Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

- bodhi - 2011-05-15

kokoro Wrote:Hi Bodhi, thanks for your quick reply. I've tried every views available in confluence skin, in videos->movies,files and library modes. I've tried poster wrap, fanart, mediainfo,mediainfo2,list,tumbnail. I unroll the left pane, click misc options->search and all I get in the search field when I hit the 1-9 keys is:
&é"'(§è!çà. I don't understand what i'm doing wrong. I've even tried with aeon Nox skin with the same results. Thanks for your patience, I appreciate that Wink

Kokoro,

Did you first make sure that the jump works in list mode like you expect it to work? i.e. jumping to the corresponding section of the file names correctly?

Also, I've noticed you said you've copied the keyboard.xml file to userdata and modified it. If you did, try to have a small keyboard.xml file with only the redefinition of the keys you need. This is my entire keyboard.xml file in userdata area:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <h>AudioNextLanguage</h>
      <k>ActivateWindow(Favourites)</k>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
  <MyVideoLibrary>    
   <keyboard>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
   </keyboard>
  </MyVideoLibrary>
  <MyVideoFiles>
    <keyboard>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
    </keyboard>
  </MyVideoFiles>
  <MyMusicFiles>
    <keyboard>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
    </keyboard>  
  </MyMusicFiles>
  <MyMusicLibrary>
    <keyboard>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
    </keyboard>
  </MyMusicLibrary>
  <VirtualKeyboard>
    <keyboard>
      <two>Number2</two>
      <three>Number3</three>
      <four>Number4</four>
      <five>Number5</five>
      <six>Number6</six>
      <seven>Number7</seven>
      <eight>Number8</eight>
      <nine>Number9</nine>
    </keyboard>
  </VirtualKeyboard>
</keymap>

- v0va - 2011-05-16

Guys, I'm still getting a delay with Harmony One and XBMC, is there any way around this? I hope its a simple solution that won't require me to look through 43 pages. I've tried messing around with the delay settings and no luck. Has anyone actually been able to get the harmony one to work smoothly with their HTPC.

Win 7, This USB IR, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M56DI0, Antec Fusion Remote Black Case w/IR (For some commands) Like remote power on and off.

- kokoro - 2011-05-16

bodhi Wrote:Kokoro,

Did you first make sure that the jump works in list mode like you expect it to work? i.e. jumping to the corresponding section of the file names correctly?

Also, I've noticed you said you've copied the keyboard.xml file to userdata and modified it. If you did, try to have a small keyboard.xml file with only the redefinition of the keys you need. This is my entire keyboard.xml file in userdata area:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <h>AudioNextLanguage</h>
      <k>ActivateWindow(Favourites)</k>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
  <MyVideoLibrary>    
   <keyboard>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
   </keyboard>
  </MyVideoLibrary>
  <MyVideoFiles>
    <keyboard>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
    </keyboard>
  </MyVideoFiles>
  <MyMusicFiles>
    <keyboard>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
    </keyboard>  
  </MyMusicFiles>
  <MyMusicLibrary>
    <keyboard>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
    </keyboard>
  </MyMusicLibrary>
  <VirtualKeyboard>
    <keyboard>
      <two>Number2</two>
      <three>Number3</three>
      <four>Number4</four>
      <five>Number5</five>
      <six>Number6</six>
      <seven>Number7</seven>
      <eight>Number8</eight>
      <nine>Number9</nine>
    </keyboard>
  </VirtualKeyboard>
</keymap>

Hi bodhi,
I've replaced my keyboard.xml in userdata with only yours and triple checked if no changes has been made to system->keymaps->keyboard.xml, but it still doesn't work Sad
The jump didn't work in list mode as well, it won't jump to the corresponding section of the file names if I press 0-9 keys on the Harmony One. I previously tried with a Dell Gyration remote(great remote by the way :p ) but no luck there either. Everything else work well with my harmony and XBMC, and I use the DELL MCE USB RC6 IR Receiver, so I don't think it's a problem with it since it's RC6(ehome). Voilà, I run out of ideas and I'm not sure if I still have oher options to explore Sad
Anyway thanks for sharing your xml file, looks better than mine :p

- kokoro - 2011-05-16

v0va Wrote:Guys, I'm still getting a delay with Harmony One and XBMC, is there any way around this? I hope its a simple solution that won't require me to look through 43 pages. I've tried messing around with the delay settings and no luck. Has anyone actually been able to get the harmony one to work smoothly with their HTPC.

Win 7, This USB IR, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M56DI0, Antec Fusion Remote Black Case w/IR (For some commands) Like remote power on and off.

Hi vOva, I've tried every possible settings with my Harmony One, but it's still laggy. I've tried to change the delays in Harmony remote software and delays in computer keyboard settings, but you won't notice any improvement. I've also noticed the slow response between my popcornhour A100 and Harmony One.
Good luck.

