Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

- bodhi - 2011-12-19

pbateman Wrote:"Machine is the PC.
HP Media Center Receiver like the one in the pictures.
Sony SXRD Projection TV.
4 devices; Sony TV, Onkyo Reciever, Windows Media Center, and MCE Keyboard.
This is a screenshot of my settings for the activity. You'll have to zoom in...

https://picasaweb.google.com/115936334154192965052/December182011#5687595102052139138

Was MCE Remote device set to have "No Power button"?

- pbateman - 2011-12-19

bodhi Wrote:Was MCE Remote device set to have "No Power button"?

Doesnt look like it. I changed it, seems to be working now. Thanks!

- bodhi - 2011-12-19

Silvaire Wrote:I have the same problem with my Xbox randomly turning on sometimes.

pbateman Wrote:Doesnt look like it. I changed it, seems to be working now. Thanks!

@Silvaire,

It might be the case with your setup, too!

Need Help with HP IR Receiver - pglover19 - 2011-12-21

I brought one of the HP IR receivers several days ago and received the unit today. The seller told me that the model # was 5188-1667 but when I received it today, the model number was 5187-4056. I specifically was looking to purchase the 5188-1667 based on reading this forum. Is there really a different between the two models? According to the device manager the 5187-4056 unit is a "e-Home Infrared Receiver (USBCIR). It seems to be working OK (not perfect) with my Harmony 880 remote. There still may be some tweaking with the delays in the Harmony software that I need to do.

During my testing, I have discovered another issue. I used this thread to setup the Generic Activity in the harmony remote software. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium edition. I have pinned the XBMC shortcut to the taskbar in position #5 (Win +5). The Generic Activity defined in the harmony software start the XBMC application (Win+5) on startup and close the XBMC application on shutdown (ALT+F4). However; I am having some inconsistent issues on startup. Sometimes the XBMC application starts up in full screen mode and sometimes it starts up in a small minimized window on the screen. This is only happening when I use the Harmony remote. Should I add a delay on the XBMC startup (- d parameter). Please advise on what I can try to resolve this issue.

- bodhi - 2011-12-21

pglover19 Wrote:I brought one of the HP IR receivers several days ago and received the unit today. The seller told me that the model # was 5188-1667 but when I received it today, the model number was 5187-4056. I specifically was looking to purchase the 5188-1667 based on reading this forum. Is there really a different between the two models? According to the device manager the 5187-4056 unit is a "e-Home Infrared Receiver (USBCIR). It seems to be working OK (not perfect) with my Harmony 880 remote. There still may be some tweaking with the delays in the Harmony software that I need to do.

During my testing, I have discovered another issue. I used this thread to setup the Generic Activity in the harmony remote software. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium edition. I have pinned the XBMC shortcut to the taskbar in position #5 (Win +5). The Generic Activity defined in the harmony software start the XBMC application (Win+5) on startup and close the XBMC application on shutdown (ALT+F4). However; I am having some inconsistent issues on startup. Sometimes the XBMC application starts up in full screen mode and sometimes it starts up in a small minimized window on the screen. This is only happening when I use the Harmony remote. Should I add a delay on the XBMC startup (- d parameter). Please advise on what I can try to resolve this issue.

Remember there are 2 different "start up":

1. Start up the Windows PC and run XBMC from the Startup folder
2. Start up the XBMC activity which includes the Win+5 at the end to run XBMC.

Which one are you having problem with?

- pglover19 - 2011-12-21

bodhi Wrote:Remember there are 2 different "start up":

1. Start up the Windows PC and run XBMC from the Startup folder
2. Start up the XBMC activity which includes the Win+5 at the end to run XBMC.

Which one are you having problem with?

I am having problems with #2. For me, my PC stays on all the time and I do not have XBMC starting automatically at Windows startup (#1 above).

Is the HP IR receiver the correct one? Once again I have model #5187-4056 and not 5188-1667 that was recommended in this forum.

- bodhi - 2011-12-21

pglover19 Wrote:I am having problems with #2. For me, my PC stays on all the time and I do not have XBMC starting automatically at Windows startup (#1 above).

Is the HP IR receiver the correct one? Once again I have model #5187-4056 and not 5188-1667 that was recommended in this forum.

Your IR receiver is fine! But to be sure, please post the link to the receiver where you purchased it so more information is available.

The "-d 10" option should be used only in XBMC shortcut in Windows Start up. There is no need for that if your PC already running.

