Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] iPhoto Plugin Addon for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Picture Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=150)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] iPhoto Plugin Addon for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=77612)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

- Toxic Man - 2012-01-26

I have a lot of imported iPhone video, and this appears to be the only one affected. I don't have the xml file open at the moment, but I think all three errors reference this same file. When I search my iPhoto library for the file name, two instances appear and neither the thumb nail or the video original is contained in the directory referenced in the xml file.

I'm going to delete that directory (don't care if I lose the file anyway) and re-run the plug update and see what happens...

Will post back shortly...

- jingai - 2012-01-26

Toxic Man Wrote:I have a lot of imported iPhone video, and this appears to be the only one affected. I don't have the xml file open at the moment, but I think all three errors reference this same file. When I search my iPhoto library for the file name, two instances appear and neither the thumb nail or the video original is contained in the directory referenced in the xml file.

That's likely the problem then -- either the import was cancelled or it just plain failed. iPhoto didn't handle the error condition properly, and filled those keys with garbage values because it couldn't parse the original video. Just a guess Smile

Toxic Man Wrote:I'm going to delete that directory (don't care if I lose the file anyway) and re-run the plug update and see what happens...

It's still not likely to work since those entries exist in the XML. If the affected assets don't appear in the iPhoto GUI so you can delete them, you'll probably need to manually remove the lines from the <dict> to </dict> for each affected asset. Be certain to quit iPhoto before you do this. And be careful which text editor you choose to use so as to not mess up any unicode characters and line endings. VI(m) I know for certain works. Not sure about TextEdit and other Mac editors though. Definitely make a backup of the file if you're not sure.

If you're not comfortable doing it, I can do it for you. You'd need to quit iPhoto, send me the current XML file, and I'll send it back to you, minus the corrupt assets. You shouldn't start iPhoto again until I get the new XML to you, but I'm at the computer tonight probably until around 9PM EST so I'll have it back to you quickly if you want to do this.

-j

- Toxic Man - 2012-01-26

jingai Wrote:If you're not comfortable doing it, I can do it for you. You'd need to quit iPhoto, send me the current XML file, and I'll send it back to you, minus the corrupt assets. You shouldn't start iPhoto again until I get the new XML to you, but I'm at the computer tonight probably until around 9PM EST so I'll have it back to you quickly if you want to do this.

-j

You have the latest and current. Please edit and send back, that would be greatly appreciated...

- jingai - 2012-01-26

Toxic Man Wrote:You have the latest and current. Please edit and send back, that would be greatly appreciated...

If you're certain, I'll do so.

Just so you know, the affected files are:

IMG_0915.mov
IMG_0927.mov
IMG_0929.mov

I'm going to guess given the filenames that they were probably all in the same import session. I figured I'd list them out for you though in case any of them are important to you.

You'll have a PM shortly with a link to the edited file. I can't really test it, so if it doesn't load in iPhoto, just let me know.

-j

- Toxic Man - 2012-01-26

very much appreciated. I know all three of those files...
and all three are in another directory, and appear fine in the GUI. Will of course backup my xml file first!

- Toxic Man - 2012-01-26

PM Received. loading now...

- jingai - 2012-01-29

Version 1.7.0 has been pushed up to address referenced masters and to gracefully deal with a corrupted add-on database.

-j

Change default path - gerdehaas - 2012-02-01

Hi, This addon keeps giving addon database is corrupt you will need to rescan. I do not succeed in doing this as I cannot change the path i.e this path now shows /var/mobile/Pictures/iPhoto Library/ and it should in my opinion be the path to my iMac i.e. users/gerdehaas/Pictures/Iphoto Library/ could you tell me how to fix this? Thanks Gerry

jingai Wrote:This plugin imports an iPhoto library into XBMC. It's a port of d4rk's original iPhoto plugin circa 2008 to XBMC's new addons system.

If someone wants to translate the plugin to other language(s), feel free to do so and send me a patch.

From the README:

iPhoto plugin for XBMC
======================
This plugin imports an iPhoto library into XBMC. After importing, you will see categories that correspond with their iPhoto counterparts:

* Events
* Albums
* Faces
* Places
* Keywords
* Ratings

Configuration
=============
The plugin needs to know where your AlbumData.xml file is. If you haven't explicitly pointed iPhoto to a non-standard library location, the default of "~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/AlbumData.xml" should work fine. Otherwise, please enter in the correct path in the plugin's settings dialog.

The iPhoto plugin can also be configured to ignore certain album types. It is currently hard-coded to ignore albums of type "Book" and "Selected Event Album," but you can choose to ignore also:

* Empty -- albums with no pictures.
* Published -- MobileMe Gallery albums.
* Flagged -- albums flagged in iPhoto's interface.

All of these album types are ignored by default.

If you select "Auto update library", the plugin will compare the modification time of your AlbumData.xml with its current database and update the database automatically on start. This is disabled by default, but is probably what you want after testing the plugin.

You can also choose the view style for albums if you're using the Confluence skin. You may set this to "Image Wrap," "Pic Thumbs," or "Default". If you choose "Default," it will preserve whatever view mode you have chosen in XBMC for each album; otherwise, it will force the view style to the one selected
here.

