Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

- sufreak - 2011-03-02

dragomanjk Wrote:That guide still doesn't list MCE Keyboard SE and I thought the MCE Remote had nothing that the MCE Keyboard didn't... redundant.

They have plenty of differences. As soon as I have a chance, I can list a few

- huttdes - 2011-03-10

Ok... my problems :-)

First of all the setup. I followed the set up on the new thread. There are a couple differences in the device setup.
In the new thread it says to setup device one as 'Windows Media Center SE' and name xbmc (sw) and the second as 'Windows Media Center' and name keyboard

The original guide has 'Windows Media Center' and 'MCE Keyboard'.... the big difference being the keyboard one....
Following the new guide I did not have most of the options for mapping the keys.
I had to use the original for this to work....

Now the big problem. Got the devices all installed. Keys mapped. Hit XBMC on my Harmony 900... tv comes on, receiver comes on... but nothing for xbmc works. This is the remote I bought.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M56DI0
The remote works fine from Amazon if I use it but my Logitech is not working with it.

On a side note and this probably means nothing.... during setup it asks 'What input or channel does your Microsoft MCE Remote need to be on?' I assumed the only logical choice for this was 'I don't need to set the input on my Microsoft MCE Remote' ...Also asks this for the second device.

Anyway... any thoughts?

EDIT>>>>>Ok, just noticed this. On the Logitech's blaster... on the devices that work (receiver, tv)... when I press any button the status light on the blaster flashes. It doesn't do anything when I press any of the XBMC keys so it is not even sending a signal to the pc's ir receiver. Might I have an incompatible remote?

2nd edit.... now that I look at this generic ass box this thing came it... I can't even find a brand name on it. It just says 'PC remote'... MCE not mentioned anywhere. I have a feeling I will be ordering another remote. This one perhaps? http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299710518&sr=1-1........actually maybe I am just hungry and frustrated.... it does say Windows MCE at the bottom....if this even matters....

- bodhi - 2011-03-10

huttdes Wrote:Ok... my problems :-)

First of all the setup. I followed the set up on the new thread. There are a couple differences in the device setup.
In the new thread it says to setup device one as 'Windows Media Center SE' and name xbmc (sw) and the second as 'Windows Media Center' and name keyboard

The original guide has 'Windows Media Center' and 'MCE Keyboard'.... the big difference being the keyboard one....
Following the new guide I did not have most of the options for mapping the keys.
I had to use the original for this to work....

Now the big problem. Got the devices all installed. Keys mapped. Hit XBMC on my Harmony 900... tv comes on, receiver comes on... but nothing for xbmc works. This is the remote I bought.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M56DI0
The remote works fine from Amazon if I use it but my Logitech is not working with it.

On a side note and this probably means nothing.... during setup it asks 'What input or channel does your Microsoft MCE Remote need to be on?' I assumed the only logical choice for this was 'I don't need to set the input on my Microsoft MCE Remote' ...Also asks this for the second device.

Anyway... any thoughts?

EDIT>>>>>Ok, just noticed this. On the Logitech's blaster... on the devices that work (receiver, tv)... when I press any button the status light on the blaster flashes. It doesn't do anything when I press any of the XBMC keys so it is not even sending a signal to the pc's ir receiver. Might I have an incompatible remote?

2nd edit.... now that I look at this generic ass box this thing came it... I can't even find a brand name on it. It just says 'PC remote'... MCE not mentioned anywhere. I have a feeling I will be ordering another remote. This one perhaps? http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299710518&sr=1-1........actually maybe I am just hungry and frustrated.... it does say Windows MCE at the bottom....if this even matters....

This remote/receiver combo is not RC6. To set this up, find the device name Chinavision CVSB-983 in the Harmony database.

This is very limited comparing to RC6 remote. To take advantage of everything discussed here, you'll need a RC6 receiver (no need to have the remote, just the receiver). However, the Chinavision will give you a basic set of commands to get it going. It will work.

Later, find a RC6 remote on Ebay, it only costs under $20, and you will be able to program all the Function keys, Control keys, Alt keys,...