- nailz60 - 2011-05-16

kokoro Wrote:Hi vOva, I've tried every possible settings with my Harmony One, but it's still laggy. I've tried to change the delays in Harmony remote software and delays in computer keyboard settings, but you won't notice any improvement. I've also noticed the slow response between my popcornhour A100 and Harmony One.
Good luck.

I have the same lag on my Harmony One. I have a HP IR receiver, but not the specified OVU400103/00 (5188-1667). I basically want to exhaust all options. So i found someone selling this exact model on eBay and ordered it. It arrived just a couple of minutes ago, unfortunately I am at work and unable to test it at the moment. But once I get home and set it up, I will let you know the results. I was told over and over to get a HP IR receiver and I did, but then after I receive it, then I find out it should be a specific model. If this doesn't work, I will just have to deal with the lag.

- bodhi - 2011-05-16

kokoro Wrote:Hi bodhi,
I've replaced my keyboard.xml in userdata with only yours and triple checked if no changes has been made to system->keymaps->keyboard.xml, but it still doesn't work Sad
The jump didn't work in list mode as well, it won't jump to the corresponding section of the file names if I press 0-9 keys on the Harmony One. I previously tried with a Dell Gyration remote(great remote by the way :p ) but no luck there either. Everything else work well with my harmony and XBMC, and I use the DELL MCE USB RC6 IR Receiver, so I don't think it's a problem with it since it's RC6(ehome). Voilà, I run out of ideas and I'm not sure if I still have oher options to explore Sad
Anyway thanks for sharing your xml file, looks better than mine :p

kokoro,

Try to reprogram the numbers button in Harmony setup again, once more time, using MCE Keyboard profile. Sometime a bad update could cause problem. The problem in list mode jumping indicates that the number buttons did not work at all.

Also if it still doesn't work, try to enter a TV channel number when you're in TV activity, you might not be able to do that either :-)

- v0va - 2011-05-17

nailz60 Wrote:I have the same lag on my Harmony One. I have a HP IR receiver, but not the specified OVU400103/00 (5188-1667). I basically want to exhaust all options. So i found someone selling this exact model on eBay and ordered it. It arrived just a couple of minutes ago, unfortunately I am at work and unable to test it at the moment. But once I get home and set it up, I will let you know the results. I was told over and over to get a HP IR receiver and I did, but then after I receive it, then I find out it should be a specific model. If this doesn't work, I will just have to deal with the lag.

Let me know please, looking forward towards your findings!

- kokoro - 2011-05-19

nailz60 Wrote:I have the same lag on my Harmony One. I have a HP IR receiver, but not the specified OVU400103/00 (5188-1667). I basically want to exhaust all options. So i found someone selling this exact model on eBay and ordered it. It arrived just a couple of minutes ago, unfortunately I am at work and unable to test it at the moment. But once I get home and set it up, I will let you know the results. I was told over and over to get a HP IR receiver and I did, but then after I receive it, then I find out it should be a specific model. If this doesn't work, I will just have to deal with the lag.

Hi, sorry for having been so long. I've just checked my Dell USB IR Receiver, the model is OVU412002/00, it works perfectly except for the lag. Did you experience any with yours?
Actually, I have the same lag when I try to control my X10 Marmitek Home Automation system with my Harmony One. For example, if I try to dim the lights, it takes forever, but if I use my other niversal remote(One-For-All), it's snappy, so i don't think the problem is related to the IR receiver.

bodhi Wrote:kokoro,

Try to reprogram the numbers button in Harmony setup again, once more time, using MCE Keyboard profile. Sometime a bad update could cause problem. The problem in list mode jumping indicates that the number buttons did not work at all.

Also if it still doesn't work, try to enter a TV channel number when you're in TV activity, you might not be able to do that either :-)

Hi bodhi, I've redone completely the XBMC activity in the Harmony remote Software using pure Keyboard commands(only MCE Keyboard profile) and again, when I go to Movie->Title->left pane:View:list->misc optionsConfusedearch->Enter search string...and try to enter any number from 1 to 9 all I got is &é"'(§è!çà, and if I press Caps Lock on my keyboard and try again my remote enters the following numbers:123456789 which is correct but won't "jump", funny isn't it?(or not Confused ).

Can you tell me if it's supposed to "Jump" if you type any number keys from 1 to 9 in the search field with your keyboard as well? Since the remote only emulates keyboards commands, I should be able to reproduce this with my keyboard right? So how can I check this and where in XBMC? Can you tell me how you manage this in XBMC in order for me to reproduce exactly what you do? Sorry to ask you a lot of things, but this remote is really driving me crazy and i want to be able to get rid of my keyboard completely. When I watch a movie I find it much more convenient to turn on/off everything at the same time with a remote, it's more waf and the backlighting of the keys is difficult to find on small keyboards.
Oh! And I'm still able to enter any TV channel number in TV activity, so I think my remote is fine.

v0va Wrote:Let me know please, looking forward towards your findings!

If you want to know anything more, just ask me and I will check for you, cheers.

