Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77519)

- bodhi - 2012-01-31

babca Wrote:bodhi: I meant multiple presses right next to each other, not just "press and hold" which works ok. For example, if I press [Down] 10 times in quick succession the cursor on screen will continue to move down for a second after last press on the remote.

When I point the Harmony to my camera (iPhone), it is visible that my Harmony sends IR codes after I stop pressing.

I'm curious because I have Harmony 650 right now and I wonder if it is worth to switch to 700...

Yes. I can see where the "lag" is :-) Pressing the H 700 arrow keys repeatedly really fast will cause the last few presses to be queued. No wonder I never experience it :-) I never use the remote that way. I usually either press the key at a normal pace, or holding it down to advance quickly. It really does not bother me to know there is a queuing there. IMO, it is expected behavior. it's not lagging, really.

You could change the inter-key interval to make it transmit faster. However, don't change it to 0 (I recall that it does not work).

- babca - 2012-01-31

Yes I tried everything, Harmony 650 is simply slow in processing button presses.

>>X<<' Wrote:have you even tried changing the Inter-Device Delay
You mean interkey Wink ... inter-device delay is different thing (but I'm sure you already know this)

bodhi Wrote:Pressing the H 700 arrow keys repeatedly really fast will cause the last few presses to be queued. No wonder I never experience it :-)
Great, I wanted to hear that, thanks. I was asking because every time someone shows up who says his Harmony (300, 700...) is *totally* lag free.

bodhi, could you post here your harmony settings? Like delays, repeats, device you used, your OS.. I'd like to test it on my setup Smile

- Desisuperman - 2012-01-31

Desisuperman Wrote:Great write up and thanks for the great info.

One issue thus far.. I'm having problems with my XBOX turning on/off when I hit the powertoggle on my harmony one. I know I can disable this powertoggle all together BUT i prefer to keep my XBMC (PC) in suspend mode when not being used.

I want to prevent the harmony one from communicating with the XBOX when i'm using my XBMC.. how can I do that.

Some background info:
Harmony One remote
Microsoft OVU4003 IR and using the Harmony One as MCE Keyboard

Thanks in advance for the assistance Smile

Anybody.. :confused2:

- bodhi - 2012-02-01

babca Wrote:Yes I tried everything, Harmony 650 is simply slow in processing button presses.

You mean interkey Wink ... inter-device delay is different thing (but I'm sure you already know this)

Great, I wanted to hear that, thanks. I was asking because every time someone shows up who says his Harmony (300, 700...) is *totally* lag free.

bodhi, could you post here your harmony settings? Like delays, repeats, device you used, your OS.. I'd like to test it on my setup Smile

My setup:
Win 7
MCE SE keyboard
Inter-key delay: 100ms
Repeat: don't know

Again, I don't think it is a lag. Smart remotes would have a queuing effect if you press the key too quickly. If a remote does not have queuing, then your press would not count before it finishes sending the signal. It also depends on the type of signal it sends (some are short, some are really long). IMO, if the remote is responsive within its frame (counting the inter-key delays within and the duration of the signals) then there is no lag. If you are happy with the responsiveness of the remote, it's all that matter.

Wish I know the signal duration. It'll take some research, but the info is available, iirc. Once people see the data, it should prove the theory whether it is really lagging, or simply queuing the signals.

- bodhi - 2012-02-01

Desisuperman Wrote:Anybody.. :confused2:

Is the Xbox part of the your Harmony setup (i.e. there is a XBOX device programmed in the Harmony)?

- Desisuperman - 2012-02-01

bodhi Wrote:Is the Xbox part of the your Harmony setup (i.e. there is a XBOX device programmed in the Harmony)?

The xbox is listed as a device but not used in any activities. I have a Gateway RC6 WMCE remote that came with my IR. That remote will turn on the xbox on/off as well when i use it with my XBMC PC
The Harmony one learned the powertoggle command from the WMCE remote.

i removed it as a device and still no luck Sad

- bodhi - 2012-02-01

Desisuperman Wrote:i removed it as a device and still no luck Sad

Have you tried switching to MCE SE keyboard device?

bodhi Wrote:Have you tried switching to MCE SE keyboard device?

no i have not.. I will try that and see if that works

- Mandrix - 2012-02-03

Mandrix Wrote:Hi folks,
New guy here.
Ordered this IR receiver on Ebay before I found this excellent thread:

SMK Media Center USB RC6 IR XP VISTA Win7 Remote Control Receiver

Anyone have experience with this IR, good or bad?

I'm in the process of building my HTPC so don't have XBMC up and running yet.
I have a Harmony 520 remote.

Thanks!

I just wanted to verify that this does show up as a ehome receiver in Win 7, in case anyone decides to buy one off ebay.

- johnmerrick - 2012-02-03

Is there a list anywhere that shows what the different key combinations with the Windows Media Center SE do within XBMC?

I have programmed my harmony to start and stop (win+1 and ALT+F4 etc) but is there any other useful things the other combo's do?

Also, I seem to be struggling with the 'skip' buttons on my harmony. I have tried the '.' and 'comma' but they don't work for everything. What device is best for these?

thanks

edit: found them: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes-Programming/Expanded-control-for-Windows-Media-Center-now-available-in-our/m-p/374844#M37810

- cd492 - 2012-02-03

Just wanted to say thanks for this really helpful guide!

- bodhi - 2012-02-03

johnmerrick Wrote:Is there a list anywhere that shows what the different key combinations with the Windows Media Center SE do within XBMC?

I have programmed my harmony to start and stop (win+1 and ALT+F4 etc) but is there any other useful things the other combo's do?

Also, I seem to be struggling with the 'skip' buttons on my harmony. I have tried the '.' and 'comma' but they don't work for everything. What device is best for these?

thanks

edit: found them: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes-Programming/Expanded-control-for-Windows-Media-Center-now-available-in-our/m-p/374844#M37810

Several useful keys in MCE SE: Win+Up, Win+Down, Control-Esc,... when you are inside XBMC and wants to take a peek of the desktop. Other than that, they can be programmed to certain commands or actions in XBMC keyboard.xml. For example, I define Control-W as "Switch Profile", so on.... So they are in the LCD pages as soft buttons.

- idioteque87 - 2012-02-08

With my eharmony remote, whenever i seem to press a key, it repeats that key over and over (like ithe key is being held down) and the only way to stop it is to power the remote off.

Has anyone else seen this?

Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks

- J30EF - 2012-02-18

can anyone help me please

I have a htpc setup and i am using XMBC

when i turn the sound up with my harmony one whilst watching a film, the volume down button makes the film skip to the start and the volume up button makes the film fast forward, very annoying Smile

any ideas?