- huttdes - 2011-03-10

Thanks bodhi. I'd like to get this running by the weekend. Is the link to Amazon that posted at the end for the other remote compatible? I have prime shipping through Amazon and can get it overnighted for $4.

Ebay has them listed as RC6 remotes but like I said I would rather get from Amazon but they do not say on theirs which are and are not.... Someone have a link to one that will work on Amazon that is eligible for Prime shipping?

- vanOert - 2011-03-10

From the looks of it you should be fine with the amazon one. Did you try and search for rc6 directly?

To be sure, I would look for a MCE branded one (green button with windows logo :-D )

- vanOert - 2011-03-10

balforth Wrote:So I've found a few posts on the internets about the "Comma" / "<" problem, but not one resolution.

Is anybody else having this problem?

Regardless if I assing "Comma" or "<" to the skip back button, if you go into notepad, it sends "<".

Also, what is the default behavior for skipback? I would assume that it would just jump back a minute or two. I made a custom keymap file and changed the binding on that to "b", however when we're watching a show and you hit skip back, it starts the show over from the beginningHuh I'm thinking about just mapping it to DirectionLeft instead. Anybody else do this?

My Skip Back button is mapped to the "Replay" Button of the MCE remote profile. Don't ask me why it is called replay, it works. Huh

I did run into that problem too (comma and stuff), don't know exactly how i figured that out anymore though. Just try replay

Default behaviour for skip back should be just what you described. think cd player, dude. ;-)

- sufreak - 2011-03-10

vanOert Wrote:My Skip Back button is mapped to the "Replay" Button of the MCE remote profile. Don't ask me why it is called replay, it works. Huh

I did run into that problem too (comma and stuff), don't know exactly how i figured that out anymore though. Just try replay

Default behaviour for skip back should be just what you described. think cd player, dude. ;-)

I think the Replay/skip back issue comes from what preference you want. I, coming from a Tivo history, like the 30 second skip/7 second replay. Other people prefer Next Track/Previous track.

I'll be sure to put that into the instructions as alternate commands. Or, default commands and make mine the alternate. What do more people prefer?

- bodhi - 2011-03-10

huttdes Wrote:Thanks bodhi. I'd like to get this running by the weekend. Is the link to Amazon that posted at the end for the other remote compatible? I have prime shipping through Amazon and can get it overnighted for $4.

Ebay has them listed as RC6 remotes but like I said I would rather get from Amazon but they do not say on theirs which are and are not.... Someone have a link to one that will work on Amazon that is eligible for Prime shipping?

I'm not familiar with the Amazon's one in your post. So can't tell for sure. But you can search for RC6 on Amazon and a few will turn up. Here are 2 Dell's brand:

This remote and receiver combo has RC6 prominently on top:
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-Microsoft-Center-Kit/dp/B003QQOHZ4/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1299727576&sr=8-16

This receiver mentioned RC6 below in the product description:
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Microsoft-Premium-Receiver-OVU412002/dp/B0041EATS4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1299727576&sr=8-6

They tend to be a little more expensive than ones on Ebay. But you do have peace of mind buying from Amazon. Since they claim RC6, if it does not work like RC6, you can return at no cost.

- balforth - 2011-03-10

sufreak Wrote:I think the Replay/skip back issue comes from what preference you want. I, coming from a Tivo history, like the 30 second skip/7 second replay. Other people prefer Next Track/Previous track.

I'll be sure to put that into the instructions as alternate commands. Or, default commands and make mine the alternate. What do more people prefer?
Thanks guys...

Unfortunately, when my family thinks of using skip back, they think of DirecTV, SlingPlayer, and our PS3/DVD/BD player -- not a CD player (do people still use CDs in a CD player to listen to music?).

When I hit skip back while watching a DVD/BD on my PS3, it goes to the start of the chapter. When I hit skip back on my DirecTV box, or on my SlingPlayer while watching TV, it jumps back a minute or so. I get it that TV shows aren't chaptered, so technically from within XBMC it makes sense that it goes back to the start of the TV show, but functionally, it goes against what I would guess 99% of the population are used to. It would almost seem that XBMC would need to have a special button that would change modes for that command to work as I described -- chapter jump for movies, little incremental time jump for TV shows.

