have a real smooth navigation? (Do you feel the common Harmony lag?)

Thank you,
David

what common harmony lag do you speak of? I think you just need to manual adjust your delay if you experience "lag" when I press a button I get an INSTANT reaction

-=Jason=-

- vanOert - 2010-07-21

I did and do not experience any lack in my configuration.

- Handa - 2010-07-21

Should work, too bad I can't test. Did you think anything about the Shutdown button vanOert?

Edit: Ops, Exit should be S to bring up the Shutdown-menu and Menu should be C to bring up context-menu.

And what do you guys use the Guide-button for?

Will probably put Autohotkey script that restarts XBMC on Red. Green to switch between XBMC and Kylo and rest I am not sure of yet.

- vanOert - 2010-07-21

In my config, prev-button is backspace. Careful though, cause this behaviour differs from skin to skin.

Shutdown/Exit is on my to-do-list. ;-)

Also, I thought about setting "channel+" and "channel-" to "page up" and "page down" for faster scrolling. What do you think?

- gswarriorfan - 2010-07-21

When I first set my Harmony 670 up, there was quite a bit of delay. I went into the settings and changed the delays to 100ms instead of the default 1000ms. Then I went into the Troubleshoot section and was able to change the retries from 3 to 1. Basically followed these directions:

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Harmony_Support#Step_4_-_.2A.2A_optional_.2A.2A_Configuring_Delays

- Handa - 2010-07-21

vanOert Wrote:In my config, prev-button is backspace. Careful though, cause this behaviour differs from skin to skin.

Shutdown/Exit is on my to-do-list. ;-)

Also, I thought about setting "channel+" and "channel-" to "page up" and "page down" for faster scrolling. What do you think?

Yeah, I have it to Esc because Shade-skin just goes to the Title, Genre etc list when pressing backspace. But you can just change all the buttons in keymaps for XBMC so doesn't really matter.

Good idea with the channel buttons. Any idea for the Guide-button?

- sufreak - 2010-07-21

Here are my mappings. As I mentioned, I used pure keyboard commands so I could not interfere with WMC, as well as compatibility with any version. I did map F7 to launch XBMC via the shortcut trick.

Any suggestions for mapping a shutdown?

- vanOert - 2010-07-21

Mapping shutdown:

(1) Auto Hotkey some F-Key to Alt+F4
(2) Create a key sequence in Harmony CP (such as "s (shutdown-menu) --> directionright --> ... --> enter")
(3) Edit your keymap.xml to support shutdown from a specific key

3 is my favorite, though i'll have yet to find out how to do it.

- sufreak - 2010-07-21

If you figure out #3, let me know. I'll check out idea 2 for now.

- Handa - 2010-07-21

AutoHotkey script for restarting XBMC, just remove two last lines if you just need shutdown.

Code:
^x::
process, close, xbmc.exe
Sleep, 2000
run "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe"

Bind it to for example F12.

But I would like to use the Shutdown-key available on my Harmony to shutdown XBMC. Sad

Edit:

Made new script that shutdown XBMC if it exists and open it if it doesn't.

Code:
SetTitleMatchMode 3

F12::
IfWinExist XBMC
{
   process, close, xbmc.exe
}
else
{
   run "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe"
}

- vanOert - 2010-07-21

Handa: The shutdown key on the Harmony isn't designed to be used with a function; it's there to end an activity and deactivate all devices as set.

Does anyone know if there is an action I can use for exiting xbmc? If I have that I can just bind it to F10 or whatever and that to the remote.

- vanOert - 2010-07-22

Just a quick update: I've contacted Logitech, they want to do a special profile for xbmc, I am currently waiting for a button template so we can work out the best action set.

- sufreak - 2010-07-22

That would be great. I made 1 or 2 slight modifications to my mapping. I'd love to work with you on this. Especially from a n00b perspective.

- waverz - 2010-07-28

vanOert Wrote:Just a quick update: I've contacted Logitech, they want to do a special profile for xbmc, I am currently waiting for a button template so we can work out the best action set.

Dude, that would be great! I am on my second MCE remote and am struggling with getting my 880 programmed to do everything I want.

The first remote I got wouldn't act as a MCE keyboard but worked nicely as a remote. The problem was I couldn't do things like I could with a keyboard like subtitle toggle and display codec info so I bought a second remote. For some reason XBMC isn't responding to the commands...a XBMC profile built into the harmony software would be GREAT!