About Places support
====================
If the plugin is configured to support the Places feature of iPhoto, it will parse the latitude/longitude pairs in iPhoto's database and look up the corresponding addresses using Google.

If Google reports one or more businesses near the coordinates, the plugin will use the name of the nearest business for the address to show in the Places category. Otherwise, the street address will be used. In both cases, the post code and country identifier are appended to the result.

The Places feature also downloads map images to display while you're browsing the Places category. Normally, you won't need to do anything to get this feature, besides enabling it in the plugin configuration. But, if you import your library many times within one day, Google may block you from retrieving map images. If you receive a map image with a red X over it, the plugin won't re-download the map until you clear the map image caches. You can do so by selecting "Remove cached maps" from the context menu of the Places category.

Translations
============
If you'd like to help translate this plugin to another language, please send a patch to jingai at floatingpenguins dot com.

If possible, patch against the most recent version at:

http://github.com/jingai/plugin.image.iphoto

Known Issues
============
* Sorting by Date sorts on the file date, not the EXIF date.
See http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10519
* Need icons for Faces, Places, and Keywords.

- jingai - 2012-02-02

gerdehaas Wrote:Hi, This addon keeps giving addon database is corrupt you will need to rescan. I do not succeed in doing this as I cannot change the path i.e this path now shows /var/mobile/Pictures/iPhoto Library/ and it should in my opinion be the path to my iMac i.e. users/gerdehaas/Pictures/Iphoto Library/ could you tell me how to fix this?

You have to tell the addon where your library is. It will guess "~/Pictures/iPhoto Library" if you don't provide a path. It otherwise cannot know where your library is.

Either select "Add-on Settings" from the context menu or go to System->Settings->Addons and navigate to the iphoto addon to configure it.

-j

Editing location - gerdehaas - 2012-02-03

jingai Wrote:You have to tell the addon where your library is. It will guess "~/Pictures/iPhoto Library" if you don't provide a path. It otherwise cannot know where your library is.

Either select "Add-on Settings" from the context menu or go to System->Settings->Addons and navigate to the iphoto addon to configure it.

-j

Thanks for kind advice, but somewhere I am missing the clue. In my opinion I should be able to edit the path, but there is no way I can do this. Could you give me a short guideline how to edit this? I have all possible connections with my iMac from the ATV2 including access to my movies from the Atv2 in XBMC but somehow I am missing the clue for iPhoto addon thanks Gerry

- jingai - 2012-02-03

gerdehaas Wrote:Thanks for kind advice, but somewhere I am missing the clue. In my opinion I should be able to edit the path, but there is no way I can do this.

I assume you mean as opposed to bringing up the file browser and choosing the path. I agree, honestly, but that's not my add-on's fault.

gerdehaas Wrote:Could you give me a short guideline how to edit this? I have all possible connections with my iMac from the ATV2 including access to my movies from the Atv2 in XBMC but somehow I am missing the clue for iPhoto addon thanks Gerry

I'm going to assume you're on an AppleTV2 or iPhone/iPad/etc given the path the add-on chose by default. For these devices, you need to add a dummy video source with the smb or afp path to the library to be able to navigate to it from within the add-on. Just set the source to have no scraper and it won't try to actually import the items into your library.

After you've added the video source, open the add-on settings and point the add-on at the location of your library -- the path to "iPhoto Library".

On devices with full operating systems (aka computers), you could simply mount the network share via the OS, but on iOS devices that's a bit more involved, so I suggest you do it via the dummy video source.

-j

- JUICESIX90 - 2012-02-09

Excellent plug-in thank you for your hard work. Had it set up in just a few minutes.

I do have a question though. Should I be seing previews of the images in my library? At the moment I just get the place holder icon. Except for the movies that is, they show up ok.

My library is shared via ftp, my my openelec linux setup, to my mac iPhoto (latest ilife version) library.

Aperture support - perscitus - 2012-02-09

Hi jingai.

I can only imagine how much work you have put into the iPhotos plugin, and I have seen your answer regarding Aperture support ...link below.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70363

I have been looking for a solution my self....and came over this script for PS3 mediaserver.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11539

It looks like someone made a simple way of looking into the Aperture database, rewriting an iPhoto script.

Could this be part of the solution you were asking for in the thread about Aperture support?

I would just love if that came to be ;O)

Good work...in any case!

\perscitus

- smiller29 - 2012-02-09

JUICESIX90 Wrote:Excellent plug-in thank you for your hard work. Had it set up in just a few minutes.

I do have a question though. Should I be seing previews of the images in my library? At the moment I just get the place holder icon. Except for the movies that is, they show up ok.

My library is shared via ftp, my my openelec linux setup, to my mac iPhoto (latest ilife version) library.

I am having the same issue the thumbnails don't show up if I tell it to regenerate them it does but they don't stay there. if you leave the plugin and come back they are gone. I am using the plugin on Beta 2 and ATV2 and OSX and it is happening on both. I also use a MySQL DB that is shared with both installs of xbmc. Is this the way this was designed to work or should it save the thumbnails?

- jingai - 2012-02-09

JUICESIX90 Wrote:Excellent plug-in thank you for your hard work. Had it set up in just a few minutes.

Yes, you should be seeing thumbnails. Please enable debugging and send me your debug log.

If you don't mind, it'd be helpful to see your AlbumData.xml as well.

-j