So for now, I just mapped it to my left arrow button. My wife goes right for the skip back button every time -- for some reason she's biased against the seek back button... so when it starts the current TV show over from the beginning I'm at risk of having my $170 Harmony remote thrown against the wall. Smile

- huttdes - 2011-03-10

balforth Wrote:Thanks guys...

Unfortunately, when my family thinks of using skip back, they think of DirecTV, SlingPlayer, and our PS3/DVD/BD player -- not a CD player (do people still use CDs in a CD player to listen to music?).

When I hit skip back while watching a DVD/BD on my PS3, it goes to the start of the chapter. When I hit skip back on my DirecTV box, or on my SlingPlayer while watching TV, it jumps back a minute or so. I get it that TV shows aren't chaptered, so technically from within XBMC it makes sense that it goes back to the start of the TV show, but functionally, it goes against what I would guess 99% of the population are used to. It would almost seem that XBMC would need to have a special button that would change modes for that command to work as I described -- chapter jump for movies, little incremental time jump for TV shows.

So for now, I just mapped it to my left arrow button. My wife goes right for the skip back button every time -- for some reason she's biased against the seek back button... so when it starts the current TV show over from the beginning I'm at risk of having my $170 Harmony remote thrown against the wall. Smile

Actually tv show are chaptered if you rip them from dvd's. I use MakeMKV to rip my tv show dvd's and all chapters are preserved.

- vanOert - 2011-03-11

balforth Wrote:Thanks guys...

Believe it or not, I actually use my CD player exclusively to do that. Mainly because it doesn't do anything else really. ;-)

Also, we don't have slingplayers or directv in germany. Rolleyes

- danb123 - 2011-03-12

Hi,

Been through this thread page by page and used to it to set-up my harmony just the way I want it ...... almost.

I've got buttons that link to movies, update library, smsjump etc. But what I would like is a button that opens up my smart play list for high def films. Can this be done?

Sorry if this has been covered but I've searched a fair bit so I'm hoping not.

Thanks,
Dan.

- hatbrox - 2011-03-13

Hi,

I've been trying to configure the harmony software using the new post (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063&highlight=harmony)

but I can't assign any Standard Buttons.
While guide always refer to keyboard keys like End, Home PageDown, my harmony software only offers me command like "Blue" Green", "Channel Up"...
nothing that match a keyboard.

So I think I got the MCE Keyboard device setup wrong.
And yet, I did the device setup 4 times now and I still can't see commands for a keyboard.

This is how I set up the MCE keyboard device:
In the Device Tab, I click "Add Device"
1. in the Device field, I choose Computer-> Media Center PC
2. in the manufacturer field, I choose Microsoft
3. in the model field, I type: Windows Media Center
4. I click: Next
5. I click: Next (again)
6. I see the Device List again
7. My new device is called: Media Center PC
8. I click: Settings (from my "Media Center PC" device)
9. I click: rename this deive
10. I click: Next
11. I rename this device to: MCE Keyboard

Where do you specify this device should behave like a keyboard?

Thanks

- bodhi - 2011-03-13

hatbrox Wrote:Hi,

3. in the model field,

Model should be MCE Keyboard.

- StefanM - 2011-03-13

I am really lost, in why my setup is not working. I have followed the new quide, in every way, but still xbmc and win7 will not accept keystrokes when using an activity. For instance I have setup Start XBMC as in the new guide, but nothing is happening. I have set button "ok" to enter, but nothing is happening. But if I jump to devices and XBMC (sw) all of my presses will not be registred correct.

It is as if my keymaps are not registrering untill I go to devices... What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: What I have done. Whenever possible I have used MCE remote, mapping all functions and it is now working. But still I cannot use keystrokes, to for instance start (win+1) and shut down xbmc (alt+f4)... WTF, do any of you guys have an idea, what I am doing wrong?