The cause for minimized window could be something else was running in Windows that stole the focus from XBMC so it was minimized. Check to see if you have anything else running in the system tray that often brings itself into focus (even briefly but often).

- pglover19 - 2011-12-21

bodhi Wrote:Your IR receiver is fine! But to be sure, please post the link to the receiver where you purchased it so more information is available.

The "-d 10" option should be used only in XBMC shortcut in Windows Start up. There is no need for that if your PC already running.

The cause for minimized window could be something else was running in Windows that stole the focus from XBMC so it was minimized. Check to see if you have anything else running in the system tray that often brings itself into focus (even briefly but often).

Well, I added the "-d 10" parameter on the XBMC shortcut that is pinned to the task bar and now everything seems to be working fine. I am not having the minimize issue and the harmony remote is responding well to the HP IR Receiver model # 5187-4056. I will continue to test to see if the problem arises again.

- muscleathp - 2012-01-09

Have just used this guide to setup up my 515 and one for xbmc. Thankyou everyone for your help.

I do have one question though. With my HP IR Reciever a red light seems to alwasy be on. Should this be the case?

- brucek2 - 2012-01-09

My set up is a Harmony One emulating an MCE keyboard in conjunction with an old cheap IR receiver whose name I forget.

Everything works, sort of. By which I mean each key sometimes does what its supposed to do. But the issue is consistency: sometimes I have to press a key twice, or I press it once and I get two activations. And when I try to scroll through a long list, the process is closer to stuttering than too smooth.

Has anyone here overcome this issue? Is it as simple as I need to configure certain timings and retries into the Harmony? Or is this a function of my receiver and I'd get smoother results with a different one?

I do have a plasma TV mounted above the receiver. I'm not sure if its causing interference or not.

Edit: if there are known timings/retries configs that work better than others, would it be worth adding them to the first post?

- jhsrennie - 2012-01-09

muscleathp Wrote:Have just used this guide to setup up my 515 and one for xbmc. Thankyou everyone for your help.

I do have one question though. With my HP IR Reciever a red light seems to alwasy be on. Should this be the case?

Some receivers do this, some don't, and with some the red light flashes on and off for no obvious reason¹. As long as the receiver is working you can ignore the red light.

JR

¹ perhaps the red light comes on when the FBI are watching you through your TV screen

- pettergulbra - 2012-01-09

Hi

I have added my MCE Keyboard, bu I have three problems, one that are very lame to have.

To skip back I have added comma, but the key does not deliver the comma, but deliver semi colon. This don`t do anything, so I can`t skip back.

To other problems is not that a big, but still.
Sound controls: Plus (+) get to this ` (don`t know what it is called)
Minus (-) get do Plus (+).

Is there a way to fix this?
I don`t have the original keyboard, so I can`t learn the IR codes.

- jhsrennie - 2012-01-10

Are you using a Dutch or German keyboard or some other keyboard that has , and ; on the same key? If so the easiest solution is to add a mapping for ; to your keyboard.xml. I suggest you upgrade to Eden beta 1 as the handling of regional keyboard is much improved over v10.1.

To edit the keyboard mappings grab KeyMapEdit (v2 if you're using Eden) from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/. If you run KeyMapEdit and select Keymap/Detect keypress then you can just press the button on your remote and KeyMapEdit will add a mapping entry for it.

JR

- pettergulbra - 2012-01-10

Hi

I am using Norwegian keyboard, but I can`t choose this in the Logitech Program. So I think that from the remote is English. I have tried to set the keyboard input to English inside windows. But i does not help.

I`m a little bit afraid to go over to eden, because I have just get things to work goof in 10.1. But maybe I will try.

I tried to add semi colon i stead of comma, but that made the hole thing not work.
Inside the Keyboard.xml that is.

- jhsrennie - 2012-01-10

I've just checked in v10.1, and it does support mapping semicolon. I used:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <semicolon>notification(Keypress, semi-colon, 2)</semicolon>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

and this correctly mapped ; to the notification. You'd want to map it to the SkipPrevious action instead.

If you attempted to modify keyboard.xml and it broke all the keyboard mappings you probably made an error editing the file so XBMC couldn't load it. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Modifying_keyboard.xml for safe ways to create keyboard mappings. If you haven't done this before I strongly recommend using KeyMapEdit as it guarantees you safe XML.

JR