- bodhi - 2011-05-19

kokoro Wrote:...
Hi bodhi, I've redone completely the XBMC activity in the Harmony remote Software using pure Keyboard commands(only MCE Keyboard profile) and again, when I go to Movie->Title->left pane:View:list->misc optionsConfusedearch->Enter search string...and try to enter any number from 1 to 9 all I got is &é"'(§è!çà, and if I press Caps Lock on my keyboard and try again my remote enters the following numbers:123456789 which is correct but won't "jump", funny isn't it?(or not Confused ).

Can you tell me if it's supposed to "Jump" if you type any number keys from 1 to 9 in the search field with your keyboard as well? Since the remote only emulates keyboards commands, I should be able to reproduce this with my keyboard right? So how can I check this and where in XBMC? Can you tell me how you manage this in XBMC in order for me to reproduce exactly what you do? Sorry to ask you a lot of things, but this remote is really driving me crazy and i want to be able to get rid of my keyboard completely. When I watch a movie I find it much more convenient to turn on/off everything at the same time with a remote, it's more waf and the backlighting of the keys is difficult to find on small keyboards.
Oh! And I'm still able to enter any TV channel number in TV activity, so I think my remote is fine.

I think it's good news that you can use it on your TV activity. So, now we've narrowed down to either Harmony MCE Keyboard profile, or the XBMC settings. Not the Harmony remote.

Exactly! the list jumps inside XBMC works the same way whether with a keyboard, or remote. So yes, you should be able to use the keyboard, navigate to the list of movies or musics, and then use the arrow down/up go one at the time, or press Shift 2, Shift 3, Shift 4,.... to go to ABC, DEF, GHI,.... For example, if you have movie names starting with A, B, and C then each Shift 2 press will cycle through each section started with those letters. If you can do that, then we know it's not XBMC. I have a nice wireless keyboard (Adesso) and a cheaper model that came with the Acer Revo 3600, and they both work fine. But like you , I only want to use the remote to control every thing (Keyboard is use only for maintenance works).

Another test: try to locate the Num Lock, Cap Lock, Scroll Lock on the remote and see if they somehow got stuck and interfere with the numbers. Especially Caps Lock and Num Lock. Your Caps Lock might have been stuck in the profile for some reason.

- garyparson - 2011-06-10

I'm trying to set up my Harmony One with the bog standard MCE IR Remote that i got off ebay but it wont do a single thing.. i only want to use it for basic up down left right and back and play stop functions. Tried adding the MCE Keyboard and remote functions as per post 1 but nothing. Any clues?

I've had the remote for a while and set up my tv, hd recorder, blu ray, xbox and wd live with it no problems with any of those.

- bodhi - 2011-06-11

garyparson Wrote:I'm trying to set up my Harmony One with the bog standard MCE IR Remote that i got off ebay but it wont do a single thing.. i only want to use it for basic up down left right and back and play stop functions. Tried adding the MCE Keyboard and remote functions as per post 1 but nothing. Any clues?

I've had the remote for a while and set up my tv, hd recorder, blu ray, xbox and wd live with it no problems with any of those.

Not enough info, how about posting the brand and model number of this MCE IR Remote?

- garyparson - 2011-06-11

bodhi Wrote:Not enough info, how about posting the brand and model number of this MCE IR Remote?
It's ok, i got it working now. I'm asuming in this thread there's a keymap for the harmony one that makes use of most keys. Struggling to get a backspace or esc key to work atm.. Both work on the original remote ok.

- Smithys - 2011-06-17

I am trying to get my harmony one working with xbmc. Have up ehome ir transceiver connected to my xp machine. Transceiver is shown up ok in device manager but nothing happens When the harmony one remote is used. Have tried it in a vista machine and it works ok.

I am running xp pro sp 3.

Any one got any pointers.

- matto81 - 2011-06-29

I have a problem with power options. When starting activity htpc my htpc won't start up. Activity htpc includes devices Media Center SE and MCE Keyboard. If I press MCE Keyboard power toggle htpc starts.

What could be wrong because it is not starting by pressing htpc activity?
I think it's not sending right power toggle but where to change it?

- bodhi - 2011-06-30

matto81 Wrote:I have a problem with power options. When starting activity htpc my htpc won't start up. Activity htpc includes devices Media Center SE and MCE Keyboard. If I press MCE Keyboard power toggle htpc starts.

What could be wrong because it is not starting by pressing htpc activity?
I think it's not sending right power toggle but where to change it?

Because both MCE keyboard and MCE SE device have power options, make sure that only one device, the MCE SE (or MCE Keyboard) is set up to have "One button to toggle Power" (in the Device page). And the other device (i.e. MCE Keyboard) device is set to have "No power button, or Always ON). And then in the XBMC Activity setup , make sure that the MCE SE device's Power Toggle button is sent (the MCE keyboard device will be shown the same way, but it does not really do anything).

If you use the MCE keyboard to control the power, then follow the same procedure. Either one of the two will work to control the Power ON/OFF.